Thread: Mister T meets Mister T.

Default Mister T meets Mister T.

I'm pretty sure this is getting more media coverage in Canada than the US, but our Prime Minister, Justin Trudeau is meeting with Donald Trump in Washington today.

I wouldn't call these two leaders polar opposites but they are certainly different in terms of their perspectives and temperament. Trudeau had a genuine 'bromance' with Obama, so Trump's election victory was a setback for Trudeau's government.

Trudeau is a self proclaimed feminist and half his cabinet is comprised of women, while Trump was owner of the Miss Universe pageant and has gloated about grabbing women. Trudeau has campaigned on implementing a carbon tax while Trump is a climate change denier.. Most significantly is the difference in their perception and treatment of refugees. Under Trudeau's government, Canada accepted 25,000 refugees last year and has continued setting extraordinary targets in 2017.

In spite of calls from many Canadians for Trudeau to denounce Trump's travel ban, it's not likely the issue will be raised by our Prime Minister. First of all, this is simply a 'getting to know each other' meeting' and Canadians are well known for being polite. Secondly, there is too much at stake with Trump's promise to 'rip up' the NAFTA agreement with Canada and Mexico.

Rather than risk Trump's volatility on social issues, I think the Canadian team will be focussing on maintaining a strong relationship and showing Trump that trade with Canada has greatly benefitted the US. Canada is the number one trading partner for 35 US states; Canada and the US exchange $2 billion in trade each day and $750 billion each year. It's estimated nine million Americans rely on trade with Canada for their jobs.

The majority of Canadians think Trump is a racist misogynist with a short attention span. I tend to agree but I don't it will benefit either country to put those perspectives on the table. Today's meeting should focus on the benefits of trade with Canada and the US. NAFTA can be renegotiated to the benefit of both countries. The smart strategy would be to focus on finding common ground, such as increasing jobs for the middle class and creating conditions to stimulate the economy.

As much as Trudeau may be tempted to yank Trump's chain, it is hardly advisable to do so when you have a temperamental, volatile pit bull on the other end who will be your neighbour for the next four years.

Hoping to hear from anyone in the US about how this meeting is being perceived or even noticed.

Believe me, anything even remotely Trump-related spreads all over the US media.

I honestly have no idea what to expect, but hope it goes better than Trump's meeting with Mexico or Australia.

As a US citizen... from the day Trump got elected, I've hardly been following the news at all. It will just upset me, and I REALLY don't need that right now. I'm sufficiently stressed out as it is and can barely even eat anything. So I'm employing the "ostrich algorithm" and completely ignoring the problems Trump is creating. He probably just needs to be impeached, but for that to happen, he'll have to break the law much more thoroughly than he already has.

One thing I've learned from my work-place is that laws don't really matter as much as they seem to. My former supervisor harassed me over a medical condition, and quite badly, So I filed an EEO case and several witnesses gave sworn testimony. The investigator concurred that what was happening is illegal. And guess what? Nobody cares. So, you can just ignore the law and do whatever the hell you want, apparently. What's the point of making laws anyway if nobody cares when you break them?

I'm in the UK (and not closely following the Trump spectacle). But, I'll be interested to see what Trump thinks of NAFTA. He's said that he wants to rip up trade agreements, have everything made in America, with massive taxes on imports, etc...

I don't know about NAFTA specifically, but getting rid of mutually-beneficial deals isn't going to be good for the economy and prosperity of the US. Is he really going to cut off his nose to spite his face, or does he have some kind of plan when it comes to international trade and relations...?

Over here in the UK, 1.8 million people signed a petition to cancel Trump's state visit.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017...ancelled-gets/

The Speaker of the House of Commons announced that he would refuse to invite Trump to speak at Westminster because of parliament’s long held opposition “to racism and to sexism”.
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics...l-says-speaker

And some of Labour's most senior female MPs have vowed to boycott Trump's speech (should it happen). Harriet Harman said, "I could not be there clapping a man who is a self-confessed groper. His views on many issues are unacceptable. And on foreign policy he seems to think he can just bully other countries and get his way. That we should sit there smiling and clapping is... well for me it is out of the question."

[And] an Opinium/Observer poll found British voters have formed overwhelmingly negative views of Trump. Asked which word they most associated with the US president, the top three selected were “dangerous” (50%), “unstable” (39%) and “bigot” (35%). Only 3% said they believed he was “trustworthy”, 4% “reassuring” and 7% “competent”. Some 44% of British voters said they expected his presidency to be “awful”, while 64% judge him to be a threat to “international stability” and 56% say he is untrustworthy.
    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...speech-boycott

I feel like I'm living in some kind of surreal "reality TV" programme every time I read the news. :-)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sapphyre View Post
    As a US citizen... from the day Trump got elected, I've hardly been following the news at all. It will just upset me, and I REALLY don't need that right now. I'm sufficiently stressed out as it is and can barely even eat anything. So I'm employing the "ostrich algorithm" and completely ignoring the problems Trump is creating. He probably just needs to be impeached, but for that to happen, he'll have to break the law much more thoroughly than he already has.
    Oh, I went for about three years without watching/reading/listening to the news. It's a very strange form of entertainment.

