Thread: So I need help

Default So I need help

A month or two ago, I made a post stating that there were some psychological things that made me afraid that I might have psychopathic tendencies. People advised me to see a psychiatrist/psychologist about the stuff I mentioned. I can't drive and where I live there's no public transportation, so the only way I would be able to do this would be through my parents.

I have been seeing a psychiatrist for most of my life (and by that I mean since I was like 7 or 8). First of all, I'm not sure how to get an appointment with him. I don't have his phone number so my parents would have to make it, and they'd ask why I wanted one in the first place. Also, I don't really know how to bring up the topic with him. I guess I'm just afraid he wouldn't take me seriously since he's known me so long. Anyone have any ideas?

Edit:

The link to my original post: http://www.adisc.org/forum/showthrea...-is-it-with-me

Where is the post? o.o;

And... why exactly would your psychiatrist take you less seriously due to knowing you so long? If he doesn't take you seriously, in my book at least, he's toast and it's time to find the next one. Through your parents or otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by demonic2786 View Post
    A month or two ago, I made a post stating that there were some psychological things that made me afraid that I might have psychopathic tendencies. People advised me to see a psychiatrist/psychologist about the stuff I mentioned. I can't drive and where I live there's no public transportation, so the only way I would be able to do this would be through my parents.

I have been seeing a psychiatrist for most of my life (and by that I mean since I was like 7 or 8). First of all, I'm not sure how to get an appointment with him. I don't have his phone number so my parents would have to make it, and they'd ask why I wanted one in the first place. Also, I don't really know how to bring up the topic with him. I guess I'm just afraid he wouldn't take me seriously since he's known me so long. Anyone have any ideas?

Edit:

The link to my original post: http://www.adisc.org/forum/showthrea...-is-it-with-me
    I do remember that thread. I'm glad you're thinking about getting some help. It's a major decision and hopefully the rest will just be in the details. It shouldn't be a problem getting the psychiatrist's number. A google search should bring up the contact information. I'm also wondering why you feel the psychiatrist wouldn't take this seriously after knowing you for so long. Has there been a previous experience where you didn't get a helpful response or is it because you've never discussed a problem like this before?

If transportation is a problem and it means getting your parents help, would they not want to assist you? I'm assuming they must have known you were previously seeing a psychiatrist if they helped with transportation. You may be able to divulge to them that you are struggling with some current issues and you would like to seek some professional help again. You are their son. They will want to help because they want what's best for you. Why not talk to them and work on a resolution together? It can help give you some more support so that you are not going through it alone. You don't have to tell them everything, just leave the door open enough for them to help out.

As for bringing up the subject with your psychiatrist, there is no rule on how and when you should bring up the things that are troubling you the most. It takes time, patience and trust before you can discuss your deepest problems. You need time to build up a rapport and feel comfortable with the psychiatrist. You will know when you are ready.

I do hope you'll follow through on this. It takes a lot of courage to get help and it is a sign of strength that you are willing to do it. There are some details that need to be worked out here, but none that are insurmountable. Every road has a few bumps along the way but once you're over them, the healing can begin. Don't be afraid of the journey.
    Last edited by Starrunner; 28-Jan-2017 at 02:42.

Quote Originally Posted by Starrunner View Post
    I'm also wondering why you feel the psychiatrist wouldn't take this seriously after knowing you for so long. Has there been a previous experience where you didn't get a helpful response or is it because you've never discussed a problem like this before?
    It's mainly because i've never discussed a problem like this before.

Well, you opened up to us a little and I know it took some effort... but you did it. It's positive that you have a psychiatrist who knows you from a young age so that any problem you discuss can be placed in an historical context. At least you're not having to start from scratch. Again, take your time with it, do as much as you can without it causing you stress, and open up when you feel ready. The role of a good psychiatrist is to always be aware that these things are difficult to discuss, and to create a space where you can feel safe and comfortable to talk freely.

I can't improve on Starrunner's suggestion other than to reiterate that it's probably time to get your parents involved. I know that probably isn't easy but if you are this troubled, then you need to seek professional health. It sounds like your parents are the only way to facilitate that.

Don't let this be a barrier. I know it can feel scary right now but like I said, it takes time before you can open up about these things. When you reach the stage of getting counselling, I'm fairly certain there are a number of members here who have been through counselling and will be glad to offer some suggestions about what worked best for them. You are not alone in this. We're here to support you.