Is there some secret to humor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpAzpieSweeTot

Daddy's girl through and through! Understood?
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Incontinent
I was watching a Tangled: Before Ever After trailer, and. . . What's dudes name? Anyway, he was like, "Hide. . . Your. . . Hair. . . Woman! You gotta hide yo' hair!"

It was hilarious. Why?

Like most other elements of story telling, humour has been fairly extensively studied and written about. I don't think anyone believes that we have a complete understanding, but there's certainly plenty of thinking on the subject out there.

Timing.

That reminds me of an episode of The X Files where Mulder and Scully were pretending to be a married couple who'd moved into a neighborhood with overly strict rules to find out what was going on. So while they're "in character", Mulder says to Scully "Woman! Go make me a sandwich!" It was hysterical because it was such a stereotypical thing to say, and of course it was a joke.

There are a few things that generally will make something funny. Defying expectations, timing, but the biggest one is misery. Nearly all comedy comes from some sort of pain. I could go on about specific details and reasons as I've taken classes specifically on humor (Fun classes you get to take at a Film School), but to keep this post short, it's pain. Pain is basically the secret to humor.

Gsmax said:
There are a few things that generally will make something funny. Defying expectations, timing, but the biggest one is misery. Nearly all comedy comes from some sort of pain. I could go on about specific details and reasons as I've taken classes specifically on humor (Fun classes you get to take at a Film School), but to keep this post short, it's pain. Pain is basically the secret to humor.
Robin. . . Williams. Point taken.

Maxx said:
This^^

and this:
AMUSING LIBERACI CLIP

Hah, I was grinning like a dummy through that entire bit.

Absolute gold!

Last edited:
SpAzpieSweeTot said:

It was hilarious. Why?

[video=youtube;3ddp1pf_MB8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ddp1pf_MB8[/video]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back