Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Things schools don't teach.

Default Things schools don't teach.

I made a thread a while back about how the school system a while back, but this thread is a bit different.

I'm gonna make a small list of things that I learned myself and that schools obviously don't teach (might be different in different parts of the world)

1. How to pay bills, that's right I was never taught any of that in high school, obviously most of it is common sense, but it would of helped if I was taught AT school, to prepare me for life.

2. How to apply for government documents, such as driver licences and passports, that's right THEY don't usually teach this shit at school.

3. "Life hacks" I'm surprised at how many people don't know how to wire up a broken phone socket, I can wire up a phone socket while drunk, you've got four wires, though only two are used in modern day phones, while the other two are for power (mostly older analog phones) How to wire up audio cables, and power cables (yes I've done that before myself quite easy).

4. Critical Thinking skills, I'm not sure if it's just my school, but they never taught you how to research information properly, and I assume the same goes with the previous generations of people, worse is they will pass you based on faulty research. Someone I know who wrote a report on why vaccines cause autism got an A for crying out loud. 90% of the people I grew up with in secondary school can't tell the difference between fact and fiction, or better yet how to tell if information is bias or not, either there stupid or they weren't taught.

5. How to modify an Ethernet cable, and better yet modify a straight over to become a cross over, though pointless It's handy in IT when you can't be fucked going out and buying a cross over.

6. How to change and adult diaper, eh well maybe that one didn't need to be taught

I think that's it xD.

MarchinBunny

Quote Originally Posted by Binary View Post
    1. How to pay bills, that's right I was never taught any of that in high school, obviously most of it is common sense, but it would of helped if I was taught AT school, to prepare me for life.
    I don't think the issue is how to pay bills. What needs to be taught is how to manage money properly in order to pay bills and such. How to budget I guess is what I would consider an important life skill. Then just teach how to pay bills during the lesson.

2. How to apply for government documents, such as driver licences and passports, that's right THEY don't usually teach this shit at school.
    Yes, I agree.

3. "Life hacks" I'm surprised at how many people don't know how to wire up a broken phone socket, I can wire up a phone socket while drunk, you've got four wires, though only two are used in modern day phones, while the other two are for power (mostly older analog phones) How to wire up audio cables, and power cables (yes I've done that before myself quite easy).
    This one I am a bit iffy on. I don't think it's actually all that important. XD

4. Critical Thinking skills, I'm not sure if it's just my school, but they never taught you how to research information properly, and I assume the same goes with the previous generations of people, worse is they will pass you based on faulty research. Someone I know who wrote a report on why vaccines cause autism got an A for crying out loud. 90% of the people I grew up with in secondary school can't tell the difference between fact and fiction, or better yet how to tell if information is bias or not, either there stupid or they weren't taught.
    This, I don't think is simply due to a lack of education. Some people just do not understand the difference. I have come across quite a lot of people who consider their opinions as facts or vice versa, they cosndier certain facts as opinions.

5. How to modify an Ethernet cable, and better yet modify a straight over to become a cross over, though pointless It's handy in IT when you can't be fucked going out and buying a cross over.
    Again, another one I am not too certain really needs to be taught. I suppose terminating your own cat3 and cat5 cables are useful if that is the sort of work or projects you do. For a typical person though, it's easier to just go to a store.

6. How to change and adult diaper, eh well maybe that one didn't need to be taught
    XD ... That would be a quite unusual class lesson. I can't imagine it.

Now here's an interesting question no-one has been able to answer for me yet...

Why are ALL Ethernet cables not cross-overs? It's simple enough for hubs and switches to include an internal cross-over as well, and that means no matter how things are connected, there are always an odd number of crossings... so it works out. TX ends up connected to RX, every time.

PaddedPuppy

Paying bills, managing money, filling out paperwork for government applications and such were all taught at my UK school. One other thing we were taught that surprised others was making a CV (resume), filling out job application forms and even had management from a local supermarket come out and give us all mock interviews.

School generally teaches you things you don't really ever need to use in life again. The perfect example of that was math class. Aside from the 4 basic operations, and a little bit of fractions and percentages, I have never had to use anything else I have ever been taught. All that wasted time on bullshit like the Pythagoras theorem, and algebra!

A lot of things you don't get taught are things the government see as either common sense, or things your parents should have really taught you. But I think that puts way too much faith in parenting given some of the horror stories I have seen in the news. Through my entire time at school, I only had 6 cookery classes for example. There should have been more things like that taught at school. Things like how to sew and repair clothes with a few stitches. I know things like that are classed as 'girly' by some, but neither male nor female students were taught it in the UK and its one of them basic things that everyone could benefit from.

Oh, and for changing an adult diaper, maybe not. But how to change a baby is probably worth teaching, given the absolutely insane amount of teen pregnancies there were in my school!

MarchinBunny

Quote Originally Posted by Sapphyre View Post
    Now here's an interesting question no-one has been able to answer for me yet...

Why are ALL Ethernet cables not cross-overs? It's simple enough for hubs and switches to include an internal cross-over as well, and that means no matter how things are connected, there are always an odd number of crossings... so it works out. TX ends up connected to RX, every time.
    There are many switches/hubs these days that do include such functionality. But not all of them do and I think that is the issue. Also, you don't need a cross-over cable anymore if you do it internally in the hub or switch. So, you don't have to make all ethernet cables cross-over.

Quote Originally Posted by MarchinBunny View Post
    There are many switches/hubs these days that do include such functionality. But not all of them do and I think that is the issue. Also, you don't need a cross-over cable anymore if you do it internally in the hub or switch. So, you don't have to make all ethernet cables cross-over.
    Sure you don't NEED one... but why not make it the standard? That resolves the need for two different kinds of cables in the first place.

MarchinBunny

Sure you don't NEED one... but why not make it the standard? That resolves the need for two different kinds of cables in the first place.
    No, the fact the switch detects the type you need is what resolves the need for two. At that point, it doesn't matter which cable you use.

Edit:
    Oh wait, I think I misunderstood what you were originally asking. Basically, why wasn't the internal cross-over to begin with? That ... I really have no idea. *shrugs* I don't really know why they do half the things they do when making connecters and such. I assume there had to be a reason for it though.

No, the fact the switch detects the type you need is what resolves the need for two. At that point, it doesn't matter which cable you use.

Edit:
    Oh wait, I think I misunderstood what you were originally asking. Basically, why wasn't the internal cross-over to begin with? That ... I really have no idea. *shrugs* I don't really know why they do half the things they do when making connecters and such. I assume there had to be a reason for it though.
    That's it, yes. ^^ Making every cable a cross-over means you can connect two PC's together with or without a hub or switch in the middle. There are always an odd number of crossings, no matter how you do it.

MarchinBunny

That's it, yes. ^^ Making every cable a cross-over means you can connect two PC's together with or without a hub or switch in the middle. There are always an odd number of crossings, no matter how you do it.
    Yep, I know, I have used quite a few of them in my time in my Telecom class. XD
    Maybe they did it so programs installed on a computer can more easily differentiate the device it's connected to? o.o

Yep, I know, I have used quite a few of them in my time in my Telecom class. XD
    Maybe they did it so programs installed on a computer can more easily differentiate the device it's connected to? o.o
    Programs don't need to differentiate the device based on whether or not they can communicate with it. If TX goes to TX, there is simply no connection. o.o;

I still wonder about this, because to me it makes very little sense.