Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dehydration

Default Dehydration

When I finally went to a urologist about my frequency, urgency and incontinence about 15 years ago he told me I had an overactive bladder and I should keep a urination diary. I was a surprised to find out then that the definition of frequency in OAB means peeing more than 8 times in a day. What? You're kidding? For as long as I can remember I have always peed more than that. And that diary? I found my range was between 16 and 23 pees a day (not including bms, which I average between 3 and 4 a day).

The only thing that slows this down somewhat is dehydration. Dehydration is also a way for me to occasionally go undiapered at home and make it to the bathroom. And, I find myself usually dehydrated in the evening. Compounding this is I've had at least 8 bouts of kidney stones in the last 12 years. Anybody else with OAB struggle with dehydration? I don't feel I'm doing it on purpose to try to control my urge incontinence, but maybe I am subconsciously? Or, maybe it's just because I live in Florida, which is ridiculously hot and humid most of the year.

I've had a couple of bouts with very painfully passing kidney stones. My urologist has advised me that the best way to reduce the likelihood of passing stones in future is to make sure that I keep myself well hydrated. That of course means that I use more diapers. But dealing with an extra diaper or two a day is worth it if it prevents passing any more kidney stones.

The World Health Organization pretty much recommends everyone start off with (8) 8oz glasses of water per day, and add to that based on your weight. Their own recommendations also say we should be peeing clear or mostly clear with a tint of yellow.

So yeah, a LOT of people here are dehydrated. And based on some that say their pee smells bad or strong, it seems some here are severely dehydrated too.

In Denmark, the recommendation for fluid intake is as low as 48 oz a day. Above that is considered excessive intake and not needed, especially when you are dealing with OAB/ urge incontinence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well I for one would rather follow the health guidelines of doctors over politicians any day. Plus, it may not seem it to you but Denmark (and the US) is a part of the world so those recommendations still apply.

Here's just one good paper on water intake. A quick search online will yield a LOT more too.

http://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0LEV...CXwjn1l127BEM-

Quote Originally Posted by Slomo View Post
    The World Health Organization pretty much recommends everyone start off with (8) 8oz glasses of water per day, and add to that based on your weight. Their own recommendations also say we should be peeing clear or mostly clear with a tint of yellow.

So yeah, a LOT of people here are dehydrated. And based on some that say their pee smells bad or strong, it seems some here are severely dehydrated too.
    This is the real guideline. Any estimate of actual quantity is little more than a SWAG. There are too many variables, including ambient temp and humidity, activity levels, the individual's sweat rate, diet, size.....

Quote Originally Posted by Maxx View Post
    This is the real guideline. Any estimate of actual quantity is little more than a SWAG. There are too many variables, including ambient temp and humidity, activity levels, the individual's sweat rate, diet, size.....
    LOL. You might be right about that. Look at the WHO guidelines. They have multiple papers on the subject, and each one is long in its own right.

They do go into great detail for what area of the world you're in, average temp, humidity, your weight, and so on. Although the color of your pee is so easy to see and understand it does make everything else a moot point.

Too yellow, then add more water. That's all you need to know.

Really vague advise just generally drink more water. It's fairly unlikely anyone will over hydrate. I have always been someone who doesn't hydrate enough. I'm also on ADHD meds which tend to dry me out. So the past few years I always have water with me. My diapers tend to be yellower when I wake up vs the rest of my diapers, but that's figured. Unless you really feel severely dehydrated you'll probably be ok.

I was just saying what medical professionals in Denmark says is enough, for persons dealing with an overactive bladder.. Should I go with that volume on a dayli basis I would dehydrate myself. Which is why I'm ignoring their "recommendations" I know my need better than they do!

Sendt fra min HUAWEI M2-801W med Tapatalk