Abena Nova

Status
Not open for further replies.

LstNwf

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Other
So it seems Abena is jumping into the smart diaper market currently testing a product in a closed 6 month venture with hopes to offer the product worldwide in early 2018.

Article

As long as they don't discontinue the AbriFrom L4s. That's my primary diaper and I've felt like it's hanging on by a thread for some time now.

My first thought was the same as TheGnD, but now that I think about it, this might be fun to play with :D

Seems like a pretty cool and neat concept although I have a feeling those diapers are going to cost a fortune without cutting corners on the efficiency/quality of the diaper's primary function. I agree, as long as they don't get rid of their already established lines of Abri-Forms then a new and innovative diaper technology seems cool. They'd be better off creating some sort of insert that does what their Nova does so that way it's not restricted to just their line of diapers, but it'd probably not work as well and maybe it's on the horizon.

The technology described in the article sounds as if it could be a great benefit to people living in nursing homes. However, most of us who contribute to this forum are fully capable of looking after our own needs. For me at least, I don't need some electronic device embedded in my diaper to tell me when I'm wet and need to change.

Yeah it might be good in a nursing home or it could be another step backward , causing staff cuts and decreasing the level of proper care , imagine the nurses being able to look at an app and say Mr.Jones diaper has reached max capacity but I just started level 167 of angry birds it's my personal best , he will have to wait a while or shift change is in 20 minutes let them worry about it .

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

I'd give it a shot, but then I'm a gadget addict haha. I would guess the remote sensor part would plug into the diaper and the diaper would only have some sort of continuity/resistance sensor that would be cheap enough to be disposable, but they're particularly light on the technical details. I guess they don't want anyone beating them to market with anything!

- - - Updated - - -

Update: Although not mentioned in the article, the photo at the top suggests it's only to be used in an institutional setup amongst a cluster of patients, and probably isn't something you'd walk around with. Oh well, still cool :)

Something tells me this will probably meet the same fate as Huggies prototype of the "Tweet-Pee". Novel idea but I suspect the increased cost of the unit is going to outweigh the "check the diaper every few hours" program that most "up-to-speed" nursing homes use. Of course nursing homes are all to happy to take high dollar for their care and offer the patient the cheapest products that may or may not work so their P and L is effected. My guess is this product (if it survives) will probably be offered only in the highest end nursing facilities making its production and sales efforts not really worth Abena's time. I would agree with the above that the product wouldn't really suit any of us other than for sheer novelty.

I guess only time will tell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back