Thread: Grammies

Default Grammies

For the most part, I found it a fun and entertaining show.

I was afraid it was going to be full of anti-Trump rants, but that stayed mostly in the background as far as I could tell. One of the rap things looked like it might have been some sort of protest, but I couldn't understand a word they were saying, so it didn't matter.

21 Pilots in their underwear.... we all know there's only one way that could have been better.

Really too bad about Hetfield's mic issue. Gaga + Metallica was a brilliant idea. Fun.

The Time... cool. Saw them at Milwaukee's Summerfest a while back. Bruno Mars, entertaining as always.

The Beyoncé thing seemed more than a little self-indulgent, but Mrs. Maxx liked it, so I guess I'm overruled. She is cute though. No, I didn't have a problem with the quasi-nudity. Very artsy, not at all sleazy.

Caveat: I bailed and went to bed when the bearded school-administrator type in a tux started in on some sort of diversity lecture, so I guess I missed the last 20 minutes or so. You can tell me if anything important or cool happened after that. I'm sure it's on youtube by now anyway.

I actually thought Bruno Mars was very good, especially in his Prince tribute. I may need to look into more of his music.

Adele owned the show with a strong opening 'Hello.' I really liked the slowed down version she did of the George Michael song, even when everything went wrong. She started off in the wrong key, dropped the "F" bomb and asked to start over. You really have to have some star power to do that and then get a standing ovation. I'm glad she won album of the year, not to mention the other awards, but I was surprised Bowie's Blackstar wasn't nominated in that category.

Also, being of a certain age and known to love cheesy music, I really enjoyed the impromptu "Sweet Caroline" performance involving the entire audience singing along.

Quote Originally Posted by Starrunner View Post
    Also, being of a certain age and known to love cheesy music, I really enjoyed the impromptu "Sweet Caroline" performance involving the entire audience singing along.
    That was very much part of the fun. For a lot of the numbers, it seemed like the audience was totally into it. Car pool karaoke is on way past my bedtime, but with youtube, even I know about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hotdog55 View Post
    Maxx this is the hippest you've ever seemed.
    Sorry. I'll be more careful in the future.

Bruno Mars is a musical genius. Wife and I own one of his CDs. Did you notice when they were all singing "Sweet Caroline", Neil Diamond was the only one singing in tune? Tells you something about real talent. Gaga and Adele are also excellent singers: real deals.

Quote Originally Posted by dogboy View Post
    Bruno Mars is a musical genius. Wife and I own one of his CDs. Did you notice when they were all singing "Sweet Caroline", Neil Diamond was the only one singing in tune? Tells you something about real talent. Gaga and Adele are also excellent singers: real deals.
    Can't disagree with that. Of course it's Neil's song, so he HAS had a little more practice.