Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: When there is no way to get help ...

MarchinBunny

Default When there is no way to get help ...

So, this has been on my mind time and time again due to my inability to actually get professional help. No money, not a Canadian citizen or resident, no health insurance, no way to get a job. So by now, most people know I am stuck. I also know most really have no idea on anyway to help such a situation just as much as I have no idea what to do either.

But it does beg the question ... when there is no way to get professional help ... what exactly should I be doing? Is there anything I can be doing in the meantime until I can get such help?

I suspect I have these issues -
    Anger, Anxiety Disorder, ADHD, Autism, Depression, Panic Disorder, and Borderline Personality Disorder. Keeping in mind, a lot of these probably can be combined as in some can be a symptom of one of them. Such as I know anger, depression, and anxieties can occur with BPD.
    The reason I suspect I have these issue is simply because I have symptoms associated with them and have taken screenings for all of these most of which came out as high risk. I also should probably add I am transgender as well which comes with its own set of problems on top of all of that. But I have already been diagnosed with gender identity disorder, quite a while ago.

So, does anyone have any idea what I can be doing exactly to help these issues without professional help? What can I be doing to prevent myself from spiraling downward to the point of suicide? I know there is no replacement for professional help, but I feel like there has to be something I can do in the meantime when I have no way to get that professional help.

Sorry, I can't help on this one other than to wish you a bit of luck. Hope you find a way to work through it.

Hi, MarchinBunny.

As a Canadian, I'd be very disappointed to learn that there is no help available. It just feels, well, un-Canadian.

Have you tried any of the Community Health Centres where you live? The ones in our area have doctors, nurses, and social workers who treat people with low incomes and the homeless population who often don't have their health cards. They may have be able to offer some treatment and give some suggestions for ways to get health benefits. The link below is for the CHC's which I believe are in your area.

http://settlement.org/findhelp/ontar...ealth-centres/

If you haven't done so already, I'd be inclined to get some legal advice from a local Community Legal Clinic. They should be able to advise you of your legal rights and entitlements. They may also have strategies on how to eligible for service.

Grey-Bruce Community Legal Clinic

http://www.gblegalclinic.com/info.html

The online service also has a Lawyer Referral Service where you can a get a free half hour consultation with a lawyer to go over your case and options.

The Canadian Mental Health Association may also be able to assist. I'm not sure if they are stringent on citizenship requirements, but it would be worth the attempt. They have a case management service, support groups, a mental health helpline and other services. You can contact them by phone, e-mail or chat.

http://www.mentalhealthhelpline.ca/Home/Contact

These would be my top three choices of places that would be best qualified to help you or give proper advice on your situation. If doing it by phone is difficult, they may take walk-ins or schedule an appointment.

There is also the Grey-Simcoe We CARE project, which does a lot of work with gender identity, mental health and youth. I'm not sure of the cutoff age for youth but at the every least they should be able to give some referrals.

http://www.wecaregreybruce.ca/ytopic.php?id=5
    Last edited by Starrunner; 23-Feb-2017 at 17:08.

MarchinBunny

Quote Originally Posted by Slomo View Post
    Sorry, I can't help on this one other than to wish you a bit of luck. Hope you find a way to work through it.
    Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Starrunner View Post
    Hi, MarchinBunny.

As a Canadian, I'd be very disappointed to learn that there is no help available. It just feels, well, un-Canadian.

Have you tried any of the Community Health Centres where you live? The ones in our area have doctors, nurses, and social workers who treat people with low incomes and the homeless population who often don't have their health cards. They may have be able to offer some treatment and give some suggestions for ways to get health benefits. The link below is for the CHC's which I believe are in your area.

http://settlement.org/findhelp/ontar...ealth-centres/

If you haven't done so already, I'd be inclined to get some legal advice from a local Community Legal Clinic. They should be able to advise you of your legal rights and entitlements. They may also have strategies on how to eligible for service.

Grey-Bruce Community Legal Clinic

The online service also has a Lawyer Referral Service where you can a get a free half hour consultation with a lawyer to go over your case and options.

The Canadian Mental Health Association may also be able to assist. I'm not sure if they are stringent on citizenship requirements, but it would be worth the attempt. They have a case management service, support groups, a mental health helpline and other services. You can contact them by phone, e-mail or chat.

http://www.mentalhealthhelpline.ca/Home/Contact

These would be my top three choices of places that would be best qualified to help you or give proper advice on your situation. If doing it by phone is difficult, they may take walk-ins or schedule an appointment.

There is also the Grey-Simcoe We CARE project, which does a lot of work with gender identity, mental health and youth. I'm not sure of the cutoff age for youth but at the every least they should be able to give some referrals.

http://www.wecaregreybruce.ca/ytopic.php?id=5
    I actually had contacted CMHA quite a bit ago and found out they have a clinic rather close by, within walking distance. I explained the situation that I was in as best as I could, and they contacted me back letting me know that I can stop in at anytime, but they do their walk-in clinic thing on Thursdays between 1pm - 3pm I believe it was or something like that, so it be best to go in then. I still have the email. They said they would help me find resources and such.

So I had been planning on going of course, but I am not sure if you are aware, I hurt my foot back in late December a little before Christmas. Well it's been about 2 months now and it still has not healed. On the side of my right foot is dry, red, and slightly swolen, close to where the bone on the side is and a bit on the top of my foot too. It does not hurt to walk on, but it does hurt bit if I apply pressure to it. So long story short, I have not gone because I assume it's not a good idea to go for a long walk on this foot -.-. It hasn't gotten worse, but it also hasn't gotten better as far as I can tell. Truthfully I have no idea what is wrong. From everything I looked up, it looks just like a sprained ankle, but ... I would have expected it to have healed by now. Anything serious it could be, it really doesn't look like at all, nor do I have any sort of symptoms associated with them.

