Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weight and obesity

Default Weight and obesity

Hey guys, it's been some time since I've posted anything,

So recently I've been getting to know someone who's dealing with some weight issues, to put it bluntly "she's fat", while that is seen as a really offensive word, she has used that on herself and she aims to get rid of it for her. She's beginning to exercise and eat healthy, it might take time but she's doing well. But on the side she has a lot of other people who tell her that it doesn't matter what she looks like and she should feel comfortable in her body.

I feel like a statement like that could apply to someone with issues which can't be fixed or can only be managed. But in this situation my opinion is that health matters too, and people shouldn't be advocating people to not think about exercise and be happy with their body. When you go onto youtube it's literally there on the featured page with BuzzFeed having videos of plus sized women doing this and plus sized women trying that as if being plus sized is a good/normal thing. I personally think your health is much more important. But that's what I think..... Does anybody feel this way? Or do you think I'm at the wrong end of the branch?

I'm generally along those lines in thinking, while people shouldn't feel bad for being "fat" It is something that most people can control with dieting and exercise.

What really bothers me, are the people who "eat themselfs to death" people who eat shitty fast food all the time and a lot of it, being overweight and healthy isn't always a bad thing, but being overweight and eating so much junk food will lead to a heart attack somewhere along the line.

With some people eating is comfort and I can understand that, for others people fear getting fat and starve themselfs to death while others (like me) just eat the bare minimum to survive.

There really is no reason to shove 5 big macs and 7 large fries, I can barely eat one burger lol, but i think it comes down to specific people. I even eat one KFC meal I'm in bed for about 18 hours not moving lol. I will never understand how people can eat 5 big macs a day etc. One of the school teachers used to be like that and personally I find it disgusting, but as I said be happy with who you are, change what you can but you don't have to, we all have choice in the actions we do.

Some things you can change, other things you can't focus on what you can Is my motto.

We live in a time, where we have unlimited access to food, so obviously you're going to have a hand full of people who are going to eat more than they need resulting in "being fat"

Personally I don't think obesity is something that should be "supported" but accepting who you are should be, but as I said it comes down to choice.

I think what we should do as a society is encourage people to accept themselfs, but also encourage people to lose weight if there overweight, but if they wish to lose weight, but at the same time don't make them feel bad for being fat.

Quote Originally Posted by miapeters View Post
    So recently I've been getting to know someone who's dealing with some weight issues, to put it bluntly "she's fat", while that is seen as a really offensive word, she has used that on herself and she aims to get rid of it for her. She's beginning to exercise and eat healthy, it might take time but she's doing well. But on the side she has a lot of other people who tell her that it doesn't matter what she looks like and she should feel comfortable in her body.
    Good for her! Doing it the right way... and not expecting overnight miracles.

I agree its not helpful for others to undercut her efforts. Like as not, comments from some of the others may prompted by jealousy and guilt. Your friend is displaying commitment that they don't have.

When i made the jump from fat to fit. Alot of my fatter friends put me down for doing it. They were just lazy i told them lol. I went from 287 lbs to a lean 200 lbs. Im at the 200 lbs in my avatar. I did go up to 240 im now down to 221 working back to the 200 lbs. Had to adjust my weight lifting because of my back issues. But im doing pretty good with the work outs.

Quote Originally Posted by miapeters View Post
    Hey guys, it's been some time since I've posted anything,

I feel like a statement like that could apply to someone with issues which can't be fixed or can only be managed. But in this situation my opinion is that health matters too, and people shouldn't be advocating people to not think about exercise and be happy with their body. When you go onto youtube it's literally there on the featured page with BuzzFeed having videos of plus sized women doing this and plus sized women trying that as if being plus sized is a good/normal thing. I personally think your health is much more important. But that's what I think..... Does anybody feel this way? Or do you think I'm at the wrong end of the branch?
    Hello

I just finished a Mindful eating group.

