Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flynn's Final Flight

Default Flynn's Final Flight

Does anyone even remember anymore when there wasn't some sort of chaos or scandal happening in the White House? Donald Trump hasn't even been in power for a month before one of his top aides resigned in scandal.

After days of leaks about what National Security Adviser Michael Flynn may have said to the Russian ambassador during the transition, Flynn finally resigned. Flynn's contact with Russia has been described as potentially illegal due to the 1799 Logan Act, which bans private US citizens from negotiating with countries with which the US is in dispute. If the talks are found to be illegal it raises serious questions about whether Trump, who has called for closer ties with Russia, was aware that they took place, and when he knew it.

It's pretty ironic for the top security advisor to have to resign when Trump's whole campaign against Clinton was about alleged breaches of security.

Flynn, like some of Trump's other appointees was known for his anti-Muslim rhetoric and having close ties with Russia. Flynn claimed not to have discussed sanctions during calls with the Russian ambassador to the US, a claim that was backed up by VP Mike Pence. However reports surfaced that sanctions were indeed discussed, and Flynn could no longer continue with his denials.

http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/whit...ssians-n720191

The acting attorney general informed the White House late last month that she believed Flynn had misled senior administration officials about the nature of his communications with the Russian ambassador to the United States, and warned that the national security adviser was potentially vulnerable to Russian blackmail.

With Flynn’s resignation, the Trump administration has already made history; Flynn’s time in the office is the shortest of anyone’s since the position of national security adviser was created. However, it raises serious questions over the president’s involvement. By whose authority did Flynn act and to whom did he report?
    Last edited by Starrunner; 15-Feb-2017 at 03:05.

Quote Originally Posted by Starrunner View Post
    Does anyone even remember anymore when there wasn't some sort of chaos or scandal happening in the White House?
    Well yes, my memory goes back more than three weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Starrunner View Post
    It's pretty ironic for the top security advisor to have to resign when Trump's whole campaign against Clinton was about alleged breaches of security.
    I'm not going to say ironic so much as hypocritical.

Points one and two are pretty much analogous to what Trump wanted to put Hilary in prison for. Point three isn't really apples-to-apples but adds more support to the hardly-controversial claim that the Trump administration has a blase attitude toward protecting state secrets. And point four? Ok, Hilary risked allowing state secrets into the open. Trump wants to hire a guy who actively gave away state secrets to the woman he was fucking.

So, this is just the thing that Mike Flynn happened to get caught for first.

The best case interpretation for Trump is that he was merely complicit and incompetent enough to keep Flynn around after being explicitly told Flynn was compromised before his inauguration. There's a pretty wide range of much worse interpretations.

There is an absurd amount of circumstantial evidence that there was some level of coordination between the Trump campaign and Russia - everything from Rudy Giuliani and Roger Stone seemingly knowing too much about Clinton emails soon to be released to the Trump campaign repeatedly citing stories that as far as anyone could tell had only been published thus far on Russian propaganda sites. We may or may not ever find out how far it extended, to what degree Trump was directly involved versus merely complicit with the fact that several members of his campaign's inner circle had extensive ties and contact, but the fact that Mike Flynn got undone in the in just the first month by leaks from an angry intelligence community strongly suggests that there are more shoes to drop.

I think there will be a connection made between Flynn and Trump. Trump is the president so it's likely he gave Flynn the go ahead to negotiate with the Russians, and that should be impeachable, I hope. In any event, the Trump administration is a horrible joke gone terribly wrong.

Anybody hear anything about a FISA warrant?

Even if there was one, it brings into question all kinds of things under the umbrella of dirty tricks. Barack Hussein is a Chicago politician after all.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dogboy View Post
    I think there will be a connection made between Flynn and Trump. Trump is the president so it's likely he gave Flynn the go ahead to negotiate with the Russians, and that should be impeachable, I hope. In any event, the Trump administration is a horrible joke gone terribly wrong.
    This alleged incident occurred before the inauguration.
    Last edited by Maxx; 15-Feb-2017 at 12:26.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxx View Post
    This alleged incident occurred before the inauguration.
    It's an aside but I'm actually curious about the nuances here. The relevant text of the Constitution reads:

The President, Vice President and all civil Officers of the United States, shall be removed from Office on Impeachment for, and Conviction of, Treason, Bribery, or other high Crimes and Misdemeanors.
    Most people don't realize it but "high crimes and misdemeanors" doesn't mean for any given felony or misdemeanor. When the Constitution was written "high crimes and misdemeanors" was essentially an idiomatic phrase that meant crimes, large or small, that a public official commits in an official capacity. If we took interpret the phrase literally, then public intoxication could be grounds for removal of the President from office. But could we interpret it to be inclusive of actions the President took while still President-elect? On the one hand, President-elect is an informal title rather than an office. On the other hand, doesn't the President-elect receive federal funding to support the transition team? If so, I can see an argument that the President-elect is acting in an official capacity and an interpretation that these actions are an extension of the Office of the President.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Maxx View Post
    Anybody hear anything about a FISA warrant?
    Aren't proceedings of the FISA court not conducted in the public domain?

