Status
Not open for further replies.

PaciPilot

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Little
I'm getting desperate here. I have 3M tape with adhesion promoter stuck to my Mustang. Its been there for 3 years and counting. I've tried everything I can think of to remove it: including 3M adhesive removal.

I need ideas hardcore... I'm out of options without having the top half of the car wet sanded and or repainted.

I wonder if heat would help, like from a paint stripping heat gun? I'd go lightly in the beginning because it also might damage the paint on your car. My feeling is that if the tape has been on this long, it's probably already damaged the paint or the clear coat. I wonder if you pull the tape off, if it will pull the clear coat with it? Even if it did, you might be able to repair it by spray painting some clear coat where the tape was.

WD-40 is good at disolving tape/glue residues, i use that to remove any stickiness/dried up glue off my car each year after i take my xmas lights off it.
The gaffer tape residue bakes to the car paint after a month in the aussie summer sun and wd40 does it nicely.
Petrol worked faster, a proper auto paint job should be able to take it without damage (just think how often we spill petrol on the paintwork when filling up) but test in a small spot first
Also eucalyptus oil or Dettol is good for taking sticker marks off book covers without damaging them, test them on a little area of car paint first though.
Otherwise a "caramel wheel" is what a proffessional paint/body shop will use to remove old baked on decals from paintwork safely

*edit*
Also there are "bug and tar" removers to clean up paintwork as well :)

dogboy said:
I wonder if heat would help, like from a paint stripping heat gun? I'd go lightly in the beginning because it also might damage the paint on your car. My feeling is that if the tape has been on this long, it's probably already damaged the paint or the clear coat. I wonder if you pull the tape off, if it will pull the clear coat with it? Even if it did, you might be able to repair it by spray painting some clear coat where the tape was.

starpup said:
WD-40 is good at disolving tape/glue residues, i use that to remove any stickiness/dried up glue off my car each year after i take my xmas lights off it.
The gaffer tape residue bakes to the car paint after a month in the aussie summer sun and wd40 does it nicely.
Petrol worked faster, a proper auto paint job should be able to take it without damage (just think how often we spill petrol on the paintwork when filling up) but test in a small spot first
Also eucalyptus oil or Dettol is good for taking sticker marks off book covers without damaging them, test them on a little area of car paint first though.
Otherwise a "caramel wheel" is what a proffessional paint/body shop will use to remove old baked on decals from paintwork safely

*edit*
Also there are "bug and tar" removers to clean up paintwork as well :)

Just looked up that caramel wheel. Appears to be EXACTLY what I need. Living on a farm, I have plenty of drills. Thank you SO much for making me aware of this! I know what I'm doing tomorrow!

I was just passing on virtually the same info on the toyotaholics facebook group page and saw them refered to as "eraser wheels" wheels albeit slightly different in design they are basically the same thing :)

Methylated spirit and a lint free rag. My take some time to lift if it's been there for a long time.

I use detachol it's made to dissolve any glue or adhesive known to man , I started using it because it removes surgical skin adhesive that I used to maintain and reinforce my insulin pump sites.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Wd40 and a really sharp, flat razor blade. Spray around the adhesive and on the blade. Hold the blade FLAT against you car. This is important or you will scratch it. GENTLY work the blade back and forth and periodically spray the area again.

Very slowly the adhesive will come off. This takes a lot of time and effort but it works every time, even on some epoxies.

Next, take a very fine sanding cloth with water and gently buff the area clean and smooth. Clean the area with rubbing alcohol, and let it dry. Lastly, spray some clear coat over the area. You won't know the adhesive was ever there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back