1) Yes she does not need to "focus" on the weight. But on the eating habit "life style change"

2) Look at the healthy eating, i.e. Fresh fruits and vegetables, very little to no "processed food"

3) Cutting refined sugar or added sugar to 25 grams a day. BE aware that it is hidden in almost everything

4) Salt (My biggest problem) should be 1500 mg a day. The nutritionist finally said the next best thing is no more then your daily calorie intake in mg. i.e. 2480 calories should be 2480 mg. Again they put it into everything. IF you watch the cooking shows they pinch and dash everything with salt and that adds up fast.

5) Remember eating healthy and "body image" are two entire different issues.

Now if there is any interest in the literature on the mindful eating, I could do a thread in ADISC School house rocks if that would be helpful. There is a lot of it and it deals with the mental aspects of eating both medically and socially. Social being the big self-defeating aspect of weight control.

Egor

While extreme obesity is obviously a significant problem, both in general in this country and for the health of the individuals involved, I tend to think that Americans too often obsess about weight, exercise, and the "perfect" body.

It is one thing to desire to be fit, within the parameters of whatever that means to you in your life. It is another altogether to make it such a focus in your life that it becomes your everything. Take a walk down the boardwalk in Venice Beach in California, for example: you'll see thousands of "beautiful bodies" that you know spend hours each day working out and more hours obsessing about everything that enters their bodies. And for the small window of time that one can get away with being a beach bum or babe, I suppose that's fine. But then there is the rest of your life to consider. A day is 24 hours long; how do you want to divide each of yours?

For those whose daily workouts make them extraordinarily happy, GREAT! They've found their earthly nirvana. But that is not everyone's idea of a good time. It certainly is not mine. I've got other shit to do. And as far as food is concerned: well, after I met my husband, he took over the cooking, and I suddenly went from grilled fish and salads to heavy sauces and heavy meats. I added fifty pounds before I even realized it. So I decided to try a weight loss program, and it worked! I stuck with it meticulously, eating only what they sent me, supplementing it only as they told me, and in a year I was leaner than when I had begun. Yay me!

Then they told me what I needed to do to maintain that.

I try to "eat healthy." I only eat when hungry, I tend to avoid processed foods, I dislike fast food in general, I love fruits and vegetables, my portions are what it takes to fill me up and no more. BUT...don't go telling me what I can and cannot eat for the rest of my life. That AIN'T gonna fly with me! Momma loves her cake and ice cream when she wants it. And she loves some wine at night when she feels like it. Etc.

So, bottom line?

I slowly gained most of the weight back, but it was different this time: I started realizing that the reason I hated the overweight version of myself so much wasn't because it was ugly or offensive or a disappointment or whatever. It was because it did not mesh with what SOCIETY was telling me I ought to look like. And I'm almost 60; I honestly don't give a damn what society thinks I should look like. My husband loves me as I am. I'm happy as I am. What else do I need? Oh sure, I'd be just as happy 20-30 pounds lighter, but not if I constantly had to worry about maintaining it. What I figure is: where my body settles in, that's where it belongs. I'll be damned if I'm going to waste my precious hours on this earth worrying about making it adhere to someone else's standards.

Again: I agree that obesity is a very significant problem in this country and I think that fast food and high-fructose corn syrup are the leading contributors to the epidemic. Record rates of diabetes, etc, are linked to this issue, and it needs to be addressed. But that does not mean that everyone needs to adhere to a single standard.

Slightly jiggly people, UNITE! We're pretty cool, too. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by kerry View Post
    While extreme obesity is obviously a significant problem, both in general in this country and for the health of the individuals involved, I tend to think that Americans too often obsess about weight, exercise, and the "perfect" body.

It is one thing to desire to be fit, within the parameters of whatever that means to you in your life. It is another altogether to make it such a focus in your life that it becomes your everything. Take a walk down the boardwalk in Venice Beach in California, for example: you'll see thousands of "beautiful bodies" that you know spend hours each day working out and more hours obsessing about everything that enters their bodies. And for the small window of time that one can get away with being a beach bum or babe, I suppose that's fine. But then there is the rest of your life to consider. A day is 24 hours long; how do you want to divide each of yours?