It did wonders for my mental health, but there's something darkly compelling about "news" that makes you seek it out, even though you know it will have absolutely no beneficial effect on your life. :-/

MarchinBunny

Well, I am certainly interested to see how it all plays out. But not enough to want to really try and keep tabs on it constantly. I tend to just talk about these sort of things with my ex's sister, her and I pretty much have very similar views to myself and she will eventually bring it up.

Having lived in Canada for some time now, I noticed most Canadians have similar views to myself.

I saw it on the news but I'm not sure what will come out of the meeting. I'm hoping Trudeau got Trump stoned on marijuana so he'll move to make it legal in the U. S. I'm going to need a lot of weed to get through the next four years.

Quote Originally Posted by tiny View Post
    I'm in the UK (and not closely following the Trump spectacle). But, I'll be interested to see what Trump thinks of NAFTA. He's said that he wants to rip up trade agreements, have everything made in America, with massive taxes on imports, etc...

I don't know about NAFTA specifically, but getting rid of mutually-beneficial deals isn't going to be good for the economy and prosperity of the US. Is he really going to cut off his nose to spite his face, or does he have some kind of plan when it comes to international trade and relations...?

Over here in the UK, 1.8 million people signed a petition to cancel Trump's state visit.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017...ancelled-gets/

The Speaker of the House of Commons announced that he would refuse to invite Trump to speak at Westminster because of parliament’s long held opposition “to racism and to sexism”.
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics...l-says-speaker

And some of Labour's most senior female MPs have vowed to boycott Trump's speech (should it happen). Harriet Harman said, "I could not be there clapping a man who is a self-confessed groper. His views on many issues are unacceptable. And on foreign policy he seems to think he can just bully other countries and get his way. That we should sit there smiling and clapping is... well for me it is out of the question."

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...speech-boycott

I feel like I'm living in some kind of surreal "reality TV" programme every time I read the news. :-)

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, I went for about three years without watching/reading/listening to the news. It's a very strange form of entertainment.

It did wonders for my mental health, but there's something darkly compelling about "news" that makes you seek it out, even though you know it will have absolutely no beneficial effect on your life. :-/
    From Canada's perspective, yesterday's meeting could not have gone any better. Trump has modified his position from threatening to tear up NAFTA to saying it's working great but needs some 'tweaking.'

The credit goes to Trudeau and his team for their preparation in advance of this meeting. Prior to Trump's inauguration, Trudeau made a major shakeup in his cabinet to appoint Chrystia Freeland as Minister of Foreign affairs who has had extensive expertise and experience on trade in the US where she has developed many contacts. Immediately afterwards, Freeland and our Minister of Finance began working proactively with Trump's team, spending a significant amount of time in Washington in the weeks leading up to meeting, discussing trade with Trump's team and Paul Ryan, highlighting the economic benefits for both countries. I think the approach was smart, by working with staff and experts who would understand how ripping up a trade agreement with your largest business partner would just cause serious damage to both countries.

I heard about the UK's petition against Trump and I thought it was great. I don't think Canada will come up with a similar action unfortunately, firstly because we're too polite, and secondly, Trump takes things personally and if he were to retaliate in kind, Canada's economy is too intricately linked to the US to risk his wrath. It would cause more harm to Canada than the US. Yesterday's meeting was crucial to ensure we maintain strong,, cordial relations with the US. That's the reality from a political perspective. From the perspective of the general population, we still think he's a psychotic madman!
    Last edited by Starrunner; 14-Feb-2017 at 15:57.

Quote Originally Posted by Starrunner View Post
    Prior to Trump's inauguration, Trudeau made a major shakeup in his cabinet to appoint Chrystia Freeland as Minister of Foreign affairs who has had extensive expertise and experience on trade in the US where she has developed many contacts. Immediately afterwards, Freeland and our Minister of Finance began working proactively with Trump's team, spending a significant amount of time in Washington in the weeks leading up to meeting, discussing trade with Trump's team and Paul Ryan, highlighting the economic benefits for both countries. I think the approach was smart, by working with staff and experts who would understand how ripping up a trade agreement with your largest business partner would just cause serious damage to both countries.
    As much as I love Stéphane Dion thank god he isn't foreign minister anymore. He's sort of the exact type of person Trump would dismiss out of hand.

There are a lot of things Trudeau has done recently that I don't care for, but his foreign policy shakeups during the Obama-Trump transition seem to have been very good moves.