Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Conficker

Default Conficker

So this huge virus, which is supposed to be released in a few hours, has been generating a lot of buzz lately. I was just curious as to what it actually does and if anyone has been unfortunate enough to have had experience with it. As far as I know, I'm safe from it because I have a Mac (not to sound like a fanboy), or does it affect Macs too?

It is supposed to come out on April 1st, so perhaps it's just some hacker's April fools joke. Anyway, thoughts on this?

Here's the link to the Yahoo! article.

Since you brought up Macs, I have to say a joke thing about them...Macs are safe, because no one bothers making viruses for Macs...Ba dun tsh...

Anyways, I just heard about the virus...On Runescape...And I hadn't heard about it before then. Maybe it's just some April Fools thing...Or maybe they want us to think it's an April Fools joke :O

Quote Originally Posted by Pojo View Post
    Since you brought up Macs, I have to say a joke thing about them...Macs are safe, because no one bothers making viruses for Macs...Ba dun tsh...
    Haha, it's true....

The date makes me think that it's just some people showing what they could do if they wanted to. but either way it won't effect me(i use Linux) and i should effect anybody who takes appropriate precautions.

Go to Microsoft Corporation

If you can't connect to that site you're probably infected with conficker, change all your passwords from a secure computer and download the fix from Microsoft's website on that computer, then use it on the infected computer, problem solved.

Until you get the fix though, unplug your computer from the internet.

Computer Worms - Conficker| Microsoft Security you can get the fix here.

Fun fact: Conficker is a portmanteau of "Configuration Fucker"

Quote Originally Posted by Kams View Post
    So this huge virus, which is supposed to be released in a few hours, has been generating a lot of buzz lately. I was just curious as to what it actually does and if anyone has been unfortunate enough to have had experience with it. As far as I know, I'm safe from it because I have a Mac (not to sound like a fanboy), or does it affect Macs too?

It is supposed to come out on April 1st, so perhaps it's just some hacker's April fools joke. Anyway, thoughts on this?

Here's the link to the Yahoo! article.
    Wikipedia has a reasonable write-up on this.

I suspect this is the first shot of a "next-generation" collaborative effort between teams of dedicated attackers. It really sounds like a book I read many moons ago, Young & Yung's Malicious Cryptography. I suspect that there will be more PKI-enabled worms as time goes on, and extortion cannot be far behind (ala the book).

Quote Originally Posted by h3g3l View Post
    Wikipedia has a reasonable write-up on this.

I suspect this is the first shot of a "next-generation" collaborative effort between teams of dedicated attackers. It really sounds like a book I read many moons ago, Young & Yung's Malicious Cryptography. I suspect that there will be more PKI-enabled worms as time goes on, and extortion cannot be far behind (ala the book).

Speaking of extortion; some people have already given idea of a black market Google, where you can look up credit card numbers, etc for individual computers.

Though, one interesting thing I've heard is that it's a hoax, and that the antivirus companies are using Conficker to make profit. Unlikely, but it's one of the more plausible conspiracies out there.

I only just heard about this today because one of my friends was worried about it. I watched a video about this, supposedly on April 1st(tomorrow) The virus activates and connects all of the computers infected by it, sounds kind of like a hoax to me...

If they do end up doing something with this virus we have some major pranksters on our hands...

Quote Originally Posted by Fallen View Post
    Go to Microsoft Corporation

If you can't connect to that site you're probably infected with conficker [...]
    So, I connected to the site...does that mean I'm safe?

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsukuni View Post
    So, I connected to the site...does that mean I'm safe?
    It means you probably don't have it. It doesn't mean your safe from getting it though. However, as long as you make sure to update your antivirus and windows update then it should be fairly unlikely you'll get it.