18 50.00%
  • No

1 2.78%
  • It depends

17 47.22%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is incontinence a disability?

Default Is incontinence a disability?

Do you consider it a disability? Why or why not? Do you think it depends on the severity of it and the person and how it affects them? Like let's say someone had to wear diapers so they got anxiety about it and it's so bad it keeps them from living a normal life and having employment because they are so embarrassed and worried about anyone finding out they are wearing a diaper it causes them an impairment in occupational functioning.

Plus I think incontinence can cause limitations like traveling or doing certain activities while being a DL and wearing 24/7, we still have the option to just ditch the diapers at inconvenient times. An IC person doesn't have that choice.

I am IC and although the Government considers it a disability I don't feel mine is , it's just a damned annoyance , then again I am in a wheelchair an obvious one as a disability , I find it to be a PIA sometimes but I don't consider it disabling, the things I can do , I do seated , sure a 500 pound wheelchair doesn't let me go swimming to easily, but then again my condition does not permit swimming so no great loss , as to IC and the severity of it , I suppose it can play a role somewhat in how you feel about it as a disabling condition , but one thing you learn with any condition including IC , life goes on , pity parties can make you pretty miserable , so F' it drive on , the greatest limitation in this life is what's between your ears , I do not care if somebody knows I am IC and wear diapers ,if I don't let these things define and limit me , why should anyone else let it bother them and define them , I am a lot more than my diaper or my IC just as I am a lot more than my fancy wheelchair , if you have read any of my other posts you have probably seen in my able bodied days I was a Firefighter/Nurse , those define me much more than any disability , and it blows people's minds when I pull out my wallet and my gold shield is there with my ID , attesting to the fact that I worked long hours in hazardous conditions for low wages and liked it , most people wrongly believe that "disabled" people were born this way or many times they ask was it a diving accident ? Assuming I broke my neck , there are more people in wheelchairs from other stuff then there are from breaking there neck . I guess I am saying poorly there is a small group who feel there health challenges are insurmountable , and many feel this early on , but life has a way of showing you ,nobody else really cares and the world keeps turning just as you should , wear your diapers use your chair and don't let it hold you back , there is a whole lot of world and life to see and do before you die, you will get to some of it but rarely all .

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

That's a good question Calico and I don't have an answer to it, especially since I'm not incontinent and don't have to live with the inconvenience of being incontinent. My wife is a diabetic amputee, and being in a wheelchair is a disability, but it's all what you make of it. Life still continues and there are things to do with one's life that have meaning.

Depends. Incontinence is not a stand alone condition. It is a symptom of a disease, illness, injury or congenital defect.

Think of it this way. Many people have really poor eyesight due to a defect in their eyes. If they did not wear glasses or contacts, they would be at a disadvantage. In other words, they would probably consider themselves disabled. But, they usually do wear glasses or contacts. Is my OAB and IBS disabling. Heck yeah. But, I wear diapers to manage it so I can live a relatively normal life. Therefore, it is not disabling to me. Take a away my diapers, then it becomes disabling.

From a legal point of view, I think that incontinence is considered to be a disability. However, here is a somewhat amusing story. Before I retired, I worked for an organization that prided itself on its diverse work force, and part of that diversity is inclusion of people living with disabilities. So the head of my department did a survey to find out if any of us were disabled. I reported my incontinence, but was subsequently informed that it was too invisible to be counted. Maybe if my diaper leaked more often...

I'm not incontinent, but I do consider it a disability. Now that I think about it though, I'm not exactly sure why I do beyond the legal standpoint.

Yes and no. Yes it dibilitates you and employer's can't fire you for it and h
    have to make special exceptions for you. No you can't get SSI or SSDI for it you have to have other problems they will and it to the list of disabilities though. Medicaid pays for diapers if prescribed.

Quote Originally Posted by Inconinmiss View Post
    From a legal point of view, I think that incontinence is considered to be a disability. However, here is a somewhat amusing story. Before I retired, I worked for an organization that prided itself on its diverse work force, and part of that diversity is inclusion of people living with disabilities. So the head of my department did a survey to find out if any of us were disabled. I reported my incontinence, but was subsequently informed that it was too invisible to be counted. Maybe if my diaper leaked more often...
    Well in the US companies can get some nice juicy tax incentives for hiring other wise qualified workers with disabilities for positions in the company , kind of like if the lowest bidder would normally get the contract ,but there's an agency that bid higher but is owned by a woman or person of minority they win the bid, but that was before drumpf got into office, it could be different now.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Incontinence is a disability, but not a handicap. Incontinence has its inconveniences, but one can live a fairly normal life in spite of them. But no doctor would sign off on a handicap placard because of needing diapers.