Status
Not open for further replies.

icklespace

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Little
so I have learning disabilities and I need to start finding a job soon I find its stressful as I have poor handwriting and I never learnt how to do a signature
and I find paper base work hard and stressful I know there is a lot of jobs where you don't have to do a lot of paperwork but I will have to sing for things a do a bit of paperwork probably.

can you guys help me out and give me advice please

icklespace said:
so I have learning disabilities and I need to start finding a job soon I find its stressful as I have poor handwriting and I never learnt how to do a signature
and I find paper base work hard and stressful I know there is a lot of jobs where you don't have to do a lot of paperwork but I will have to sing for things a do a bit of paperwork probably.

can you guys help me out and give me advice please

Most companies/organizations are going to critique your signature, have you ever seen a hockey player's signature (Google if you haven't).

I'm currently in College to become an OHS Officer, that's Occupational Health and Safety, one of the instructors who also work in the field for a company, have other OHS with learning disabilities like ADHD.

Don't shoot yourself down and assume you won't be able to handle the work load, they'll give you the proper training, they're not going to just come up to after being hired and dump paper work and say, "File all the forms in alphabetical order and then organize them according to state/province and year". That would be company suicide, especially if you have no idea what is what.

Human Resources or a center will help you with resume development, job search and interviews, they'll work with you to help where you struggle.

Says on your profile you're from England, so I don't much of what is offered in terms of support like I mentioned. But these are free services by the government here in Canada, their goal is to keep people off welfare and help them work.

Social Services and/or Human Resources would direct you to where you need to look.

Try not to stress too much, I know that's easier said than done. Check out those services, if your country has them I'm sure they do, they'll help.

In my experience I have never been critiqued on my signature, or not accepted for a job because my signature looks like a doctor wrote it. (Mostly illegible scrawl)

Just learn how to sign you name, and don't worry about learning cursive. Nobody really uses it anymore since we aren't concerned about slaves becoming educated anymore either.

One good way to learn it is to do a google search for "online cursive generator". Type in your name, and convert it to cursive standard. Copy the result on paper and practice rewriting it till you have it memorized.

Reactions: MagicMeow
Slomo said:
Just learn how to sign you name,
I normaly print my name

icklespace said:
I normaly print my name

Does that always work? I know a lot of places at least used to not accept printed "signatures" or the old X standby either. The same on checks, banks always used to require a valid signature to use them.

I still use my old signature though, so I haven't exactly been testing that old standard.

Although I do not suffer any form of learning disability i do suffer the following issues.

I can't write well, I can't spell well, or do grammar well (dyslexia runs in the family) and I'm awful with numbers.

Same with writing my signature but with practice you'll get there eventually, don't lose hope.

My hand writing is equivalent to a doctors, if i don't write for a while I end up writing this in reverse, ie E's as 3's never understood why.

My buddy in the sheet metal union has had a learning disability all of his life. He's brighter than most, but he's just slow to learn. Sheet metal is actually a very engineering-governed and precision based trade. He's also an esteemed steward there. So for those who say it can't be done, just think of his example.

Maybe try to apply your hand in the trades. Most mechanics are actually quite patient and accommodating if you just have the right attitude and aptitude.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back