Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: stupid advertisements.

Default stupid advertisements.

Thanks to the invention of adblock, I no longer really have to deal with advertisements, that being said I'm going to be talking about television advertisement.

(warning this is kind of just my opinion and not based on any fact at all, just had to point that out xD)

The problem with advertisements on television is I can see right though it, and it appears to be targeted towards people who can't think for themselves.

Advertisements are also so annoying in the sense that most are bad or repetitive, or purposely target those who cannot think, or better yet the person talking is cringeworthy and it's just awful.

A good example of this are the religious advertisements, but now to secure a place in heaven, or the world is ending buy this book for $39,99.

That and most ads are very deceptive, for example the mcdonalds advertisements, targeted mostly towards children and are obviously aired at times people are watching nonsense like the x-factor.

I'm not sure why advertisements don't really effect me (other than the diaper ones but ironcly I just happen to be in the room when that happens) but most of the time the person next to me wants to buy the item and I never understood why.. for example if an advertisement for a oven came on, first thing that they will say after watching it, oh lets get that... eh wow ok.

Oh God I'm starting to sound like a 50 year old man pissed off at the world lol.

I generally avoid watching television for that reason I just can't stand 5 minutes of it, and have no clue how the hell people watch soap operas, to me it's stupid and pointless, I know people who literally cry over some random actor dying on a TV show, then there is me, meh shit happens, it's a tv show don't have to put so much emotion into it.

Generally soap operas advertisements go like this.
    Jane flirts with another chick.
    Someone dies in a car accident.
    Someone cheats on someone.
    Oh there is a house fire.
    SOMEONE GETS MURDER, OMG SOMEONE KILLED SOMEONE HOW DARE DAY.

That and it's so "unrealistic", all upper class people living in nice houses, and stupid unrealistic things happen.

Than again, television is targeted towards a specific audience, most of the people I've come across who watch soap operas in real life aren't that bright to be honest, and tend to be overall emotional, or say shit along the lines of.

oh me god, that kid who is singing in the gym in assembelee is gonna be the next justin beiber.
    Omg that shitty FX artist is da best, it looks soooo releastic.
    Omg he is gonna be the next bill gates, points to a kid with an IQ roughly in the ranges of 70-80....
    Oooo me good, did yah hear the news, there was a house fire near my house, (being 45 KMs away...)

Obviously not all people are like this, just what I've seen in real life, than again I don't really know anyone lol.

Than you've got people who watch TV and spread whatever they hear or see on television like its fact without researching it in the first place.

I should clarify I'm not blaming a medium for anything, It's mostly the people who watch it, same can go with any mediums, books, internet etc.

I'm most likely over generalising
    Last edited by LittleJess; 22-Feb-2017 at 22:06.

I look at ads differently , I see them and think to myself this company wants in too my wallet, they want me to spend money I may or may not have , use a credit card if you don't have it , just spend ,spend spend and let the cycle repeat with the next big thing , therefore I do not spend on most things that are over advertised or part of an infomercial or an infomercial disguised as an interview with Larry King, I am not the Jones, nor do I give a shit what they have or attempt to keep up with them , today's gadget of technology is tomorrow's paperweight of disappointment , so I just ignore it all ,yes I have two large screen led tvs that are HD , do I plan on upgrading to 4k not on your life it's a waste of money because most TV is jot even in HD let alone 4k , HD is fine with a blue ray, I don't need to see anything more than blue ray honestly do you really want a better view of the pores on some actors face , not me , just the way I was raised, buy what you need and can afford and don't worry about anything else .

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Tetra View Post
    I look at ads differently , I see them and think to myself this company wants in too my wallet, they want me to spend money I may or may not have , use a credit card if you don't have it , just spend ,spend spend and let the cycle repeat with the next big thing , therefore I do not spend on most things that are over advertised or part of an infomercial or an infomercial disguised as an interview with Larry King, I am not the Jones, nor do I give a shit what they have or attempt to keep up with them , today's gadget of technology is tomorrow's paperweight of disappointment , so I just ignore it all ,yes I have two large screen led tvs that are HD , do I plan on upgrading to 4k not on your life it's a waste of money because most TV is jot even in HD let alone 4k , HD is fine with a blue ray, I don't need to see anything more than blue ray honestly do you really want a better view of the pores on some actors face , not me , just the way I was raised, buy what you need and can afford and don't worry about anything else .

4K will eventually become standard, but over time, maybe 10+ years from now?

True but think of what a TV will be in 10 years , I will get a new one then ! Then again maybe not I will be dead in 10 years .

Quote Originally Posted by Tetra View Post
    True but think of what a TV will be in 10 years , I will get a new one then ! Then again maybe not I will be dead in 10 years .

Ah genreally after some things become standard it becomes cheaper i generally wait a couple years before something comes out to buy it.

