Stimulant Abuse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

LittleJess

Banned
I have a little confession to make I'm pretty sure it's a factor for my hallucinations, but I actually abuse caffeine.

To give you an idea of how much caffeine I used to consume daily, was around a gram mostly for the high effects, It was something that made me happy and feel normal.

Something i've been doing most of my teenage years growing up, I've cut back recently, but I'll give you a general idea of how much caffeine I used to consume.

5x coffees, not a tea spoon, a table spoon. (100mg - 200mg) can't remember how much instant coffee contains.

4x Energy drinks the first two would be used to wake me up in the morning. (160 mg)
5x caffeine pills (100mg each)

So yeah, that's not exactly healthy lol.

By doing this I think I may fucked up my blood sugar levels in the past, I generally eat nothing and abuse caffeine -.-

So generally it's about roughly 1000mg a day I think.

but yeah I generally cut back because the amount of caffeine i have is causing some fucked up lucid dreams, and "out of body experiences"

Surprisingly i'm in "control" I can easily go from 1000 mgs of caffeine a day to one cup of coffee.

I have another hypothesis actually for why you might be experiencing hallucinations... and also for why you'd be craving caffeine so much. I won't share it here, in public.

But you are correct that such levels of caffeine consumption are unhealthy. Also, eating nothing isn't good either. It's an interesting combination, since generally caffeine accelerates the digestive tract. I can't so much as have a cup of tea without feeling as if I'm starving about an hour or two later.

I used to have a hankering for pints of coffee and soda and I used to take down a bunch of amphetamines and smoke cigarettes all day long. I've done other things, but at risk of violating TOU, yeah....

Things have improved, recently quit smoking cigarettes and drinking a reasonable amount of caffeine.

So yeah I understand the struggle of stimulant abuse.

Sapphyre said:
It's an interesting combination, since generally caffeine accelerates the digestive tract. I can't so much as have a cup of tea without feeling as if I'm starving about an hour or two later.

Sounds like me.

Overdosing on caffeine can have some dire effects on the heart and cardiovascular system. I enjoy drinking coffee, but I limit myself to three to four cups a day, which is plenty. I don't do anything else that would be harmful, however.

That's a lot of caffeine!

I continually try to cut my caffeine intake (try being the operative word) but still find I have somewhere between 8 to 12 shots of Espresso a day, no milk or sugar or maple syrup (which sounds nice actually) but wonder if I am overdoing it if I go beyond 12.

How is your heart still beating after all of that?! It won't be easy, but definitely cut back.
I drink about half a pot of coffee a day. Sometimes extra if I'm very tired. And I thought that was a lot.

ShippoFox said:
How is your heart still beating after all of that?! It won't be easy, but definitely cut back.
I drink about half a pot of coffee a day. Sometimes extra if I'm very tired. And I thought that was a lot.

I assume genetics to be honest with you, my dad drinks more coffee than me, my nana drinks tons and smokes tons doesn't have cancer etc, I guess it might have something to do with genes.

Dunno what happened to me, but I lack the alcohol gene, and rarely drink.

So this is actually a bit of an interesting topic that I have actually had something come across with new research into caffeine consumption. However, I do have to point out that the amount that you are consuming is definitely on the extreme side (i know a few people that would consume that and a few that would have even more than that in a day). But would be a good idea to cut down to a maximum of 5-6 cups of caffeine per day (each of those caffeine pills contains one cup of coffee equivalent and the energy drinks, assuming you don't get the big ones, are one cup of coffee as well).

I had a friend that probably have about 8 cups in one day accidently - he kind of just lost track of how many he had and didn't give it much thought. He ended up being admitted to the cardiac unit overnight as his heart started beating irregularly (he went into something called atrial fibrillation). He did self-revert, but he was pretty concerned and since then hasn't done that again. So yeah, high amounts of caffeine can put your heart into an irregular rhythm which can be quite dangerous.

The other thing I thought was interesting about caffeine is that there is currently some research into high consumption of caffeine and dementia/Alzheimer's. They actually showed that people that regularly consume 4-5 cups of coffee per day were less likely to develop dementia later in life. They did touch on the fact that this also has some negative consequences as well (things like potentially being at risk for irregular heart conditions). But it didn't seems to increase their risk of heart attacks at that level of consumption (they didn't really look into higher levels of caffeine intake).

Zeek61 said:
So this is actually a bit of an interesting topic that I have actually had something come across with new research into caffeine consumption. However, I do have to point out that the amount that you are consuming is definitely on the extreme side (i know a few people that would consume that and a few that would have even more than that in a day). But would be a good idea to cut down to a maximum of 5-6 cups of caffeine per day (each of those caffeine pills contains one cup of coffee equivalent and the energy drinks, assuming you don't get the big ones, are one cup of coffee as well).

I had a friend that probably have about 8 cups in one day accidently - he kind of just lost track of how many he had and didn't give it much thought. He ended up being admitted to the cardiac unit overnight as his heart started beating irregularly (he went into something called atrial fibrillation). He did self-revert, but he was pretty concerned and since then hasn't done that again. So yeah, high amounts of caffeine can put your heart into an irregular rhythm which can be quite dangerous.

The other thing I thought was interesting about caffeine is that there is currently some research into high consumption of caffeine and dementia/Alzheimer's. They actually showed that people that regularly consume 4-5 cups of coffee per day were less likely to develop dementia later in life. They did touch on the fact that this also has some negative consequences as well (things like potentially being at risk for irregular heart conditions). But it didn't seems to increase their risk of heart attacks at that level of consumption (they didn't really look into higher levels of caffeine intake).

That's quite interesting, I think it's dependent on the person, with me it doesn't effect my heart beat, or blood pressure, only side effects I get are massive panic attacks, usually from what I've heard most of the time "hospitalization" is mostly caused by not-diagnosed or untreated heart conditions, for example you hear on the news that some kid died from having one energy drink, but left out any useful information, such as genetics, or weather or not she had a heart problem.

I must have low blood pressure or something, whenever I seem to get my blood pressure measured, it's always on the low side, or normal. kind of odd even after drinking 4 energy drinks.

If I have more than 10 cups of coffee, I generally feel the effects on my digestive system, I would usually eat a truck load of food, poop a lot etc. I've been drinking coffee since I was 13 so I guess it might just be genes to be honest.

Heart problems don't really run in my family at all, so that could explain why I haven't had any ill effects after consuming this much for many years, only one person in my family has heart problems, but that was caused by 50 years of smoking and binge drinking.

I'm asthmatic so it helps me breath better which is a plus.

Binary said:
To give you an idea of how much caffeine I used to consume daily, was around a gram mostly for the high effects, It was something that made me happy and feel normal.

This is the line that stands out to me - what was it about vast quantities of caffeine that made you feel "normal"? For the typical person, 1000mg of caffeine will feel very abnormal.

I can think of several possible answers to that, though I think it's fair to say that we're in the territory where you should be discussing this with a doctor. The underlying reason, though, I strongly suspect is something for which there's a better solution than 1000mg of caffeine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back