know energy drinks are bad, is it okay to have one once a day or every other day? I'm not caffeine sensitive and I limit it as best I can

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scifer555

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Diaperfur
So I know as I stated, overall they're bad. So is coffee to a degree, probably less so than energy drinks. Which I love both but only do one or the other depending on my craving. Pop probably ranks 2nd on the bad for you list, but I drink that once a day so that's something to take into account. No, it has not affected my sleep all that much. What do you guys think? I feel okay and am not experiencing any horrible side affects.

Personally I can go through 4-6 monsters a day and not have any ill effects. It all depends on you.

w0lfpack91 said:
Personally I can go through 4-6 monsters a day and not have any ill effects. It all depends on you.
I've heard there are apps to determine if it's safe, my friend used one said it's about 4 for me but at most I drink 2 a day if I have more than one. It doesn't help when some have really great deals on them, but I will still keep a watchful eye on it regardless.

Coffee is actually good for you... up to a point. I drink coffee. It seems much cheaper.
Although the creamers technically aren't healthy. Unfortunately, I can rarely ever stand coffee without it.
I can probably count the number of energy drinks I've ever had on two hands.

My friend had one a day and it killed him.
The UK banned them.

w0lfpack91 said:

Holy crap! That's insane! It's really not good to have multiple servings of sugary drinks every day!

I had a friend who guzzled about the same number of 250ml energy drinks a day and ended up with nasty gastro-intestinal problems (which fortunately got better after a few weeks of abstinence).

There are a number of worrying news articles that suggest that they might be causing harm when consumed excessively. Like this one: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-37834002

foxkits said:

Just one a day?! Wow... How did that not make the news?! :-/

foxkits said:
The UK banned them.

Nope; they're still legal. Different countries have different food standards, and generally the standards are higher in Europe, so maybe there are more restrictions on caffeine content, etc., but they're still widely available.

You haven't experienced energy drinks at their full potential if you haven't ever pounded, guzzled, hoarded, and lived for days at a time off of a mixture of RipIt's, tobacco, and motrin in the ceaseless heat of the desert.

w0lfpack91 said:

The problem though is that down the line it's very likely to cause problems. Not guaranteed to cause problems, but it greatly increases the odds. That's one of the reasons so many rock stars and other celebs die around their late 40s to 60s. All the cocaine and other life choices they made when they're younger ultimately ended up getting to them. Not to mention one of my coworkers worked with someone who drank large amounts of energy drinks (similar to the amount you drink) and ended up having a heart attack in his mid twenties.

With that said I'll have one or two every now and then when necessary cause it's worth it to me when it gets to that point (I have an hour commute in the morning and start at 6am at least 5 days a week so I'll let my heart and rest of my body take one for the team), otherwise I'll stick with coffee which I actually enjoy and don't drink just for the energy.

To the OP, having one a day or especially every other day wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. If you're a healthy individual I'd imagine it wouldn't cause too severe effects. The problem isn't really the caffeine though, it's the caffeine PLUS all the sugar and other chemicals they put in it. And those can only have a negative effect so any amount you take in is definitely not going to be good (even it's not bad which is best case scenario). I'm not a doctor but the less processed sugar and chemicals you ingest the better. If you can switch to coffee (it doesn't even have to be black coffee) that'd probably be better

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There's been a lot of bad press over energy drinks, where as with coffee, it's considered to fight cancer. I drink between three and four cups of coffee a day but I won't go near an energy drink. That said, I did drink Gatoraid when I was playing softball in the summer. It kept me from having horrible cramps when I was running the bases, so there's a place for everything and also a time to drink them.

My 16 year old nephew landed in the hospital about two months ago due to drinking two Monsters a day for a long while. In a double irony, his caffeine intake was so high it was causing him chest pains and heart arrhythmia. Not until he was feeling the ill effects of too much of these things did he go to the ER. He was in for almost a week, after fairly extensive testing they found he had a heart condition that had gone undetected until then. Doctors told him he could have killed himself if he would have had any more the day he was feeling chest pains.

In other words, they nearly killed him and saved his life.

ShippoFox said:
Coffee is actually good for you... up to a point. I drink coffee. It seems much cheaper.
Although the creamers technically aren't healthy. Unfortunately, I can rarely ever stand coffee without it.

I rarely drink milk anymore without coffee creamer. It's gotta have coffee creamer, chocolate syrup, or both. Both in a baby bottle is fucking amazing.

I've never had an energy drink. With the caffeine content and my tachycardia, enough could probably kill me.

