Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alcohol.

Default Alcohol.

I found my perfect combination of alcohol, vodka + raspberry obviously in the freezer, I've finished a whole bottle of vodka in the last 2 days. I've got a very mild hang over, that being said. I've got a few questions.

When I'm drunk I'm still in control, literally I hear stories of people having sex with strangers, etc, then there is me full control, I generally listen to music.

Why am I a "hippy/happy drunk" I've noticed that I'm happier when I'm drunk, an emotion I haven't felt a long time.

Suicidal thoughts vanish completely when drunk.

That being said, since I have an ulcer, I'm not touching alcohol again for a couple of months from now.

My mind is blank, and I think mostly about business and money which is rather odd, I've come up with some epic ideas etc.

(pps) I'm the legal drinking age in Australia, USA = 21 which is odd. That being said I'm not even that violent in while sober.

On the bright side, I can't even code or do anything intellectually while drunk. so obviously as a intelectual it's not something I like to do often.

Only stupid thing I did while drunk, was install windows, I managed to do that drunk, dammit. I literally woke up and thought, I don't even know how I managed to do that....
    Last edited by LittleJess; 06-Mar-2017 at 12:50.

be careful your not using alcohol too strongly as an escape, also don't let it play hell with your budget.

after your recent posts regarding finances, I have to admit to being a little alarmed by your recent alcohol posts..
    Last edited by MommyandMattling; 06-Mar-2017 at 22:20.

I second that though. It doesn't matter how you act when drunk, being drunk is horrible for your body. It is not an escape from life's problems, and almost always makes them worse.

Case in point, you have serious financing problems with collectors coming after you. Instead of saving that money to actually improve your situation beyond just the collectors you have literally pissed some of it away.

I have to agree with everyone else, plus the health issue's you mentioned. Alcohol is hard on your body. You have mentioned being dehydrated quite a bit. Alcohol will only make that worse.
    Yes it take's the edge off, makes you relaxed, helps you sleep, and takes your worries away. But it's only temporary. Thing's come back the next morning. Also bringing a hangover depending on how much you drink. I can't make you do anything, but please do not pick up another bottle. It can and will grab ahold of you quicker than you think. And that's not a road you want to travel down. I've been there, it's not a fun road to be on.

Quote Originally Posted by Binary View Post
    Why am I a "hippy/happy drunk" I've noticed that I'm happier when I'm drunk, an emotion I haven't felt a long
    That's what my alcoholic father says... You better pay attention to how much you drink. Don't make it an everyday habit...

Quote Originally Posted by Binary View Post
    I found my perfect combination of alcohol, vodka + raspberry obviously in the freezer, I've finished a whole bottle of vodka in the last 2 days. I've got a very mild hang over, that being said. I've got a few questions.

When I'm drunk I'm still in control, literally I hear stories of people having sex with strangers, etc, then there is me full control, I generally listen to music.

Why am I a "hippy/happy drunk" I've noticed that I'm happier when I'm drunk, an emotion I haven't felt a long time.

Suicidal thoughts vanish completely when drunk.

That being said, since I have an ulcer, I'm not touching alcohol again for a couple of months from now.

My mind is blank, and I think mostly about business and money which is rather odd, I've come up with some epic ideas etc.

(pps) I'm the legal drinking age in Australia, USA = 21 which is odd. That being said I'm not even that violent in while sober.

On the bright side, I can't even code or do anything intellectually while drunk. so obviously as a intelectual it's not something I like to do often.

Only stupid thing I did while drunk, was install windows, I managed to do that drunk, dammit. I literally woke up and thought, I don't even know how I managed to do that....
    I strongly advise you to proceed with caution and to look at your own rationale for drinking alcohol. As someone who has lived through suicidal ideation and the loss of a partner to suicide, I can testify that alcohol is not a replacement for treatment or to avoid dealing with life.

When my partner died, the pain was unendurable, and like you, I found that alcohol brought some temporary relief. I thought it was helping me deal with all my trauma, even if only temporarily. The problem is that alcohol is insidious. It draws you in slowly, it helps you forget your problems and you can escape the pain.... for awhile. As your body becomes more accustomed to it, it needs more and more to get the same level of escape, while the side effects, like hangovers and damage to your physical and mental health, develop over time.

The 'temporary reprieve' of not feelimg suicidal dissipated over a period of time and I was left in a chronic state of depression, suicidal anxiety, risk of losing my job, and spending much of my income on alcohol. It prevented me from seeking treatment and reaching out to people in the real world. I went to work hungover in the mornings, and came home at the end of the day to start drinking behind closed door and start the process over again. It didn't help me deal with my depression, it helped me avoid it, with terrible consequences. It took years out of my life.

Alcohol may help you escape your problems for a short period, but in time it will only create more serious problems if you use it as a crutch to escape your own feelings. If you are suffering from depression or suicidal ideation, I know from experience that alcohol will just intensify those illnesses and delay or prevent the inevitable treatment you may be requiring. I think anyone who has ever thought of suicide would be highly susceptible to alcoholism if they start using it as a means to escape the pain.

I'm not trying to pull a 'reefer madness' scenario with alcohol, however it sounds like you need to look for other methods to cope with the things going on in your life.
    Last edited by Starrunner; 07-Mar-2017 at 13:27.

I've got to say something for alcohol in general. Yes drinking in excess to drunkenness is extremely harmful to your body. However, consuming just a couple of drinks, even every single day/night, is actually quite beneficial for you.

It's true, I did a white paper on this years ago, and found this was backed up by the AHA, WHO, EUOSHA, and a slew of other health agencies the world over. They all agree there are many benefits obtained from consuming "moderate amounts" of any kind of alcohol (but with wine being the best).

Of course, they all also agree that the likelihood and dangers of excess drinking outweigh the less adhered to benefits of moderate drinking. And this is why their overall stance is to just avoid it (especially pregnant women).

Still, I drink hard alcohol most every single night. I also abhor getting drunk. With this straight and narrow course I do feel the benefits have held true for at least me. Though I also know I'm in the small minority for always knowing when to say when.

I used to be the same when I was 18/19. Now I'm 21 and I can usually hold my drink pretty well, but there is a point where I sluur and can't walk straight..

That being said I have slowed down my drinking a lot, so my tolerance has probably gone down too. I think it's important that you should never feel that you "need a drink". That's when it starts getting dangerous.

Stay off the damn road. Im driving my family around out there

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisKrinkle View Post
    Stay off the damn road. Im driving my family around out there
    Roads? Where we're going (on sidewalks), we don't need roads.

Seriously though, you're right. Driving after drinking shows a serious lack for one's own safety, and a complete disregard for everyone else.