Day and Night Incontinence during Hospital Stay

Status
Not open for further replies.

damgedveteran

Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
I am going to be admitted to a Veterans Affairs residential rehabilitation for Ptsd I have a neurologic bladder and require pull-ups during the day and tape up diapers at night. The VA issued my prescription for diapers but my issue is that more then likely I am going to have a roommate any advise will be appreciated.

Don't make a big deal out of it, people in hospitals need incontinence products all the time and if you will be able to change yourself they won't even be looking at what you are wearing. If they bring it up, just mention you are incontinent.

Last edited:
As the poster above stated don't make a big deal out of it. I was in psychiatric wards 7 times recently and I require tape on diapers. Other patients noticed I'm sure but never made mention of it (loos pajama pants and t-shirts make for almost guaranteed exposure). My visitors I know for sure noticed since the rooms didn't have any drawers so the diapers were just out on the shelf.

It's possible you could request in advance to be put in a room with someone who is ok with you being diapered. The nurses would then handle the awkward conversation with your room mate- before- you're already there and its too late to switch rooms.

yeah I mean I'd just roll with it. It took me a long time to get used to people seeing my diaper but I change at the gym now after my shower. It's pretty impossible to hide at that point but I'm not going to stop going to the gym over a junk bladder. Everyday a bunch of dudes in a locker room see me putting a diaper on. I don't care anymore, it's my underwear.

It's a hospital, I'm confident most people will be understanding, you should just focus on getting better without stressing about what your room mate might possibly think. Unless he annoys you about it it should be alright.

Just act normal. This shouldn't be anything weird. Especially in a VA. Even a roommate should be very understanding. You're brothers, even now. Try and talk if it seems to be an issue. Keep us updated.

I just sent a personal message to you about my RRTP stay just last month. I am a fellow veteran and will help out as much as I can.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Thank you,

I tried to reply but i am a newbie and they won't let me. Hooah I appreciated the message

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you, As a veteran i know i will adapt it is just the unknown that kills me Thanks for taking the time to reply :)

- - - Updated - - -

What do you recommend me wearing at home I wear the army version of Umbro shirts and a regular t the good thing about the pt shorts is that they crinkle on there own.

- - - Updated - - -

Very true. the incontinence is part of my trauma so i guess i am going to be forced to work on my issues.

I'm at a VA hospital right now and I'm wearing 24/7. If anyone has noticed they don't say anything. I definitely crinkle, especially at night when I'm wearing just sweatpants but ambient noise covers it a lot and I lazily scuff my feet with slippers or sandals on to make cover-up noise. I did tell my roommate because it is nearly impossible to hide in a small quiet room, he was fine with it and said he won't tell anyone. In my experience at the VA, when you're around other vets, the brotherhood/love that exists is to the extent where you can share nearly anything of an embarrassing nature and have no worries. Some plastic pants over your diaper will muffle the sound a bit too. Make sure they give you something you're comfortable with, don't settle for the run of the mill hospital garbage. Talk to the nurse or pharmacist that gets them for you, they can call the person in charge of ordering and get you better products. Took them 3 days to get ATNs shipped in for me.

Last edited:
Thank you for the kind words

Thank you for the encouraging words, it is making me feel much better. I am also nervous when you are being admitted and they check your bags. please advise. Also thank you for your service and sacrifice

There is nothing to worry about when they check your begs. Your not the first one in diapers nor will you be the last. As long as they are still sealed then that's fine. They don't tend to like non sealed packs due to trying to hide things. As far as cloths just wear your normal clothes. I wouldn't do anything that is AB related (if you are one). Just like others have said you are going to be with your brothers and sisters in arms and we all are more accepting then most others I know esp about medical issues. I'll send ya my email address in a private message so you can message me there also if you want.

Crinklebuttt said:
I'm at a VA hospital right now and I'm wearing 24/7. If anyone has noticed they don't say anything. I definitely crinkle, especially at night when I'm wearing just sweatpants but ambient noise covers it a lot and I lazily scuff my feet with slippers or sandals on to make mover cover-up noise. I did tell my roommate because it is nearly impossible to hide in a small quiet room, he was fine with it and said he won't tell anyone. In my experience at the VA, when you're around other vets, the brotherhood/love that exists is to the extent where you can share nearly anything of an embarrassing nature and have no worries.

Just curious, what diapers did they give you? I've always found the kendall wings or other similar diapers (and cloth like disposables) are just not worth it. I always bring my own supply now, but have heard the VA actually prescribe decent diapers now. Is that true?

Yes you have to ask for them through the pharmacy but I am now getting Molicare Slip Maxi. I am trying to see if I can get the ConfiDry 24/7 but still working on it.

I am going to ask about getting dry24/7 next time I go to pick up my ATNs at the pharmacy. But they may have ordered me a lot of ATNs because the prescription is for 36 of them, with 11 refills on the script. I guess they would use the ATNs for another patient eventually and that next person would appreciate the quality. I walk around a lot and the ATNs clump up after a while so I would really love it if 24/7s are an option.
On a side note the VA doesn't provide plastic pants, so you'll have to get them yourself. They will however provide chux if leaks are a problem at bedtime.

How do you get your doctor to get you off the standard va cheap diapers I am not yet service connected as they are reviewing my claim as we speak i did get a positive diagnosis for neurogenic bladder and TBI and essential tremmors i do have 50% for PTSD and 10% for diaper rash/exzema please advise

Well, I got my military doctor to prescribe me confidry (I'm a disabled retiree). I just told him I've tried the other brands, and they are not made absorbent enough for full blown urge incontinence type flooding. Diapers like atn, abena, and molicare are very prone to leaking on me long before reaching any kind of capacity because there simply isn't enough padding to absorb and distribute the pee before it will leak. He was understanding and asked me which ones do work. Hence confidry. Too bad my tricare insurance denied them.

I had to talk to the pharmacy tech that does the orders because the dr can only see what's on their system and most of the good diapers are considered special orders so that's why I would say talk to the pharmacy technician about it and be open and honest about things.

Yeah talk to the pharmacy tech, if they can't help you they will know who can order them and will contact that person for you. Just give them the facts: hospital diapers suck and what you want does not (fit, comfort, reliability, absorbance, odor control, etc.). Don't settle for products you know won't work for you, their job is to provide you with what you're confident with. All the doctor has to do is have the order in the system for fitted briefs, from there just talk to the pharmacy tech and they will set you up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back