Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: This is unfair :/

Default This is unfair :/

I got rejected from 20 jobs today, I applied for over 20 mcdonalds stores in my area, (all the way upto port adelaide)

Guess what I get rejected, but get this, one of my mates who I used to be mates with is a meth addict (well I would of said crack but he uses meth more obviously as he is poor) guess what he gets an interview for the job and gets the job in the area I got rejected in.

I also got rejected from a ton of no experience jobs, such as a bakery, aldi etc.

All I can say is WTF, this is so unfair, so there willing to hire someone who does meth and hasn't held a job longer than a couple weeks, but won't hire me what is the world coming too.

The economy is so screwed, I have no hope honestly.

Hello Binary (changed to not identify me) got this 20 times in my inbox.

Thank you very much for your online application for a crew position with Macca’s.

Unfortunately, on this occasion, your application has not been successful.

Thanks again for your interest in McDonald’s and we wish you all the very best with your future endeavours.

Kind Regards
    Recruitment Administrator

THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN AUTOMATICALLY GENERATED. PLEASE DO NOT REPLY TO THIS EMAIL.

Hi Binary,

We'd like to say thank you for applying for the Customer First Champion - Virtue Sales and Retention - Adelaide role with us.

We understand you've put a lot of effort into completing your application and we thank you for that.

We receive a high volume of applications and we've given your application close consideration, but unfortunately this time you've been unsuccessful.

It's fast paced here at Telstra, our organisation is constantly evolving and this means there's always exciting job opportunities popping up. You can keep in touch by registering for our Job Alert, where you'll get email notifications on new job posts that suit you. And if you see a role that interests you, please feel free to apply.You can also follow us on social media for regular updates on careers news and advice.

Retracted
    Recruitment Team
    Telstra

MarchinBunny

You just have to keep applying. Doesn't matter how many times, just keep doing it. I would say at least apply once a month to each place. Sadly the issue is, if they are not hiring or they choose a different applicant, there isn't much you can do about it, but the more you apply the more your application is going to stick out and the more likely you will be picked.

Trust me when I say, I know how hard it is. I have gotten rejected so many times for jobs, it's sort of just part of the process.

Also, I would advise you to stop comparing yourself to others who do happen to get hired. Don't worry about what they do, only worry about what you are doing. If you think it's unfair and you know this person isn't going to last, keep apply for that job. That is all you can do.

Quote Originally Posted by MarchinBunny View Post
    You just have to keep applying. Doesn't matter how many times, just keep doing it. I would say at least apply once a month to each place. Sadly the issue is, if they are not hiring or they choose a different applicant, there isn't much you can do about it, but the more you apply the more your application is going to stick out and the more likely you will be picked.

Trust me when I say, I know how hard it is. I have gotten rejected so many times for jobs, it's sort of just part of the process.

Also, I would advise you to stop comparing yourself to others who do happen to get hired. Don't worry about what they do, only worry about what you are doing. If you think it's unfair and you know this person isn't going to last, keep apply for that job. That is all you can do.
    Yeah I should stop letting things get to my head, causes so much issues later on :P

You're actually a bit lucky to even get a reply. I've applied to lots of jobs recently (since I hate mine) and just get nothing. I never hear back at all.

Story of my life. My last application didn't even get a reply either, I realise they probably have a lot of people to sort through but not even bothering to reply is just pathetic.

Quote Originally Posted by Milko View Post
    Story of my life. My last application didn't even get a reply either, I realise they probably have a lot of people to sort through but not even bothering to reply is just pathetic.
    Yep. Like Metallica said, "It's not who you are, it's who you know." I definitely believe that by now.

I'm coming up on 300 applications in the past 3 years. Only 2 interviews which didn't go further than the first meeting.

McDonalds has rejected me quite a few times. Walmart too (Applied to most positions) and many other low-income jobs. I've tried for jobs in my field of study.

I know the feeling.

Online applications must be one of the toughest ways to apply for a job. Everything is based on a short resume without knowing anything about the person. And no doubt employers are going through them quickly and not giving them much more than a quick glance. The resume really needs to stand out, and I would also suggest submitting it with a good cover letter telling them why you are the best person for the job, relating all your skills, attributes, and motivation to what is required of the position. The resume doesn't get you the job, but you should look at it as a marketing tool you need to get your foot in the door.

