Thread: Is there some secret to humor?

Question Is there some secret to humor?

I was watching a Tangled: Before Ever After trailer, and. . . What's dudes name? Anyway, he was like, "Hide. . . Your. . . Hair. . . Woman! You gotta hide yo' hair!"

It was hilarious. Why?

Like most other elements of story telling, humour has been fairly extensively studied and written about. I don't think anyone believes that we have a complete understanding, but there's certainly plenty of thinking on the subject out there.

That reminds me of an episode of The X Files where Mulder and Scully were pretending to be a married couple who'd moved into a neighborhood with overly strict rules to find out what was going on. So while they're "in character", Mulder says to Scully "Woman! Go make me a sandwich!" It was hysterical because it was such a stereotypical thing to say, and of course it was a joke.

There are a few things that generally will make something funny. Defying expectations, timing, but the biggest one is misery. Nearly all comedy comes from some sort of pain. I could go on about specific details and reasons as I've taken classes specifically on humor (Fun classes you get to take at a Film School), but to keep this post short, it's pain. Pain is basically the secret to humor.

Quote Originally Posted by Gsmax View Post
    There are a few things that generally will make something funny. Defying expectations, timing, but the biggest one is misery. Nearly all comedy comes from some sort of pain. I could go on about specific details and reasons as I've taken classes specifically on humor (Fun classes you get to take at a Film School), but to keep this post short, it's pain. Pain is basically the secret to humor.
    Robin. . . Williams. Point taken.

Quote Originally Posted by SpAzpieSweeTot View Post
    Robin. . . Williams. Point taken.
    These excerpts take a longer road to get there but I think it's worth the ride: https://revolutionmagik.wordpress.co...hy-man-laughs/

Quote Originally Posted by Maxx View Post
    This^^

and this:
    AMUSING LIBERACI CLIP
    Hah, I was grinning like a dummy through that entire bit.

Absolute gold!
    Last edited by Songnar; 10-Mar-2017 at 21:34. Reason: forgot to add quote