Thread: High Hopes

Default High Hopes

So this has come up in a number of private conversations here, and, it seems to me to be a bit relevant to the overall theme of ADISC since it's about childhood...

And it's also my favorite song EVER and has been for more than 20 years now. So I thought I'd share it more generally. Here it is: Pink Floyd - High Hopes (official).

Does anyone else find it as meaningful as I do?

"Steps taken forwards, but sleepwalking back again... dragged by the force of some inner tide..."

I do apologize if I'm just over-sharing with this, but this song is so near & dear to my heart that it can still move me to tears. I loved it the very first time I heard it, and 20+ years later, it's still my very favorite. And since Pink Floyd has put out the official music video for free... and it's about childhood and its end and looking back on it... I just had to share. Here you have a little piece of Sapphyre's soul, for better or worse.

Thanks for sharing. A person's favourite music is a real peek into someone's soul, as you say. I love Pink Floyd, especially Goodbye Blue Sky and Learning to Fly.

Two songs that can still move me to tears are Beggar in the Morning by The Barr Brothers and Black Muddy River (Grateful Dead Cover) by Bruce Hornsby and DeYarmond Edison.

Both songs address mortality and the importance of living an earnest life... Really powerful stuff for me.

I wouldn't say they totally altered my world view or anything, but High Hopes and Time are probably on the top of my list of more personally meaningful Pink Floyd songs.

Quote Originally Posted by WillWheatThins View Post
    Thanks for sharing. A person's favourite music is a real peek into someone's soul, as you say. I love Pink Floyd, especially Goodbye Blue Sky and Learning to Fly.

Two songs that can still move me to tears are Beggar in the Morning by The Barr Brothers and Black Muddy River (Grateful Dead Cover) by Bruce Hornsby and DeYarmond Edison.

Both songs address mortality and the importance of living an earnest life... Really powerful stuff for me.
    "Learning To Fly" is an awesome song! The official music video for that is free from Pink Floyd too: Learning To Fly. Pink Floyd is kind of cool that way... they're all multi-millionaires by now and don't need the money. Things like the DVD of the P*U*L*S*E concert are the ONLY officially-released DVD's I've ever come across with a Region Code of 0, so they can just be played anywhere. I'll need to check out the songs you linked, I've not heard either before, but I'm a bit pre-occupied at the moment...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by BoundCoder View Post
    I wouldn't say they totally altered my world view or anything, but High Hopes and Time are probably on the top of my list of more personally meaningful Pink Floyd songs.
    The Division Bell did in fact change my worldview and became very, very important to me as a teen. And has remained so. o.o;;

I would absolutely say Division Bell is probably my favorite Pink Floyd album, and I think one of their most underrated.

I also think the Pulse album and the associated video they released of their Earls Court performance represents the best rendition of most of the featured songs.

Thank you for sharing, I have always admired Pink Floyd. I can very much understand how they can move you. There have been a few songs over the years that have a profound impact on my life and I isten to often. Two that can bring tears like your example is Dire Straits - Romeo and Juliet and Paul Simon - You Can Call Me Al. I cannot really put my finger on exactly why these two songs really pull my heart strings, they just sing to to me!

Thinking about songs that have changed my outlook on life is very difficult. Can one song really change your entire outlook, but I have dug deep and feel Dio - Rainbow in the Dark certainly gave me a new perspective I did not have before after I had heard it. It was actually one of the songs from an amazing album Holy Diver that started me on a journey to turning my life around.
    Last edited by MotherFaith; 12-Feb-2017 at 18:25.

Quote Originally Posted by BoundCoder View Post
    I would absolutely say Division Bell is probably my favorite Pink Floyd album, and I think one of their most underrated.

I also think the Pulse album and the associated video they released of their Earls Court performance represents the best rendition of most of the featured songs.
    I absolutely agree. The Division Bell is by far my favorite album too. BTW, have you ever heard of the Publius Enigma connected with that album? It's something I followed for YEARS and it's pretty fascinating. One of the clever things Pink Floyd did was release TWO different versions of the CD art, in different regions. And then enticed people to discuss it in order to solve the Enigma... and left it to them to work out, through communicating, that they were seeing two different things. You can see both versions in detail here: Division Bell artwork comparison. Of course I have both versions. The Enigma can get deep pretty quickly, and many things in the CD artwork are rather subtle and clever. Such as, the woman hidden in the art for "What Do You Want From Me". But I could get into this in quite a bit more depth... heh.

← puzzle fanatic

And this one seems very meaningful despite being rather massive.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MotherFaith View Post
    Thank you for sharing, I have always admired Pink Floyd. I can very much understand how they can move you. There have been a few songs over the years that have a profound impact on my life and I isten to often. Two that can bring tears like your example is Dire Straits - Romeo and Juliet and Paul Simon - You Can Call Me Al. I cannot really put my finger on exactly why these two songs really pull my heart strings, they just sing to to me!

Thinking about songs that have changed my outlook on life is very difficult. Can one song really change your entire outlook, but I have dug deep and feel Dio - Rainbow in the Dark certainly gave me a new perspective I did not have before after I had heard it. It was actually one of the songs from an amazing album Holy Diver that started me on a journey to turning my life around.
    The Division Bell really changed me for the better too. One of the songs that seems rather central to the whole theme of the album, and is very meaningful to me, is "Keep Talking." I won't post a link because Pink Floyd hasn't chosen to release that one publicly... but you can find it on Youtube easily enough. The spoken parts are actually from Stephen Hawking.

"It doesn't have to be like this... all we need to do... is make sure we keep talking." It's quite beautiful.

EDIT: Oh, and and! I think my favorite song from Simon & Garfunkel is "Bridge Over Troubled Water." I just love that one.

FURTHER EDIT: Another not-publicly-released track that is very under-rated from The Division Bell is "Lost For Words."

..."Can you see your days blighted by darkness? Is it true you beat your fists on the floor? Stuck in a world of isolation, while the ivy grows over the door..." It's powerful stuff, for me anyway.