Botox. Ugh. My experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mayhem

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
I have neurogenic bladder and I decided that I would give Botox a shot. So about 2 months ago I got it done. It was painful. I peed blood for a few days after. Then I stopped being able to pee easily. I had to really push hard and my bladder felt over full. This was worse than the bladder spasm I had before the Botox. Torcher.
Going back three weeks ago I had a Foley catheter put in. I was holding back 850ml of urine and that was my new reason for wetting myself. I still had some bladder spasms. With the catheter in I would per around it at times when I would have spasm. So still had to wear a diaper and the leg bag.
Yesterday I had the catheter removed and a few hours later I went right back to wetting myself and feeling full again. So tomorrow I go back to be cathed again for two weeks to see if that will shrink my bladder and give me some relief.
Urine from a catheter smells 10x stronger than straight from your genetailia. I'm looking forward to the relief but not the smell and leg bag.

It sounds lik botox gave you my symptoms! Every time my retention was checked, it was around 300-350ml, except during the urodynamic test it was around 850ml! The retention causes spasms and limits the medication I can try, but to be honest none of the side effects seemed worth it anyway. I haven't tried leg bags, as diapers aren't more trouble than they are, and I don't really mind it terribly (most of the time). Sometimes I get fed up with it, though.

Best of luck on the bladder shrinking!

I thought Botox was supposed to relax the sphincter muscle. Just where did you have it injected?

ArchtopK said:
I thought Botox was supposed to relax the sphincter muscle. Just where did you have it injected?

I've read about using Botox for incontinence problems and as a side effect, it can do exactly what happened to meyhem. I'm sorry he's had that reaction. It sounds horrible.

It's "supposed" to deaden the muscles, and make peeing easier. In reality it shrinks and tightens the muscle, which makes it even more difficuly to pee.

At least this has been my case too. I had it done once in my bladder wall lining, and once in my external sphincter muscle. Both times it made things worse for me.

The biggest problem with botox is it really only lasts for two months, so even if if did work you'd still be left with it not working for that third month. Usually it just makes things worse though, so for two months you'll have a whole new set of problems.

The next biggest problem is botox is a surgical procedure that needs to be done every three months. Plus, each time you have it done your body adapts to it and the botox is less and less effective each time.

With just this in mind, botox is like trying to use a temporary bandaid to fix a bullet wound. It is just the wrong procedure to begin with, and a temporary one at that.

Isn't botox a very deadly poison? (in large amounts) but than again so is half the crap we eat :)

Last edited:
Binary said:
Isn't botox a very deadly poison?

Yes it is. In very small controlled doses it is also good for killing unwanted tissue or even just temporarily deadening it too.

ArchtopK said:

My injections were done to the bladder walls. My bladder spasms almost constantly and forces it to empty.

Binary said:
Isn't botox a very deadly poison? (in large amounts) but than again so is half the crap we eat :)
Yep...
(from the web)Botox is a drug made from a toxin produced by the bacterium Clostridium botulinum. It's the same toxin that causes a life-threatening type of food poisoning called botulism. Doctors use it in small doses to treat health problems, including. Temporary smoothing of facial wrinkles and improving your appearance.
To the OP... I'm so sorry you are going through this! I wish you the best, and THANK you for sharing your story :)

When I was a kid, you did not eat any canned food if it was "dented" for fear of botulism, there were no ventilators then so if it paralyzed you you were dead meat , these days we paralyze people like it's cool and inject botox in everything from balls to scalp, although it also depends on the type( just like everything there's "the hey let's try this as medicine all the way to lethal injection without a smile and a kiss) of botulism, and we won't even get into the castor oil mom's used to give kids , it's the same plant that we get the bio hazard ricin , or that Musolinni black shirts during the war would mix gasoline and castor oil as a purge would not forget if you said bad thinks about the dictator. I won't even bother with tapioca pudding being the leftover after getting the paralytic out of it ,or information on the tomato there's a whole lot that young people don't have to learn.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Thanks for sharing your experience, sorry to hear about what you're going through. It's good to hear about botox because I've been given the option but my gut feeling told me it wasn't a true solution. I have read stories of it "curing" people but since everyone is different it's good to hear a more realistic experience.

macncheese said:
Thanks for sharing your experience, sorry to hear about what you're going through. It's good to hear about botox because I've been given the option but my gut feeling told me it wasn't a true solution. I have read stories of it "curing" people but since everyone is different it's good to hear a more realistic experience.

Many people still need to wear protection after the Botox. They just don't have to wear as heavy protection.
My other option was interstim, and there is no way in hell anyone is attaching anything to my spinal cord.

mayhem said:
Many people still need to wear protection after the Botox. They just don't have to wear as heavy protection.
My other option was interstim, and there is no way in hell anyone is attaching anything to my spinal cord.

Well, it actually doesn't attach to your spine. It goes next to your sacral nerve, just below the base or your spine.

I did have it test implanted. That was absolute torture, much like chineese water torture, but with a constant voltage being applied. After three weeks of adjusting it, I had to have it removed due to the constant pain it was causing. It also left me much worse off than when I started too, by literally frying my nerve.

For anyone considering interstim. DON'T.

They won't even think of botox with me because of my existing neuromuscular conditions coupled with that is nobody wants to surgery because of the risk, ironically my neuromuscular condition makes me highly allergic to most of the paralytic agents and 2/3 of anesthetics, the one that would be there choice drug because of the neuro stuff , I can't have because of my allergy to eggs. So pretty much any idea of trying to cure my IC went out the window years ago , my health records scare doctors, the risk of death from a very minor surgical procedure is extreme.
Things like Interstim or pain pumps a spinal stimulators are so high risk they would rather provide me opiates and diapers.
Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back