Thread: The grim reaper loose in Starrunner country...

Default The grim reaper loose in Starrunner country...

Wow. I'm not sure I know what the proper solution is, but I'm pretty sure cutting the guy loose isn't it.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2017/02...l-freedom.html

I've had some experience with schizophrenics. There are a few in Mrs. Maxx's family. Yeah, they're OK medicated, but if they slip, all bets are off.

Almost purged a few weeks ago when it looked like one of them might be living with us after an 'incident'. Fortunately Mrs. Maxx came to her senses and said "Hell no!"

I remember reading about that case during the time it was in the news. It was horrific.

As the article states, the Supreme Court of Canada ruled in 1999 that a review board must order an absolute discharge if a person does not pose a significant threat to public safety.The ruling added there must be clear evidence of a significant risk to the public for the review board to continue imposing the conditions after a person is found not criminally responsible. Baker was found to be "Not Criminally Responsible" (NCR) meaning the crime was a result of his untreated illness, without any intent to fatally harm another person.

The review board said it “is of the opinion that the weight of evidence does not substantiate that Mr. Baker poses a significant threat to the safety of the public.”

At the time of the incident, Baker had been left untreated and was in the middle of a psychotic episode. Baker said he heard the voice of God telling him to kill the man beside him or “die immediately.” He repeatedly stabbed the young man who fought for his life as passengers fled the bus.

Since that time he has worked diligently with his doctors who are confident Baker will remain on his medication and will continue to work with his treatment team. He was in a different reality at the time of the crime and has taken steps to ensure that his reality is the same as everyone else's in the world. He possesses insight into the crime and has demonstrated genuine remorse. He continues to be monitored by pharmacy staff who stop by his apartment to watch him take his medication, a practice he has agreed to continue. He is also on a list for post secondary education.

While it might appear baffling that the review board would grant Baker total freedom considering the magnitude of the crime, it is Baker’s right. This is not to say it is an unfettered demand. The board has to consider several significant factors prior to issuing a decision. They have to determine what disposition is necessary and appropriate in the circumstances, and they’re required to keep the safety of the public as paramount priority. They look at the need to protect the public, the mental condition of the accused, and the prospects for reintegration and other needs of the accused. Baker has undergone intensive scrutiny by professionals who are familiar with his history. In addition, the recidivism rate for NCR individuals is very low.

It's also important to note that in this particular case, Baker had actually sought mental health treatment at the clinics and hospitals before the crime occurred, but fell between the cracks in the system.
    Last edited by Starrunner; 11-Feb-2017 at 16:52.

I don't doubt the law was followed, but I'd be more than a little nervous if he was coming to live with me. Note that in the article his mom was saying "hell no" to his unconditional release. I have to wonder if he's on her doorstep as we speak.

My recent situation wasn't nearly as serious, but it was a case of the schizophrenic's mother (Mrs. Maxx's sister) trying to pawn him off on us. I'd have gone along with it in the name of "helping a brother out", but I didn't like the idea, and foresaw bad things coming from it. Can't go into more details, but there were a lot of possible consequences for us even if he stayed on his meds.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxx View Post
    I don't doubt the law was followed, but I'd be more than a little nervous if he was coming to live with me. Note that in the article his mom was saying "hell no" to his unconditional release. I have to wonder if he's on her doorstep as we speak.

My recent situation wasn't nearly as serious, but it was a case of the schizophrenic's mother (Mrs. Maxx's sister) trying to pawn him off on us.
    You're mistaken. It was McLean's mother opposing the unconditional discharge, not Baker's.

I don't think anyone is blind to the crime that occurred, but the fact is that Baker sought treatment before the crime occurred and didn't receive it. In my office, I work twice as hard at helping people with mental health issues stay housed because there just aren't enough health services available. And most of them do want those services. We need to invest in more mental health services so we can keep people out of prison so that we are not paying the greater costs associated with incarceration and mothers mourning the loss of their sons.

Quote Originally Posted by Starrunner View Post
    You're mistaken. It was McLean's mother opposing the unconditional discharge, not Baker's.
    Ah! my bad. The point remains, though. I don't know where he belongs, but I'm pretty sure I don't want him living at my house. You have way more faith in the guy 100% staying on his meds than I do.

Unsupervised... good luck with that.

Supervised... then I've got law enforcement radar on me and my address. That's not a great option either.

That's interesting. I haven't met too many schizophrenics before, but I do know that the VAST majority of them never become violent. For the most part, their issue only harms themselves. I will add though that the art some of them produce is downright fascinating: Example. Also, schizophrenia is probably what befell Syd Barrett, if you know who that is. Also also, my close friend has a schizophrenic cousin, and he doesn't take his medication regularly but isn't violent anyway, just ridiculously paranoid. He decided I was a "spy from the CIA" and just wouldn't talk to me at all. Go figure.