Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ABU using different tapes?

Default ABU using different tapes?

I just got a half case (40) of ABU Simples the other day and just got to try one out. I used my last Simple from my previous stock earlier in the day, and switched to the new batch. I noticed when I pulled one of the new ones out that the tapes had a darker blue on them, but didn't think anything of it at first. Nothing happened until a few hours later when I realized the diaper felt loose around my legs in the back. Turns out -both- of the bottom tapes had broken on me. This is a little strange, because I use duct tape to secure the front parts of the tapes to the front part of the diaper's landing zone. They actually ripped where the tapes are attached to the diaper! Maybe I like my diapers too tight, but I've never had -both- bottom tapes fail on the same diaper. Rarely, I would have one fail, but never both.

So I was wondering, has anyone else noticed a change in the tape quality in ABU Simple/Space/etc in the past few months? The last batch of Simples I used were from December.

I am also on the second half of a case of little paws i bought in early January and I've noticed the exact same thing. the tapes are coming off where they are attached to the diaper, not where they are stuck on the landing zone.
    I haven't had a problem with any other order, but i will be submitting a ticket specifically for this because any extended wear period the tapes "slide" off the shell.
    Not earth shattering, just aggravating.

Just got my newest batch of little pawz. Last night was the last one from my previous case so I'll keep an eye on it tonight when I change for bed. Hopefully its an isolated problem. Or maybe it only affected the simple?

I've had the same issue with Simple's. Either one or two bottom tapes will break with extended wear, or top tapes will slip overnight. I'm glad to hear that this didn't used to be a thing. I'm on half a case left from a full case purchased back in late December. I haven't had any issues with any of their other products either.

This a little disconcerting since I personally consider ABU the new "gold standard". Don't get me wrong, I still love and respect em and no company can "bat 1000", but I don't want them to slip down the same route Bambino did (not that Bambino is bad, just noticeably less quality than their earlier stuff without a change in price to reflect it). I'm sure Casey will do whatever is best though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I haven't noticed a decrease in capacity or anything like that. Still absorbent as ever. Just the tape problem, which can be mitigated with adding your own tape. It -was- only 1 diaper, and I haven't tried out another one to see if it's a consistent issue yet. Just trying to put the question out there to see if anyone else has experienced anything similar. Less sturdy tapes, while still a problem, aren't anywhere near as bad as intentionally decreasing capacity without explanation. Like skuru said, not earth shattering, just aggravating.

If I find it's a recurring problem, I'll update. I'm hoping it was just a single manufacturing defect, which does happen from time to time. Not trying to throw shade unnecessarily here. ABU is my fav diaper company and I'd hate to see them go down like that.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCaptain View Post
    This a little disconcerting since I personally consider ABU the new "gold standard". Don't get me wrong, I still love and respect em and no company can "bat 1000", but I don't want them to slip down the same route Bambino did (not that Bambino is bad, just noticeably less quality than their earlier stuff without a change in price to reflect it). I'm sure Casey will do whatever is best though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    There was a manufacturing glitch in one of the tape runs from 3M that caused part of a batch to be hit-or-miss. We didn't elect for any changes on the product at all since anything was launched, it was just a variation of the tape from 3M itself. We're switching to a different tape manufacturer we've used in the past that's had a 100% solid track record for the past 8 years, and we'll see those start to hit the USA/Canada/UK/Japan in late April. For now, if it's a problem for you, please consider using a little extra tape. If that's not working at all for you, please contact us at [email protected] and we'll look at some other options (including a discount/replacement once the new batch is in).

-Respectfully,
    Casey Strom, ABU

Hey Casey, any idea when the new batch might hit AU?

Quote Originally Posted by okram View Post
    Hey Casey, any idea when the new batch might hit AU?
    I'm going to say early May, but don't hold me to that please.

Quote Originally Posted by klo555 View Post
    I'm going to say early May, but don't hold me to that please.
    Early may?!?! I'm out of preschools DX and they are the only diaper I wear right now... Not into the other Plastic backed options...