Generally the so called "death" or heart attack from energy drinks, aren't caused by the energy drinks, but underlying health problems in the first place.

If something isn't well understood (either in general or by the person), people generally jump on the, oh that did it bandwagon, people do the same with vaccines and video games.

Heart problems and undiagnosed heart problems are quite common, and you're not supposed to have any form caffeine, even some stimulants when you have heart problems. If you have heart problems and drink two to three cups of coffee, obviously you may end up in the ER this happens all the time with undiagnosed heart problems.

Energy drinks themselves are generally "safe", It can trigger problems with people with undiagnosed or diagnosed heart problems as it's equal to generally two cups of coffee, high amounts of sugar can lead to diabetes or cause diabetic shock etc, too much vitamins by themselves can cause other issues.

I'll give you a good example of what I'm referring too lets say you have undiagnosed diabetes, and you get a shock from having a can of coca-cola is it the sodas fault, not really, you have a condition and anything can literally trigger it, people just like to point at whatever they drank or ate last. It's human nature.

Energy drinks and even coffee are KNOWN to cause problems with people with diagnosed or undiagnosed heart problems most people can drink them without problem just like coffee, a lot of teens drink energy drinks, so obviously a handful of people are going to drop dead from a heart condition, than parents go sue the soda company.

It's the same as you don't give alcohol to a person with liver failure or kidney failure, most healthy adults can consume safely consume 400-500 MGs of caffeine, though that most likely will kill someone with heart problems, just like certain medication etc.

The problem with the news is they often leave out valuable information, and generally jump on the "oh that did it" bandwagon, you never see people do that with coffee.

There safe for most people, and tons of people drink them daily, but that being said there not that healthy.

Plus it's quite easy to overdose on caffeine, and caffeine overdose can kill you, but the same can go with coffee, caffeine pills or caffeine powder, energy drinks are just the scapegoat.

Lets say this, if someone is overweight, eats KFC every single day 3 times a day, than dies randomly after drinking a energy drink, it must be the energy drink (that's how the news works)

Someone shoots up a school (they blame it on video games, or the parents, or mental illness)

Someone dies from caffeine intoxication, from energy drinks, they blame the energy drinks without realizing anything with caffeine can do the exact same thing.

I'll give another example, I knew a girl who had incurable brain stem cancer, there parents blamed it on all kinds of things, the microwave, television, the school etc.

Caffeine can trigger all kinds of problems, that includes coffee, soda, chocolate bars etc, people just blame the energy drinks without a second thought into the matter.

http://nypost.com/2017/01/15/monster-energy-drinks-killed-my-son-dad/

According to TMZ, the lawsuit claims Hood died of cardiac arrythmia triggered by excess caffeine consumption.

It's not too uncommon for caffeine to trigger problems in those with health problems, heart problems etc, if you drink 3-4 cups of coffee a day, chances of a energy drink killing you are slim.

Teenagers are more likely to drink energy drinks, or soda because they hate the taste of coffee, a lot of people can have heart problems and not know.

Last edited:
Reactions: Scifer555
foxkits said:
The UK banned them.
It is quite possible he had a caffeine sensitivity, it will do that to those with it. As I said I try not to have them that often, but at most twice a day every other day. I'm aware of the risks involved, but I will try to switch back to coffee.

- - - Updated - - -

ShippoFox said:
Oh I know, but there is a limit on what makes coffee good for you (I LOVE coffee by the way but I have one or the other, coffee or energy drinks, both would be bad). I can drink coffee black, but I prefer the ratio of creamer to coffee is either equalized in such a way, that I taste both, or there is a small amount with really great tasting coffee.

- - - Updated - - -

Llayden said:
You haven't experienced energy drinks at their full potential if you haven't ever pounded, guzzled, hoarded, and lived for days at a time off of a mixture of RipIt's, tobacco, and motrin in the ceaseless heat of the desert.
You um, you have health insurance right? Lol that sounds really awful for you. It also sounds incredibly insane. If you don't die from that, more power to you.

- - - Updated - - -

tiny said:
Holy crap! That's insane! It's really not good to have multiple servings of sugary drinks every day!

I had a friend who guzzled about the same number of 250ml energy drinks a day and ended up with nasty gastro-intestinal problems (which fortunately got better after a few weeks of abstinence).