I know people who wastes like $1000 on a gadget than it becomes half that in generally a year or so.

I, an older member.....sigh.......remember when all TV signals came over the air via a TV antenna. All the shows were free, so the advertisements existed to pay for producing the shows, paying the actors, etc. But now we all pay through the butt, either for cable, satellite dish, or internet. So why are we paying twice? The TV providers have to pay money to air shows such as NBC or CBS, etc. I'm tired of paying twice, once for the service, and twice by having to see stupid commercials.

Part of the solution is that my wife and I DVR a lot of the shows and then we fast forward through the commercials. We also have a Netflix account and those shows like "Stranger Things" don't have commercials, but we are paying extra in addition to Direct TV.

As for commercials, I enjoy some of the movie trailers and some of the really funny commercials, but most commercials are trash. They have no entertainment value and they lie about their products. The worst commercials are political advertisements. 'nuff said on that subject!

But wait... there's more!! You can get TWO of (whatever) for 3 easy payments of $19.95! Call now!!

And actually... I STILL get TV via antenna. I just don't watch it very often. Too many commercials that are too repetitive and insulting to the viewer. I'm certainly not about to pay for the privilege of watching them.

I know what you mean about TV adverts. When I went away to university (back in the day), I don't think I even saw a TV for a few months. I came back to my parents' and couldn't believe how deeply patronising and full of BS adverts were.

These days I have ad-blockers on my PCs and phone, have trained myself to avert my eyes from printed adverts, and either mute or skip TV adverts, so it's rare that I see any adverts at all.

I don't understand how the subtext of an advert can be so obvious and shallow (use this cheap and nasty deodorant and women will find you irresistible) and yet people (apparently) still fall for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Binary View Post
    I'm not sure why advertisements don't really effect me...
    Adverts affect everyone who sees them. The brain can't just disregard information. It affects us on a subconscious level. Human psychology is irritatingly irrational. :-/

It shouldn't be possible for a pretty picture of a cartoon camel to make people want to inhale toxic smoke. Junk-food manufacturers shouldn't be so eager to associate their products with sporting events... but even intelligent people seem to fall for it.

The one thing that makes my head explode, though, is shopping channels. A whole channel of tediously slow-paced, really bad adverts for over-priced crap that you could google and get 20% cheaper in seconds. Just... wow. Why....???

Quote Originally Posted by tiny View Post
    I know what you mean about TV adverts. When I went away to university (back in the day), I don't think I even saw a TV for a few months. I came back to my parents' and couldn't believe how deeply patronising and full of BS adverts were.

These days I have ad-blockers on my PCs and phone, have trained myself to avert my eyes from printed adverts, and either mute or skip TV adverts, so it's rare that I see any adverts at all.

I don't understand how the subtext of an advert can be so obvious and shallow (use this cheap and nasty deodorant and women will find you irresistible) and yet people (apparently) still fall for it.

Adverts affect everyone who sees them. The brain can't just disregard information. It affects us on a subconscious level. Human psychology is irritatingly irrational. :-/

It shouldn't be possible for a pretty picture of a cartoon camel to make people want to inhale toxic smoke. Junk-food manufacturers shouldn't be so eager to associate their products with sporting events... but even intelligent people seem to fall for it.

The one thing that makes my head explode, though, is shopping channels. A whole channel of tediously slow-paced, really bad adverts for over-priced crap that you could google and get 20% cheaper in seconds. Just... wow. Why....???
    Obviously it effects us on a subconscious level, but It doesn't seem to have the effect it does on others, things like hypnosis seem to not work at all for me.

Most of the time emotions are generally irrational, worst part is, for most people it plays a major fact in decision making, for the most part with me it's a secondary "decision maker", but obviously still plays a role.

i'll give you a good example, a depressing one infact.

When I'm suicidal, it's generally the result of me going though the most logical things, than if i don't find a logical decision, I go for an emotional one.

For example with my debt, i've gone though all the possible things logically, i've applied for jobs, can't get a job etc, I could wait it out go to court and ignore it, or the emotional decision is suicide, or running away.

Obviously the emotional decision isn't the most logical, or one that makes any sense at all, but it generally comes after i've "worn out all my possible options" on a logical level.

The OP hit this one on the head. I remember back when commercials highlighted a product to get you to know it existed. They showed what it could do to improve your life.

This wasn't too bad either as commercials were very limited. Maybe one or two, and rarely three in a row. This would happen two or maybe three times per show. Now it's nearly if not literally half of the air time allocated to commercials. I even remember the advent of paid cable tv specifically to get rid of commercials all together. Yeah right, that didn't last.

Now its all gimmicky, slap stick, sex appeal crap. They only want your attention, and often enough you're left wondering what product was even being advertised. Either this, or they sell their product in such a stupid way it leaves you feeling dumber for having watched it.

I've since cut the cord and all of those stupid commercials. And I'm better for it.