I'm not sure if this would be an option where you are, but you could try to use public transit or have a friend drive you to the clinic.

Again I don't know what services are available where you are but you could go to your local welfare office and meet with them and sign up for any services you are eligible for with them. At least until you are back on your feet.

You could look for work. I know, at least here, even some part time jobs offer benefits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MarchinBunny

Quote Originally Posted by photogirl View Post
    I'm not sure if this would be an option where you are, but you could try to use public transit or have a friend drive you to the clinic.

Again I don't know what services are available where you are but you could go to your local welfare office and meet with them and sign up for any services you are eligible for with them. At least until you are back on your feet.

You could look for work. I know, at least here, even some part time jobs offer benefits.

Actually, there isn't a whole lot of public transportation here. Honestly, when I first moved to Canada I was pretty surprised with the lack of public transit. I don't know if it's just this area, might be.
    As for getting a job, I specifically can't due to not being a citizen here or having workers permit. Technically speaking I am here illegally ... but not really on purpose per se. Things just didn't work out well and I have nowhere else to go.

Quote Originally Posted by MarchinBunny View Post
    Actually, there isn't a whole lot of public transportation here. Honestly, when I first moved to Canada I was pretty surprised with the lack of public transit. I don't know if it's just this area, might be.
    As for getting a job, I specifically can't due to not being a citizen here or having workers permit. Technically speaking I am here illegally ... but not really on purpose per se. Things just didn't work out well and I have nowhere else to go.
    Okay. Well if you don't have somewhere to live there must be shelters or something like that.

MarchinBunny

Quote Originally Posted by photogirl View Post
    Okay. Well if you don't have somewhere to live there must be shelters or something like that.

Right, that has been recommended to me before, but I don't think it's something I can really do. At least not in my current state. I can barely handle things now as it is. See it's not that I don't think it's a bad idea, if I wasn't me ... I think that be a great idea. But I me, and I know myself too well to know that would work. Likely what would happen is I would get no where and would just end up becoming stuck and ... probably eventually commit suicide. Obviously, I would like to put myself in a better situation, not one that can possibly turn out worse.

I am also very scared to leave here unless I knew there was some security in doing so, where I knew things would be alright. All my life I have lived in an abusive environment, and this is the first place that isn't really the case. So leaving frightens me. Truthfully, I doubt my ex's family would even want me to do something like that.

I really don't know, while this may not be the worst position I have ever been in my life, it's certainly the most complicated and stuck I have ever been. I mean to be perfectly honest, before I moved here I actually said to myself I was going to commit suicide if this didn't work out. That was legitmately my plan B.

What prevents you from going back to the country you are "legal" in and getting help, no matter how nice a person you are, people can't support you indefinitely financially, and your mental health will never get better unless you take the steps to get help ,but it sounds like you need intensive case management to get your living and working situation improved so you can focus on your mental health.
    Are you a refugee from a country that sucks and can ask for asylum in Canada to get yourself "legal" and have services made available to you ? With no risk comes no reward , you can't stay stuck in one place forever or wonder how things can change if you are stuck in an endless cycle ,you have to take control of your life and make the changes necessary to grow , those changes may be intimidating or scary to contemplate but you are not the first or last person who has or will face these issues.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Default Let go...

Quote Originally Posted by MarchinBunny View Post
    [...]

So, does anyone have any idea what I can be doing exactly to help these issues without professional help? What can I be doing to prevent myself from spiraling downward to the point of suicide? I know there is no replacement for professional help, but I feel like there has to be something I can do in the meantime when I have no way to get that professional help.
    If, you have not yet...

You are going to have to:
    a.) Speak openly about your issues with your host family.
    b.) Use the phone "let your fingers do the walking" (professional help).
    c.) Ask the local immigration services for information and advice.
    d.) All/Some of the above.

My concern is that you appear to be seeking guarantees for more ideal, rock-solid, conclusions and results. Those likely do not exist; you'll need to compromise more (take positive risks - as mentioned before) and, get the support to fortify your strength and determination to move forward and grow.

My interpretation is that you are either or both, too psychologically and/or physically impaired to take the steps necessary on your own alone, for your advancement.

With that assumed, you need to have someone else who can/will assist and/or take actions and steps to get the services, on your be-half, that you'll require right-now, to get anywhere.

There is one other thing that you might do (and, it's not near as drastic or damning as 'spiraling down' and 'tap-dancing' with suicidal notions)...

Just say fuck-it! ...for a while... sit back and relax! Guilt-free... No, not as a distraction; as a deliberate act of reprieve, intentional and, entitled. This wont require anyone else's participation (though, it may include it)... it eliminates that sort of dependency too; which is probably why you get so cross and hurt when others are not available, to aid your distraction and preoccupation with 'playing' keep-a-way from your anxieties...

There is nothing that you are going to solve by, obsessing and fretting, abusing yourself and others - 24/7, day & night, over and over and over...

You have become a fugitive in your own mind so... rather than keep running all of the time and, another option besides doing an about-face to go head-on with your troubles... take a left-turn into the proverbial and/or literal 'garden-path'... hang out for a while, watching birds or, cloud formations... just being free and natural... commune with simple nature... imagine it... find it out in the yard... contemplate trees and insects, drift for a while... be free...

Why not?
    -Marka