There are a number of worrying news articles that suggest that they might be causing harm when consumed excessively. Like this one: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-37834002

Just one a day?! Wow... How did that not make the news?! :-/

Nope; they're still legal. Different countries have different food standards, and generally the standards are higher in Europe, so maybe there are more restrictions on caffeine content, etc., but they're still widely available.
Just going to do a numbered response to avoid confusion.

1:It IS insane, that can't be good at all for you but caffeine tolerance is a tricky thing.

2: Is it in the news somewhere? o.o One a day sounds harmless to me but I'm not a doctor so maybe it would be bad for your heart.

3: They are definitely legal in the UK, I see UK streamers with them all the time.

There is some evidence that energy drinks might be bad for you. It's also pretty well accepted they are not good for you too.

If the expected outcome of drinking them is either neutral, or possibly bad, for you in the long term, then why drink them at all.

TheCaptain said:
The problem though is that down the line it's very likely to cause problems. Not guaranteed to cause problems, but it greatly increases the odds. That's one of the reasons so many rock stars and other celebs die around their late 40s to 60s. All the cocaine and other life choices they made when they're younger ultimately ended up getting to them. Not to mention one of my coworkers worked with someone who drank large amounts of energy drinks (similar to the amount you drink) and ended up having a heart attack in his mid twenties.

With that said I'll have one or two every now and then when necessary cause it's worth it to me when it gets to that point (I have an hour commute in the morning and start at 6am at least 5 days a week so I'll let my heart and rest of my body take one for the team), otherwise I'll stick with coffee which I actually enjoy and don't drink just for the energy.

To the OP, having one a day or especially every other day wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. If you're a healthy individual I'd imagine it wouldn't cause too severe effects. The problem isn't really the caffeine though, it's the caffeine PLUS all the sugar and other chemicals they put in it. And those can only have a negative effect so any amount you take in is definitely not going to be good (even it's not bad which is best case scenario). I'm not a doctor but the less processed sugar and chemicals you ingest the better. If you can switch to coffee (it doesn't even have to be black coffee) that'd probably be better

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I do love coffee, I just have been having energy drinks every now and again, I figured it wouldn't be a good to have both. I am quite healthy actually, lean, fast metabolism and I'm about 180 pounds (12.8571 stones if you're from the UK not you specifically but for anyone reading. Not trying to give too much info, but just showing I'm not unhealthy for my height is all). I have been thinking about switching back to coffee because I miss it.

ProudPaddedBro said:
My 16 year old nephew landed in the hospital about two months ago due to drinking two Monsters a day for a long while. In a double irony, his caffeine intake was so high it was causing him chest pains and heart arrhythmia. Not until he was feeling the ill effects of too much of these things did he go to the ER. He was in for almost a week, after fairly extensive testing they found he had a heart condition that had gone undetected until then. Doctors told him he could have killed himself if he would have had any more the day he was feeling chest pains.

In other words, they nearly killed him and saved his life.
What a cruel irony... mixed with a happy accident... mixed with a sad discovery. As I've mentioned in a few comments I was thinking of going back to coffee because it doesn't have all of the additives.

- - - Updated - - -

KimbaWolfNagihiko said:
I rarely drink milk anymore without coffee creamer. It's gotta have coffee creamer, chocolate syrup, or both. Both in a baby bottle is fucking amazing.

I've never had an energy drink. With the caffeine content and my tachycardia, enough could probably kill me.
You definitely wouldn't want to have an energy drink then, it could be fatal. As for me, I have a fast metabolism and a high caffeine tolerance, but I still if anything would switch to either just coffee or once every 3-7 days have an energy drink. I drink them slow as well, which I'm sure helps a lot.

- - - Updated - - -

Binary said:
Generally the so called "death" or heart attack from energy drinks, aren't caused by the energy drinks, but underlying health problems in the first place.

If something isn't well understood (either in general or by the person), people generally jump on the, oh that did it bandwagon, people do the same with vaccines and video games.

Heart problems and undiagnosed heart problems are quite common, and you're not supposed to have any form caffeine, even some stimulants when you have heart problems. If you have heart problems and drink two to three cups of coffee, obviously you may end up in the ER this happens all the time with undiagnosed heart problems.

Energy drinks themselves are generally "safe", It can trigger problems with people with undiagnosed or diagnosed heart problems as it's equal to generally two cups of coffee, high amounts of sugar can lead to diabetes or cause diabetic shock etc, too much vitamins by themselves can cause other issues.

I'll give you a good example of what I'm referring too lets say you have undiagnosed diabetes, and you get a shock from having a can of coca-cola is it the sodas fault, not really, you have a condition and anything can literally trigger it, people just like to point at whatever they drank or ate last. It's human nature.