Quote Originally Posted by AEsahaettr View Post
    Aren't proceedings of the FISA court not conducted in the public domain?
    One would think not.... therefore how did the alleged conversations end up there.

Similar to sealed contents of divorce proceedings of BHO's senate opponent in 2004.

A very piscine aroma to all of this.

It's fairly obvious this administration has a hard on for putin and his united Russia thugs. Much like Marine Le Pen in France. The 4 connected officials now getting canned for Russian connections is troubling. Considering that Russia is the bad guy. I mean didn't they legalize domestic abuse, and discrimination against LGBTQ? This is a weak administration who will get on their knees and lick putin's boots. Trumps reluctance to even show his tax returns is the very tip of this iceberg. And it's going to get worse before it gets better. Someone who praises Vladimir putin shouldn't be POTUS. Violating the Logan act like that is bad. And honestly I'm starting to wonder if trumps campaign had any conversations about undermining the election, because at this point, it's not even far fetched to wonder. He seems very reluctant to say anything negative about them, which gives fuel to the rumors of trump and his associates being blackmailed by the Russians and essentially in their pockets. Ugh.

Quote Originally Posted by Hotdog55 View Post
    It's fairly obvious this administration has a hard on for putin and his united Russia thugs. Much like Marine Le Pen in France. The 4 connected officials now getting canned for Russian connections is troubling. Considering that Russia is the bad guy. I mean didn't they legalize domestic abuse, and discrimination against LGBTQ? This is a weak administration who will get on their knees and lick putin's boots. Trumps reluctance to even show his tax returns is the very tip of this iceberg. And it's going to get worse before it gets better. Someone who praises Vladimir putin shouldn't be POTUS. Violating the Logan act like that is bad. And honestly I'm starting to wonder if trumps campaign had any conversations about undermining the election, because at this point, it's not even far fetched to wonder. He seems very reluctant to say anything negative about them, which gives fuel to the rumors of trump and his associates being blackmailed by the Russians and essentially in their pockets. Ugh.
    It's obvious only if you're allowing yourself to fall for the leftist media narrative. BHO put himself in a much more incriminating position in 2012, but the media gave it only passing notice. "Tell Vlad I'll have more flexibility after the election"

If the conversations actually took place, Flynn should have known better, even though what he is purported to have said is more or less harmless and was assumed by everyone at the time. BHO sanctions on Russia were nonsense, done out of spite and political gamesmanship, not that different from his record number of pardons. You, me and everyone else on the planet assumed that they would be reviewed as soon as Trump took office. At the same time, none of the new administration have political backgrounds, so they're not pussyfooting around in the way we're all accustomed to seeing. Trump ran on draining the swamp. The media and political establishment are desperately trying to take him down with their usual games. They did the same thing all through election season.

Russia is a traditional opponent, and we need to be wary of them. They are also a major world power, so we need to deal with them as well. Same thing with China. I don't see the Donald or his cabinet taking either lightly, or going on apology tours like his predecessor. Obama is back in his comfort zone now. Throwing stones at the Man, with no accountability. He was never more than a community organizer, thrown way out of his depth by one speech.

You don't see trump going lightly on Russia? OH MAXX. You're joking. He's been bowing down to them since he started his campaign. Praising putin left and right.

Trump must be doing a great job draining the swamp filling it with Goldman Sachs execs and Jeff Sessions. I needed a good laugh tonight. I appreciate it.

The whole mainstream media is a lie doesn't work for me either. You can say you don't agree with a sources angle but everntually you have to realize what they are putting out is true, it all boils down to the angle in which they present it. It's blatantly obvious that Flynn violated the Logan act. And you can deny the rumors of collusion with Russia all you want, but those rumors will persist. I'm not going to be defending that pile of corruption at the kremlin. Ever.

The west wing is filled with bad people, like Jeff Sessions and Steve Bannon. Not even mentioning pence and his bitterly homophobic stances. Trump won't even take questions from legitimate news sources lately. He's a coward. When you start undermining free press, you turn into a totalitarian state. This is scary.