Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What Book are you reading?

Default What Book are you reading?

The last thread on this topic died for some reason, so I thought I'd resurrect it.

I just picked up "Game of Thorns," by Doug Wead. It's one of the first post-mortems of the US election. Clinton was thought to be a sure winner with nearly double the campaign funds than Trump and nearly all the polls and media placing her odds of winning the majority of the votes (let's not forget they weren't wrong). Trump meanwhile was boorish, appealing to the country's worst traits and uniting them.

It was the nastiest campaign that had political junkies around the world watching, led by the countries two most despised candidates. E-mail scandals, KKK endorsements, groping women, Russian interference, FBI interference, 'Little Marco,' this is an election that will never be forgotten... unfortunately.

Just started the book, but it looks like a fun read.
    Last edited by Starrunner; 24-Feb-2017 at 14:16.

I'm not too into political stuff, but the books I'm currently reading (revising) are actually technical books.

C# 2005 for dummies
    C++ for dummies
    C all in one desk reference for dummies.

Some of my reading material isn't books, but mostly technical websites, such as MSDN

Books on my too read list are
    George orwell 1984

Topics I'm interested in.
    History of Hitler (although a terrible person, his history is quite interesting)
    World War 1 and 2.
    Information Technology.
    Social Engineering.
    Life Hacks.
    Lock Picking.
    White collar crime, fraud etc. (although I obviously am not a criminal, I find it interesting what smart criminals think.)
    Science

I've got a weird bunch of interests lol.

I just finished re-reading Stephen King's "The Wind Through The Keyhole." Great stuff. I loved it the second time around.

Ghostkeepers by Cpl Scott Casey

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

I'm about to start Stephen King's Dark tower series..thanks sapphyre!

Just finished Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GoodOmens-Reprint.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	46.0 KB 
ID:	28666

It had me laughing...very hard..

"According to The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch (the world's only completely accurate book of prophecies, written in 1655, before she exploded), the world will end on a Saturday. Next Saturday, in fact. Just before dinner.

So the armies of Good and Evil are amassing, Atlantis is rising, frogs are falling, tempers are flaring. Everything appears to be going according to Divine Plan. Except a somewhat fussy angel and a fast-living demon—both of whom have lived amongst Earth's mortals since The Beginning and have grown rather fond of the lifestyle—are not actually looking forward to the coming Rapture."

Quote Originally Posted by Binary View Post
    Topics I'm interested in.
    History of Hitler (although a terrible person, his history is quite interesting)
    World War 1 and 2.
    Information Technology.
    Social Engineering.
    Life Hacks.
    Lock Picking.
    White collar crime, fraud etc. (although I obviously am not a criminal, I find it interesting what smart criminals think.)
    Science

I've got a weird bunch of interests lol.
    http://www.dancarlin.com/product/har...-armageddon-i/

A series of podcasts rather than a book, but if you're interested in the topic you'll get caught up in it. Something like 15 or 20 hours worth. I listened to it last winter on my bike trainer. To put it back on topic, Carlin's source books are also interesting. I've read a couple of them after listening. Knowing your financial situation, the podcasts are free, and the books I read are free via Gutenberg.org

I'm almost finished with Farseer Trilogy by Robin Hobb. A fantasy kind of along the lines of Game or Thrones or LOTR.

Quote Originally Posted by Binary View Post
    Books on my too read list are
    George orwell 1984
    Oh, you've got to read that! It's a great book, and there are so many cultural references to it. It's one of those books that you keep thinking about after you've finished reading it.

I haven't read a book for ages, so I'm pushing my old books onto my sister and telling her to read them! The first book I gave her was... yep... "Nineteen Eighty-Four"!

I also gave her Fyodor Dostoyevski's "Notes From Underground", which I found absolutely compelling (and it's short and easy-to-read). It's not like anything I've ever read before. It's crazy shit. Considered to be one of the first existential novels, it tells the story of a depressed, misanthropic, nihilistic civil servant in 19th century Russia going through a kind of neurotic breakdown. Utter genius!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Notes_from_Underground (Spoiler alert!)

Oh, and I've got to get her a copy of Normand Baillargeon's "A Short Course in Intellectual Self-Defense". It's concise, to-the-point and broken down into short logical sections making it easy-to-read.

https://books.google.co.uk/books/abo...gC&redir_esc=y

I"m almost at the end of "Toms River", the story about the chemical poisoning of the Toms River, N. J. water supply by Ciba Geigie and Union Carbide. Some of the water wells were on Holly St. and my parents and I lived on Pine St. the next street over. We, like all the residents of Toms River, were poisoned over a period of decades to chemicals like toluene, and others derived from coal tar derivatives. Toms River is a cancer epicenter, like Love Island and Woburn, Mass. My mom died of cancer as did her boss. At one time you could look down our street and see that every 4th house had someone in it dying of cancer. One such house included our next door neighbor.

I've had to read the book in small doses because it bothers me to know how many children in my home town developed brain cancer and leukemia. I lost two classmates to leukemia. It makes me feel like I'm a ticking cancer time bomb.

Quote Originally Posted by dogboy View Post
    I"m almost at the end of "Toms River", the story about the chemical poisoning of the Toms River, N. J. water supply by Ciba Geigie and Union Carbide. Some of the water wells were on Holly St. and my parents and I lived on Pine St. the next street over. We, like all the residents of Toms River, were poisoned over a period of decades to chemicals like toluene, and others derived from coal tar derivatives. Toms River is a cancer epicenter, like Love Island and Woburn, Mass. My mom died of cancer as did her boss. At one time you could look down our street and see that every 4th house had someone in it dying of cancer. One such house included our next door neighbor.

I've had to read the book in small doses because it bothers me to know how many children in my home town developed brain cancer and leukemia. I lost two classmates to leukemia. It makes me feel like I'm a ticking cancer time bomb.
    *hugs* I lost my best friend to leukemia. It was rather sudden and unexpected, but essentially due to his PCP being a complete moron. "Oh you're coughing up blood? Well if there's no discolored mucus in it then it's nothing to worry about!" >.<;;;

As for myself, I have a VERY over-active immune system. I have to carry Epi-Pens with me everywhere because I'll react to random things. Not usual allergens... I've had anaphylactic reactions to things like parsnips. And not by eating them... just CUTTING them. I see an immunologist now and he considers me one of his "interesting" clients. Lucky me. The plus side is I don't worry much about cancer, which is essentially a failure of the immune system... people develop cancers all the time but usually the immune system catches on and quashes it. Mine is so damn aggressive, I'd be astounded if I ever developed cancer. My best friend and I have always been kind-of "opposites" like that, in lots of ways. I'll probably end up with something like fibromyalgia, or MS. Basically the opposite problem.