Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Work Stress

Default Work Stress

How do you deal with it? You can't exactly go meditate for a half hour and come back to work. My boss has a tendency to say normal things in a way that makes me feel really bad. To the point of resurfacing shall we say... past thoughts I didn't want to remember I had. It's usually on Friday of all days that she gets this way. I know she's busy, I know she has things to do, so why do I feel like death? I should feel bad to a degree for bugging her on a busy day, but this is severe emotions being brought back up. I forgot today is her busiest day of the week and I was just asking about getting a different chair because the one I have hurts my back after awhile. It's more of a half hour chair, not a 10 hour chair. It's such a minor thing but it felt like I was asking for her paycheck. I know it's stupid... but I just don't understand why it brought up so many unpleasant memories. I love my job, I love my bosses, it's just this one thing one of them does. It could stem from experiencing so much rejection in my life.

Quote Originally Posted by INCONTAL View Post
    I go to the gun club.
    Do you take the boss with you?

I go to the gun club.
    That is... not an option for me since I have had depression and suicidal tendencies much too recently. I'm doing a whole lot better, but they wouldn't let me buy one for sure. Let alone own one. I would absolutely love to, but I also never shot a gun past a BB or a heavy Pellet gun. I want to get a gun and a bow, but the regulations probably wouldn't allow for it.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes because i am the boss lol.
    Lol

I am not sure what kind of work that you do.

Asking for a more productivity inducing chair shows your awareness to work hard. That is not an unreasonable thing. The other thing is to show the initiative and solve the problem on your own, (if other chairs are available) or bring a seat cushion from home.

I worked for the County Election Department. They got "good chairs", but like you said they where 90 minute chairs not 8 hour. I brought my own cushion, but it was too "frilly". So I had to bring a different one the next day.

Keep up the good work.

Egor

Well, we know you're a runner.....

I had a boss once who was a complete dick.... After butting heads a few times, he realized he couldn't push me around. He still had problems with a few other folks though, and ultimately had to take company mandated anger management classes.

After he understood himself a little better, we became good friends, although still very contentious in a lot of work situations. It was OK by me since I wasn't easily offended and he knew that. I recall in particular one meeting that wasn't going well. He knew my habits, and probably noted that I was starting to twitch. "Maxx, isn't it time for your lunchtime run?"

I went out and set a personal record for 5 miles. Alone. Then went back and we got the job done.

No advice for most of your post, but my approach to stress at work has been to try and maintain perspective. While my job is important to me, it's still just a job.

I also do some risk mitigation around the possibility of losing my job. I keep my resume up to date, keep an eye what's out there job wise, and have around 6 months living expenses set aside as an emergency fund. I think knowing that if worst comes to worst and I get fired or laid off that I'm not gonna have to scramble in a mad panic takes a lot of weight off my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxx View Post
    Well, we know you're a runner.....

I had a boss once who was a complete dick.... After butting heads a few times, he realized he couldn't push me around. He still had problems with a few other folks though, and ultimately had to take company mandated anger management classes.

After he understood himself a little better, we became good friends, although still very contentious in a lot of work situations. It was OK by me since I wasn't easily offended and he knew that. I recall in particular one meeting that wasn't going well. He knew my habits, and probably noted that I was starting to twitch. "Maxx, isn't it time for your lunchtime run?"

I went out and set a personal record for 5 miles. Alone. Then went back and we got the job done.
    Yeah, finding ways to relieve stress is a good way to go, especially one that involves physical activity. I go for walks and I bike ride. As a church music director, I have a lot of people to please and of course, you can't please everyone. I've learned to take it in stride. I've also learned to do my job well and pay attention to details. I also learned at an early age to make lists and plan events way in the future so that things didn't take me by surprise. Having good communication skills can also prevent situations that would contribute to stress.

Just develop some kind of "F*** you" attitude, really. If you hate your boss you kinda hate your job. Look for other jobs and decide that you can leave if you want. Put money aside, form a financial safety cushion. If you have a real choice to be there you will be able to cope a lot better with stressful situations.