For those whose daily workouts make them extraordinarily happy, GREAT! They've found their earthly nirvana. But that is not everyone's idea of a good time. It certainly is not mine. I've got other shit to do. And as far as food is concerned: well, after I met my husband, he took over the cooking, and I suddenly went from grilled fish and salads to heavy sauces and heavy meats. I added fifty pounds before I even realized it. So I decided to try a weight loss program, and it worked! I stuck with it meticulously, eating only what they sent me, supplementing it only as they told me, and in a year I was leaner than when I had begun. Yay me!

Then they told me what I needed to do to maintain that.

I try to "eat healthy." I only eat when hungry, I tend to avoid processed foods, I dislike fast food in general, I love fruits and vegetables, my portions are what it takes to fill me up and no more. BUT...don't go telling me what I can and cannot eat for the rest of my life. That AIN'T gonna fly with me! Momma loves her cake and ice cream when she wants it. And she loves some wine at night when she feels like it. Etc.

So, bottom line?

I slowly gained most of the weight back, but it was different this time: I started realizing that the reason I hated the overweight version of myself so much wasn't because it was ugly or offensive or a disappointment or whatever. It was because it did not mesh with what SOCIETY was telling me I ought to look like. And I'm almost 60; I honestly don't give a damn what society thinks I should look like. My husband loves me as I am. I'm happy as I am. What else do I need? Oh sure, I'd be just as happy 20-30 pounds lighter, but not if I constantly had to worry about maintaining it. What I figure is: where my body settles in, that's where it belongs. I'll be damned if I'm going to waste my precious hours on this earth worrying about making it adhere to someone else's standards.

Again: I agree that obesity is a very significant problem in this country and I think that fast food and high-fructose corn syrup are the leading contributors to the epidemic. Record rates of diabetes, etc, are linked to this issue, and it needs to be addressed. But that does not mean that everyone needs to adhere to a single standard.

Slightly jiggly people, UNITE! We're pretty cool, too. :-)
    Yeah of coarse, I'm not talking about the "perfect body", I just feel like there's this rising idea that being obese is okay and people don't need to watch or think about their weight at all... Which is not. And actually I think the average idea of the "perfect body" probably isn't the healthiest, how healthy do you think it is to have such a low fat percentage. I think if you can't walk distances without panting and gasping for breath, or are finding it difficult to perform average tasks without being winded and it is related to the bad ratio of weight to stamina or whatever you obviously need to do something about it right? But if it doesn't affect your life medically and physically then I think that weight is perfectly okay.

For my friend it is affecting her and she notices that herself, but most of the people who she's surrounded by are telling her it's okay, and she needs to be happy with her body which I think is so wrong, she had a determination to do something after some motivation and then everybody else is giving her their excuse to why she doesn't need to do it, and as you said exercise isn't fun, so what if she's easily taken into that line of thinking?
    I mean at the moment she's not affected by it much, but imagine someone who is. She would benefit from thus health wise....

I understand that normal people don't have time to engage in hours of exercise everyday, hell.. Even I don't have time to exercise so much but there should be some minimum amount any person should do. At least before they get too old to change anything. Just an hour a week for any regular person should be healthy right?

I totally agree, miapeters. And I'm a little facetious myself: I know I need to exercise more. I'll wait until spring though; I hibernate in winter. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by kerry View Post
    I totally agree, miapeters. And I'm a little facetious myself: I know I need to exercise more. I'll wait until spring though; I hibernate in winter. :-)
    Last week there was no excuse. Last couple days.... back on the indoor trainer myself.

My opinion is somewhere around Binary's. I don't consider being overweight as a good thing that should be unduly supported, but people have to make their own decisions concerning diet and exercise.

I'm admittedly pretty overweight. It's not something I particularly like per se. I do try to get in some exercise, but I love eating, and my mother, who does most of the grocery shopping, doesn't bring home or cook the most healthful foods.

In fact, I tend to worry about my mother's health more than mine. She's also overweight, barely exercises, and has a load of medical problems. I try to tell her she should move around more, but if falls on deaf ears...