Diaper disposal: How do you handle it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

INTrePid

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
Right now I just toss used diapers into a regular trash bag and take them out regularly, but I was wondering if it would be worth it to buy a dedicated diaper pail/bin. The ones I've seen online have pretty mixed reviews. Do they actually work and do a good job keeping odors in or are they unreliable and more trouble/expense than they're worth?

I used a diaper genie for years and odors aren't a problem, but the "mouth" is a bit small so you have to stuff most adult diapers into rather than just dropping it. THe thing isn't tremendously durable and I broke mine, repaired it, and then it broke again (my brother and sister-in-law broke there's just using it for baby diapers, I bought them a replacement).

I've got a DiaperDekor now. It has a larger mouth but really not much more capacitiy. It doesn't quite seal as well as the DG. The Diaper Genie actually pinches the bag closed in addition to shutting a lid on the whole thing. The Dekor doesn't do that. It has two lids which provide somewhat of a seal, but the thing isn't air tight (the unloading door is not tight fitting).

There are some others on the market but I've not yet looked at them.

Frankly, I'd go with a diaper genie elite. They're cheap (comparitively) and you can get the bags anywhere (like costco).
'

I use a diaper dekor XL - Also known as the Akord. Great pail as long as I change it out at least every week. My partner complains about the smell if I let it go any longer.
https://goo.gl/DTvXe8
Amazon.com: Janibell Akord Adult Diaper Pail - Odor Free

Compost the pulp. Burn the shell.

I switched the whole house to black kitchen trashbags, and toss the diapers out in the regular trash because it gets emptied more often. The black bags aren't see-through.

hefty-blackout-tall-drawstring-13-gallon-kitchen-bags-40ct_3478217.jpg

If the diaper is smelly, I stick it in a grocery bag and tie that closed first.

I use a regular kitchen garbage can with a lid and I put plastic garbage bags that are treated with Febreeze into the receptacle. It works reasonably well, but I keep the can in the basement where no one comes across it.

For wet diapers, I just fold them in on themselves, put them in the kitchen trash (black bags only) and then take that down to the bin, which has a lid and gets picked up once a week. Doesn't smell that strong, not a big deal. For the very rare handful of times I've had a poopy diaper, I've folded it up, put it in its own ziplock bag, and then put that in the trash bag, which helps with the smell.

I still live at home with my parents, so going about getting rid of my wet and messy diapers is definitely a bit of a challenge. I have to be really, really sneaky. Of course, I can do whatever I want in my diapers in the privacy of my room, but when I need a change, I have a little routine. Whenever I diaper myself, I always make sure I have a plastic bag handy at all times. Grocery bags are very good - my family likes to recycle the ones we take home.

When it's time for the actual change though, regardless of whether it's wet or messy (or both... :sweatdrop:), I take it off like normal, wipe myself clean with either some wipes or a towel, tie/tape the diaper shut, put it in the plastic bag and close it, and then stick it in my closet that I don't even use. The bag can do a pretty good job at keeping the smell in, by the way! When I know no one is around or when I'm home alone, that's my chance to throw the bag out. I always have to throw them away in our outside garbage can, obviously. No one bothers looking in there anyway, so it's perfect!

It's all a process, but it's quite the rewarding process nonetheless. :)

Out with the normal trash. I try to distribute it so that there's not all wet diapers in one bag, because it gets heavy.

Try bags that smell good tie it up and you shouldn't have smell

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

We also recycle plastic grocery/any store plastic bags. When done with the diaper I usually either tie it up in our bathroom garbage (lined with a grocery bag) or put it in its own bag, tie it up and dispose of that bag in another garbage bag that has items in it. If bright prints on diaper, I try to throw it away with a half used bag of misc garbage. There is always something you can find in the house to throw out for camaflouge.

Since I wear 24/7 I go through a lot of diapers. With this much you pretty much need a dedicated diaper pail.

It doesn't need to be fully sealed though, pretty much any kitchen can with a lid will do. As long as you take the trash out at least every 3-5 day then the smell won't build up.

I live on my own so I just toss my used ones into the small bin in the kitchen; usually wrapped in a plastic shopping bag or the scented diaper bags then that goes out to the larger bin that goes to the curb on collection day. Here though there has been some mumbling about starting to use clear garbage bags as 'not enough people are recycling' which has (as you can guess) created a stir about privacy and such. The answer so far has been that each household will be able to use one white/opaque bag per each full size clear bag, but they haven't nailed down a size of the opaque bag yet and one opaque bag isn't much good for someone who usually only puts one larger black bag out for collection a week.

INCONTAL said:
Compost the pulp. Burn the shell.

Well, burning plastics isn't technically a good idea but if you're rural you don't really have any other good options.

As for the sap... I was thinking about that... is that really biodegradeable? I know plants can sink their roots into it and get the water back out, but what about the sap itself? does it break down?

Just I throw them in the bin which is located at the washroom.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back