Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new issues...at least for me

Default new issues...at least for me

I've had several significant scares recently.

In no way am I bowel incontinent, but due (I hope) to a series of illnesses I've found myself on quite a few occasions facing sudden and urgent needs to void them. As I am at present fairly inert (I hibernate in winter), I'm usually only yards from a bathroom. Still, there were a couple of times when I barely made it.

I'm not at all looking forward to any time when I don't.

Some days I sit on the toilet for an hour just to make sure I'm OK and I am still pretty certain when I leave that I am not.

About fifteen years ago, because I went to see her for help in determining what was causing some minor anal leakage–not enough to discolor my undies but enough to make me need almost continual wiping if I didn't want to itch like crazy all day–my doctor did list me as having fecal incontinence. I thought that was a pretty severe overstatement of the case. (And remember this is more than a decade before I actually became IC.) For no reason at all, the issue resolved itself after about a year; neither I nor my doctor could figure out why. But every time I see her I see that old notation on her chart.

I do not want it to become true.

Bladder incontinence is hard enough, thank you. I have nothing but respect for those of you who have to deal with the other every day. Despite lengthy conversations with some of you, I have no idea how you do it. I don't know if I could. I hope I never have to find out, but these last couple of weeks have been very disconcerting.

Sometimes even I don't know how I'm okay with it sometimes, just power through the clean up (usually the worst part of it), it's pretty bad but what else is there to do..... It does get me down occasionally, you know that .....
    Anyway I hope you get better :-)

Default new issues...at least for me

Yeah I don't think I could handle having it more often than I do. I get the constant wiping but, and every few days I'll have a small "crackful" come out that I can't hold before getting g on a toilet but full explosions for me are thankfully only like once a month. But I still wear 24/7 because the crackfuls are still enough to go through regular underwear and pants and they're super unpredictable. Can be between minutes to hours after a meal.

Believe me Kerry, a person can adapt to things they never thought possible, life changes on s dime and your only choice is adapt or die , most people adapt , I am not saying any of us like it or would choose it if given the choice.

AB is not just adult baby we the disabled refer to able bodied the same way as AB , it always is a question amongst the able bodied how we do "X" or "Y" without much problem , many of my friends have encouraged me to right a book that might help people understand it , I tell them all the same thing , no able bodied person is going to ever understand unless it happens to them , but once you cross over from able bodied there really is no going back , every new person in the community goes from wondering how we do it and how we cope to doing it themselves , they also lose the hunger for answering that question .

Things can completely devastate what you thought was life,then something happens and your "new normal" is something you once thought impossible .if we succumbed to the "tides of life" man would be extinct many generations ago.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Life certainly can throw monkey wrenches at us. If it's leakage, I wonder if the intestines/bowel, are having a problem breaking down fats? Certain cholesterol medications might contribute to this? I went through this for a period of time and then it simply went away. I have no idea why it came in the first place, unless my body was getting used to the statin I was prescribed.

Bowel incontinence is the pits. I don't mind urinary so much.

Been there done that (and still am there). Do what my proctologist told me to do.

Several times throughout the day (whenever), clench your anal muscles as tight as you can- for ten seconds.

Over the course of a few months you will notice your muscles strengthen enough so you can still hold it till you make it to the toilet. Unfortunately this won't get rid of that sudden bowel urge, but it will help greatly with those close calls, daily residue problem, and constant wiping after going.

At least it has for me. Oh, and sorry but you may need to do this for the rest of your life or your muscles might revert back to being too weak (which happened to me).

Thanks. I'll try that. Had another close call today: sudden urge out of nowhere when I was ten yards from bathroom. Made it fine, but started popping as soon as I sat down. The whole thing is pretty shitty, if you don't mind the pun.

Weird thing in my little universe: I had all of those leakage issues fifteen years ago, but in the last several years I find there has hardly ever been any residue remaining after a BM unless it's a particularly squishy one. Normal ones just come out...and wiping reveals pretty much...nothing.

And, OK, another embarrassing thing (though why I should think this more embarrassing than potential messing accidents I don't know):

For the last few years, getting progressively worse, I have been unable to stop myself from passing gas. Often loudly. I was lucky the diaper muffled it when it happened in class (though at first, back when it started, they were often much quieter). I was also lucky that it has been, oddly, 100% odorless. I have no clue why. I can't control it; I've tried. If I manage to suppress one, it simply comes back double a moment later and I have to let it out.

Does this happen to anyone else? Is it connected in some way or is it some idiosyncratic thing that I'm just lucky enough to be dealing with on top of incontinence?

Hi Kerry, sorry to hear this. I read the advice and out of interest had a little look for myself. I have no idea if this is useful but it makes for an interesting read.

http://api.gp.northumbria.nhs.uk/upl..._Exercises.PDF

Quote Originally Posted by kerry View Post
    Thanks. I'll try that. Had another close call today: sudden urge out of nowhere when I was ten yards from bathroom. Made it fine, but started popping as soon as I sat down. The whole thing is pretty shitty, if you don't mind the pun.

Weird thing in my little universe: I had all of those leakage issues fifteen years ago, but in the last several years I find there has hardly ever been any residue remaining after a BM unless it's a particularly squishy one. Normal ones just come out...and wiping reveals pretty much...nothing.

And, OK, another embarrassing thing (though why I should think this more embarrassing than potential messing accidents I don't know):

For the last few years, getting progressively worse, I have been unable to stop myself from passing gas. Often loudly. I was lucky the diaper muffled it when it happened in class (though at first, back when it started, they were often much quieter). I was also lucky that it has been, oddly, 100% odorless. I have no clue why. I can't control it; I've tried. If I manage to suppress one, it simply comes back double a moment later and I have to let it out.

Does this happen to anyone else? Is it connected in some way or is it some idiosyncratic thing that I'm just lucky enough to be dealing with on top of incontinence?
    Yup, same again. Strengthening my muscles back there also helped with that too. I still have a really hard time holding back gas, but often I can hold it just long enough to excuse myself or end a conversation and walk away. Most other times there's really no point in my trying to hold one back. Like you said, it just comes back stronger a few minutes later.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MotherFaith View Post
    Hi Kerry, sorry to hear this. I read the advice and out of interest had a little look for myself. I have no idea if this is useful but it makes for an interesting read.

http://api.gp.northumbria.nhs.uk/upl..._Exercises.PDF
    That's about right. The basics of it is to just squeeze and tighten your muscles back there as tight as you can, for 10 seconds. There's a few more variations to this than what I was told to do, BUTT it's all good in the END.......