Thread: UN health agency reports depression now ‘leading cause of disability worldwide'

Default UN health agency reports depression now ‘leading cause of disability worldwide'

I don't have any discussion points, or questions, I just thought this really says something about the human that society produces today, vs the human that produced society.

http://www.un.org/apps/news/story.as...0#.WLBdavnyuUk

Very sad statistics but really not all that surprising. I think part of the reason for the rise in numbers is due to the fact we are working towards reducing the stigma of depression and mental illness through public education in the schools and workplace. People talk more openly about it these days and recognize it as the serious illness it is, rather than attribute it to a person being disagreeable. As a result more people may be seeking treatment now and getting treatment, whereas in the past they were just told to 'suck it up.' So in some respects the increase of people seeking treatment is a positive thing.

I am concerned that the highest risk groups are primarily women, youth and the elderly, and that more men are still not being treated. Unfortunately, men still regard depression as being a sign of weakness and so they don't talk to their doctors to get help, therefore it is underreported. In general, women seek help more often for depression than men. Secondly, there are still some old-school doctors who may overprescribe medication for depression for certain groups such as women and seniors while not investigating potential underlying causes. There are more women than men who attempt suicide, yet more men are successful in completing the act, primarily because men tend to use more lethal forces, such as firearms.

We also live in very different times. Youth are growing up today in a different economy with less hope of finding meaningful employment or owning their own homes. The internet and social media has also led to a different way of communication, and there is less meaningful,social contact with people. And when we look around the global community, with Brexit, the rise of Trump, the threat of wars, hope can be very hard to find.

Depression directly affects one in five of the population, and when you add in family,friends, and colleagues of a person suffering from depression, we are all affected by it.
    Last edited by Starrunner; 24-Feb-2017 at 20:20.

Depression has far more effects than just mental and cognitive as well. It all starts with stress hormones.

http://www.everydayhealth.com/column...-be-depressed/

This is an interesting read.

I've been depressed since 5th grade. Its just the normal state for me now, so It doesn't usually effect me unless I'm under additional stress. I have everything on the page.

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyM View Post
    I've been depressed since 5th grade. Its just the normal state for me now, so It doesn't usually effect me unless I'm under additional stress. I have everything on the page.
    That's pretty much me too. Sure there have been a number of happy moments in my life, but most of the time (like now) I could give a rats a$$ about most anything. The world is a horrible, crappy, and dysfunctional place. And having to deal with stupid people (most anyone) only makes it worse.

Guess what though, this is normal. You just have to learn to live with it. Like the report alludes to, not doing so is just setting yourself up for bigger problems.