Energy drinks and even coffee are KNOWN to cause problems with people with diagnosed or undiagnosed heart problems most people can drink them without problem just like coffee, a lot of teens drink energy drinks, so obviously a handful of people are going to drop dead from a heart condition, than parents go sue the soda company.

It's the same as you don't give alcohol to a person with liver failure or kidney failure, most healthy adults can consume safely consume 400-500 MGs of caffeine, though that most likely will kill someone with heart problems, just like certain medication etc.

The problem with the news is they often leave out valuable information, and generally jump on the "oh that did it" bandwagon, you never see people do that with coffee.

There safe for most people, and tons of people drink them daily, but that being said there not that healthy.

Plus it's quite easy to overdose on caffeine, and caffeine overdose can kill you, but the same can go with coffee, caffeine pills or caffeine powder, energy drinks are just the scapegoat.

Lets say this, if someone is overweight, eats KFC every single day 3 times a day, than dies randomly after drinking a energy drink, it must be the energy drink (that's how the news works)

Someone shoots up a school (they blame it on video games, or the parents, or mental illness)

Someone dies from caffeine intoxication, from energy drinks, they blame the energy drinks without realizing anything with caffeine can do the exact same thing.

I'll give another example, I knew a girl who had incurable brain stem cancer, there parents blamed it on all kinds of things, the microwave, television, the school etc.

Caffeine can trigger all kinds of problems, that includes coffee, soda, chocolate bars etc, people just blame the energy drinks without a second thought into the matter.

http://nypost.com/2017/01/15/monster-energy-drinks-killed-my-son-dad/

According to TMZ, the lawsuit claims Hood died of cardiac arrythmia triggered by excess caffeine consumption.

It's not too uncommon for caffeine to trigger problems in those with health problems, heart problems etc, if you drink 3-4 cups of coffee a day, chances of a energy drink killing you are slim.

Teenagers are more likely to drink energy drinks, or soda because they hate the taste of coffee, a lot of people can have heart problems and not know.
I would have more words but I think you covered it nicely.

- - - Updated - - -

Slomo said:
There is some evidence that energy drinks might be bad for you. It's also pretty well accepted they are not good for you too.

If the expected outcome of drinking them is either neutral, or possibly bad, for you in the long term, then why drink them at all.
Simple answer: they taste great to me. If I could get the same taste with the same carbonation without the added junk? I'd drink that instead.

- - - Updated - - -

Maxx said:
Sample size of one: They're awful.

A few years back, I had a Red Bull before a triathlon. I know, I know, stupid to try something new right before a race. It was out of town, and I didn't get to have my customary coffee beforehand. Red Bull was one of the sponsors and they were handing out freebies, so I figured caffeine is caffeine, right? Had heart palpitations all through the swim and part of the bike before I burned off whatever was in that thing. Missed a podium finish by maybe 30 seconds, ie, about the amount that I was holding back early in the race. Never again.
You could have a sensitivity to caffeine, if you don't, Red Bull is one of the worst energy drinks there is. I like having one every.... 6 months to several years? I like the taste somewhat, but the energy mix content is too high. It's also stupid expensive to buy.

Maxx said:
Unlikely. I like coffee, and drink quite a bit of it. A couple of cups before a race is my norm, and I've never had any ill effects from it. There had to be something else in there that affected me. And as far cardiovascular health.... you're not going to find anyone in better shape, even if they're half my age.

My mom drinks coffee all the time. It doesn't bother her. Give her an energy drink... And she says the same thing as you about it making her feel really strange.

Maxx said:
Unlikely. I like coffee, and drink quite a bit of it. A couple of cups before a race is my norm, and I've never had any ill effects from it. There had to be something else in there that affected me. And as far cardiovascular health.... you're not going to find anyone in better shape, even if they're half my age.
That's why I said if not, then it is because it is the worst of the bunch for you. Read the ingredient list and look each of them up. I'm sure others have similar content, but Red Bull always gives me heart palpitations. The others don't coffee doesn't, just that one. It's a ridiculous drink but some people slam them and I worry for them.

- - - Updated - - -

ShippoFox said:
My mom drinks coffee all the time. It doesn't bother her. Give her an energy drink... And she says the same thing as you about it making her feel really strange.
See, I never suffer ill affects unless it's a regular Monster or a Red Bull. It's quite odd; if you ask me they have something they aren't listing in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back