Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Transgender - Mental Illness?

mikejames

Default Transgender - Mental Illness?

You're probably in a dark place because your condition is treated improperly. Mental illness should not be treated with hormones and surgery. The doctors who push this type of "treatment" aren't helping you.

Gender dysphoria is problem with the brain, not the body.

http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/...der-sex-change

Quote Originally Posted by mikejames View Post
    You're probably in a dark place because your condition is treated improperly. Mental illness should not be treated with hormones and surgery. The doctors who push this type of "treatment" aren't helping you.

So you're saying being transgender be can fixed with therapy and/or medicine? What's next, making gay people straight?
    Last edited by KimbaWolfNagihiko; 19-Feb-2017 at 14:17.

Wrong. It is a mismatch between the two. The best solution, as much research has found, is to change the body to match the brain, not the other way around.

A number of studies have debunked Hopkins' misinformation.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/brynn-...b_9510808.html
    Last edited by HogansHeroes; 21-Feb-2017 at 05:34. Reason: moving to split thread

mikejames

Quote Originally Posted by KimbaStarshine View Post
    So you're saying being transgender be can fixed with therapy and/or medicine? What's next, making gay people straight?
    Im not saying anything. One of the most accomplished psychiatrists on the planet is. Ill take his word over yours or huffpo's any day.

mikejames

Quote Originally Posted by Starrunner View Post
    Hi, Reaper,

I'm posting a link from the John Hopkins University with resources for the Trans community in Baltimore.

http://studentaffairs.jhu.edu/lgbtq/...n/links/#trans

I imagine you're probably aware of whatever support is available, but I wanted to send it just in case, and because there is so much more I wish I could do to help.

I'm not a trans person myself, but I know what it's like not to feel accepted in society for trying to be who you are. I spent nearly a decade of my younger life working in the federal government which was a very conservative environment. It was during the late 70's and early 80's and I was a gay person living in the closet, or at least, I was doing my best to remain hidden and stay off the radar. I wasn't always successful. Occasionally one of those gay 'mannerisms' would surface and I would be the brunt of jokes and people talking behind my back. I faked it as best I could, trying to put on a straight fašade but I was never entirely successful. And gays were despised during that time. It was during the advent of the AIDS crisis and there were jokes about it all around the office; What do you call a fag on roller skates? Answer :Roll-aids. Laughter all around. It wasn't until I left the government that I slowly started to have the courage to accept and be myself.

When I look back on those days, I realize how miserable I was because I wanted their acceptance, and the only way I could get it was by not accepting myself. It took time to get over it. I was able to find a small group of friends who I learned to trust ands support me and help me through some tough days. As I get older, I've found that negative, ill-informed judgements really don't bother me anymore. They occur less frequently as people get older since most adults really don't seem to care as much about another person's sexual orientation or identity. I think overall society is changing,, albeit very slowly, and we are gaining more acceptance. The ones that can't accept it are the ones who get left behind.

I've often said that the gay and lesbian movement was several decades behind the women's movement, and that the trans movement is several decades behind the gay and lesbian movement. We won't arrive until we all arrive... but we will get there. During those miserable days of being a closeted gay man working in a homophobic work environment, I never could have imagined that, twenty years later, our country would be one of the first in the world to legalize same-sex marriages.

Just keep getting support wherever you can get it, and get as much of it as you can. You have a lot of courage in facing ignorance and intolerance, and you certainly have the right to be angry. Just don't let that anger consume you or define you and use it instead to be an educator and a proponent of change.

Stay strong, friend. It does get better.

A number of studies have debunked Hopkins' misinformation.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/brynn-...b_9510808.html
    Lol at huffpo

MarchinBunny

You got the opinion of one person and then decide that single person is correct because it fits well within your own views. That is what we call being biased btw.

mikejames

Quote Originally Posted by MarchinBunny View Post
    You got the opinion of one person and then decide that single person is correct because it fits well within your own views. That is what we call being biased btw.
    I believe in science. I dont have anything against trans people. I just dont think they get the right treatment. Their suicide rates support that

He is far from the only highly qualified physician to have reached that conclusion.

I believe in science. I dont have anything against trans people. I just dont think they get the right treatment. Their suicide rates support that

He is far from the only highly qualified physician to have reached that conclusion.
    Yeah, but he's in a small minority who entertain that concept. And conversion therapy, statistically has caused a lot of harm. I'm surprised to hear these theories from the 50s and '60s are still floating around.

MarchinBunny

Ya, and there are countless others who have arrived at quite the opposite conclusion. I believe in science just as much as you do. I know for certain the science isn't really there yet, and who you decide to listen to in this matter is entirely based on your bias on the matter. I can go into how there is a lot of evidence that supports transitioning, as there are plenty whom have had successful transitions and live very happy and forfilling lives.

Also, just to point out, the reason transitioning is done is because trying to change the person through therapy has already been shown to simply not work well. So whatever treatment you think think is better, does not yet exist. If you think there is some sort of better treatment that has yet to be tried, I am sure everyone is all ears.

For now, it's better to treat the person in the manner that makes them happy.

Something else to consider is unless you are transgender, it can be very difficult for you to understand. No one wants to change who they are as a person unless they feel it's for the better. Much like no one here would want to be "corrected" on being an AB/DL. It's not really harming anyone and it's what makes us happy. So why should anyone such as you, say what is or isn't the correct way to obtain treatment?

The truth here is you actually don't really have the slightest clue on what you are talking about. You found someone who agrees with your thought process on the matter and ignored all of the other studies and evidence that exists on the opposite end. I hold science pretty high, and I admit there is absolutely no conclusive proof right now, but that goes both sides.

Personally, I am biased just as you are, and I choose to transition. The reason though is because it's my choice. I am transgender. I have a good reason to be biased on the matter as it's my life.