Keep the resume short and focus it on your best work, otherwise it gets watered down with the more mediocre content. Longer resumes do not make a good impression since employers go through them quickly and will likely miss the key points you really want to them to consider. You also want to highlight your accomplishments throughout the years. A resume should not simply look like a summary job description, but rather, it should show what you did with the job to create a better and more effective workplace. It's also a good idea to look at the advertisement for the job and tailor your resume specifically to it.

Considering the number of resumes an employer will be looking at, a good cover letter is also essential. This should indicate how you found out about the position, why you want it, and how it fits in with your experience or values. If the company has a website, refer to it in the cover letter and relate it to your work experience. Refer to the advertisement and what the employer is looking for. You can give examples of your past experience in a cover letter that are directly related to the qualifications listed in the advertisement. It helps show the employer that you already have what they're looking for. Even if it's something like Mcdonald's, you can come up with something ss motivation. Use specifics and give examples of past work experience that demonstrate skills and abilities that are transferable to the position sought. List any projects where you were a major contributor.

Formatting is also important. An attractive, easy-to-read resume will receive more attention than a cluttered, poorly laid out one. Keep it short, usually one to two pages max, and use features that will draw an employer's attention to the key points you want highlighted (bullets, spacing, bold type for headings, etc).

The other thing that's really important to remember is that many employers will check you out on the internet before considering you for an interview. This means they will be checking out your Facebook page, Twitter, YouTube, Pinterest, Google, or any professional circle where your name may show up. You want to ensure your online persona matches your resume statements. Social media plays a big part in hiring practices.

http://www.financialsamurai.com/exam...-good-resumes/

There are a number of online jobsites where you can be looking for work and you can post your resume on them for free as well. They usually send out job alerts for whatever field you're interested in. Have you registered on any of those?

https://www.careercloud.com/news/201...your-resume-on

Also, Sapphyre is correct in her observation that employers frequently hire someone known to them. If we have a vacant position in our office, we'll ask around the office and see if anyone knows of a well qualified individual prior to engaging in a lengthy search that may not yield the desired results. Let everyone know you're looking. A boss may hire someone based on an employees recommendation.

Also, keep your eyes open for any 'job fairs' where recruiters are looking for potential employees. These are opportunities to meet and make a good impression as well as network with influential people.

https://www.nationalcareerfairs.com/career-fairs/

Aside from that, hey my sympathies to you. We're all human and it always feel like we're being personally rejected. It's not the case, it's just the economy and the number of people looking for work. You're a bright, talented individual. It's only a matter of time before someone recognizes that.
    Last edited by Starrunner; 09-Feb-2017 at 03:21.

did you go into these places or contact them by phone after applying? I noticed you had said that these places all replied to your inbox, rather then saying anyone on the phone or in person told you these things.

http://www.adisc.org/forum/showthrea...66#post1419666

cant stress this first paragraph enough----^

If you are not taking measures to physically speak with someone, or over the phone do an interview, I am 90% sure your wasting your time.

Also, from my own past history with jobs, if its any consolation, the serious drug users don't tend to stay employed in their jobs for too long. too unwilling to come in everyday, or perform with clear minds.

You may look into graveyard or overnight shifts in your area, here in the U.S. there is almost always a vacancy for these jobs. At one point in my life I worked for two years on overnights for walmart.
    Last edited by MommyandMattling; 08-Feb-2017 at 16:12.

As everyone has said, physically go in there in person and ask about jobs. Cold applying to most jobs online, especially min wage type jobs that get swamped in applications is very unlikely to succeed.

I agree with Starrunner's advice in general, however for most min wage/high turnover type jobs they mainly just want to know that:

- You're going to show up on time.
    - You'll be capable of doing the job.
    - You're not be a pain in the ass to deal with.
    - There's nothing about your legal status that is going to cause them a bunch of grief.

So I'd focus on that as much as possible. Showing up in person demonstrates that you can at least physically get to the location, and gives them an opportunity to gauge the rest to some degree, whereas with an online application they have much less to go on. It's also a lot quicker and easier to click the "reject" button on an HR management system then to tell someone no in person.

Also be sure to show up clean and well dressed, be respectful and polite, don't lie, etc.