Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love My Diaper

  1. #1

    Question How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love My Diaper

    So I've been dealing with incontinence for quite some time (much more on that here: http://www.adisc.org/forum/showthrea...%A6-to-diapers) first by wearing pads and later pull-ups. After some encouragement from the incontinence forum, I decided to try wearing diapers during the day two months ago I started with a case of Abena M3, and when those ran out I started wearing plastic-backed Attends with waistband, the kind with three tapes. These are the only two I've tried, but so far I am in love with the Attends! The Abena were a little too bulky beneath my existing wardrobe (which is already a size up to accommodate a full pull-up without bulging) but the Attends are the perfect balance between absorbency and discretion. And I'm not sure if I could go back to just two tapes on either side… I'm very particular about getting a good fit when I change (although I'm quickly caring less and less lol) and the fit with six tapes is incredible. The Abena were noticeable at all times, but the Attends are almost… comfortable? I'm used to the feeling of a soggy pull-up, but I sometimes forget I'm wearing wearing a diaper. And the waistbands really do their job, I like that there's not a gap between the wasitband and my lower back like there sometimes was with the Abena if I didn't tape them perfect.

    But reading on the forums, it seems like Attends are kind of a mid-grade diaper? So now I'm wondering what I might be missing out on! My insurance covers Attends (and Abena), but probably not most of the specialty ab/dl diapers that get such great reviews here. If the Attends are the best I can find I'll still be happy… but any suggestions for other brands I might try? I'd like something thicker (less frequent changes) to wear at home where bulk isn't an issue, and (I know this seems backwards to diaper lovers) but also less crinkly. I was horrified by the noise of the Attends until I realized the sound isn't very noticeable at all, in 90% of my typical daytime environment, especially under pants with a shirt tucked in. But it does get kind of annoying when I'm by myself at home. Also wouldn't mind something thinner to use during tennis, biking etc. I can use pull-ups, but I'd rather have something thin (but absorbent) with a fitted waistband that won't slide down.

  2. #2

    Default

    Diapers are really personal, and we end up liking what we like. Make no mistake, Attends are low-end diapers. There's nothing wrong with that if they get the job done for you. If they still existed, I'd have suggested plastic backed Depends Protection with Tabs. They were quite similar to Attends with Waistband and also had three tapes but I found them less likely to clump up and easier to wear overall.

    I was looking for a thinner diaper for daytime wear while I'm 24/7 and I hoped Attends with Waistband could be a substitute for the departed Depends but they just didn't quite measure up for me, despite a few things I liked (nice plastic shell was a standout). You might have a look at Northshore Care Supreme Lites or Tranquility ATNs. Both are higher capacity and just generally better than Attends with Waistband in terms of features but you won't really know how you feel about them until you try them. You might also consider Total Dry Plus. They're great for discretion but I can't recommend their capacity or lack of SAP.

    For my discreet daily wear, I think I've settled on ABU's Plastic Preschool diapers. They're really a little more than I need but they're discreet enough and they'll hold more than the other diapers I was comfortable wearing to work. Unfortunately, the low end of diapers isn't very well served.

  3. #3

    Default

    If you can get abenas… get them!

    - - - Updated - - -



    Quote Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
    I'd have suggested plastic backed Depends Protection with Tabs. They were quite similar to Attends with Waistband and also had three tapes but I found them less likely to clump up and easier to wear overall.
    Depends with tabs haven’t been at their peak in like 10 years having gotten rid of things like padding, elastisity and finally plastic, 3 tapes and waistband

  4. #4

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by rennecfox View Post
    If you can get abenas… get them!

    - - - Updated - - -



    Depends with tabs haven’t been at their peak in like 10 years having gotten rid of things like padding, elastisity and finally plastic, 3 tapes and waistband
    They were good enough for what I needed. Improvement rather than degredation would have been preferred but they still met my needs. My answer was particularly to the OP. They've tried Abena, and despite them being better diapers, that's not what they want. If Attends with Waistband are someone's idea of a good diaper, the ones I suggested are relevant.

  5. #5

    Default

    This is a classic problem. Thin and absorbent simply do not go together. Northshore supreme starts off really thin, but does swell up when really wet. Other than that, confidry 24/7 is about the best out there so long as you're not too worried about them being thick.

    Just remember, a thick diaper that has done its job is WAY less noticeable than a thin one that has leaked.

  6. #6

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
    They were good enough for what I needed. Improvement rather than degredation would have been preferred but they still met my needs. My answer was particularly to the OP. They've tried Abena, and despite them being better diapers, that's not what they want. If Attends with Waistband are someone's idea of a good diaper, the ones I suggested are relevant.
    If its an issue of insurance and there paying for this and its attends or abenas (he might not be able to get preschools), he needs something he can get off which was why in the other thread I recomended he go with the non waistband variant (which doesn't really do much to sacrifice much absorbency, that said neither an attends with or without waistband would I trust for more then maybe 3 hours without something else in it.

  7. #7

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by rennecfox View Post
    If its an issue of insurance and there paying for this and its attends or abenas (he might not be able to get preschools), he needs something he can get off which was why in the other thread I recomended he go with the non waistband variant (which doesn't really do much to sacrifice much absorbency, that said neither an attends with or without waistband would I trust for more then maybe 3 hours without something else in it.
    The recommendation was to try Northshore Care Supreme Lites or Tranquility ATNs, and it was because Abena 3s were too much to be comfortable and/or discreet. I do generally recommend ABU Plastic Preschools (or even the clothbacked ones if you swing that way) but it didn't sound like they were great in this case. I just tossed it in there as an aside.

    I think Slomo is probably right about the thicker diaper being better but not everyone wants to dive into the deep end right off and depending on how they are used, the thin ones can serve a purpose.

  8. #8

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
    The recommendation was to try Northshore Care Supreme Lites or Tranquility ATNs, and it was because Abena 3s were too much to be comfortable and/or discreet. I do generally recommend ABU Plastic Preschools (or even the clothbacked ones if you swing that way) but it didn't sound like they were great in this case. I just tossed it in there as an aside.

    I think Slomo is probably right about the thicker diaper being better but not everyone wants to dive into the deep end right off and depending on how they are used, the thin ones can serve a purpose.
    Those two are good choices if he can get them through his insurance


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Similar Threads

  1. How Can i stop being Diaper shy?
    By Angelic in forum Adult Babies & Littles
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 16-Apr-2016, 04:42
  2. spread the love kill the hate stop suicide
    By flyinbaby in forum Mature Topics
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 27-Jun-2015, 07:32
  3. Replies: 234
    Last Post: 09-Mar-2009, 22:47
  4. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 28-Jun-2008, 16:28

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
ADISC.org - the Adult Baby / Diaper Lover / Incontinence Support Community.
ADISC.org is designed to be viewed in Firefox, with a resolution of at least 1280 x 1024.