Thread: stupid people / governments.

Default stupid people / governments.

I just had to get this off my chest, some people have the most stupidest opinion's in the world.

I heard rumours that with the major "car company" in this suburb they want to replace it with a uni.

The problem with that is, there aren't enough jobs, and tons of schools, why the fudge replace it with schools, if anything they should use that huge "area" to make it an area for jobs.

I think since "the car company closed down" in this area, economically that is bad. so instead of replacing the car company with for example a major super market, or even a factory, they want to build a uni there.

The major problem with that is, you're only going to create 100 or so jobs, which is fuck all, worst off, is what about the people without qualifications, where the hell are they going to work?

I should add this is a bad area where you can barely get jobs now, because the major car manufacture closed its doors this year, it's very hard to even get a job.

I had someone tell me, well if you put schools there, it will create more jobs, how? how will it create more jobs, when you have to move to the CBD, in order to get one.

For this area we need more jobs, not more schools, in the long run your better off with more jobs, because the economy will collapse without as many jobs.

To give you an idea, the car company in this area had 1,250 workers, now if you put a school there, the maximum would be 120 workers, it won't create enough jobs at all.

Sorry if this makes no sense, I'm a bit drunk, and I'll rewrite it when I'm not as drunk :P

What I'm saying is, what the government originally suggested will not provide enough jobs for this area, while turning it into a factory will make a lot of jobs, currently we have a job shortage in this area.

So the factory before it closed down had about 2000 jobs, what they want to do now is replace it with a uni from what I've heard, which will only create 200 jobs... considering unemployment is at an all time low in this area, that is a very stupid thing to do.

Sure education can provide "more jobs", but what's the point if you have to move all the way to the city to get one in the first place, why not build more factories in the area so people are able to get a job and live here, plus there are too many schools in this area, we need jobs not schools so to speak.

That being said, I once had a teacher who joked around saying, well hurry up and get out of school and get a job before "the car company closes down" or you'll find it hard to ever get a job.

He turned out to be right, obviously he told us why, and the area might end up as a ghost town.
    Last edited by LittleJess; 23-Jan-2017 at 02:58.

I guess I'm confusing what a "uni" is in Australia as compared to the U. S.. My daughter is a department head/director at a university and has been for several years. The universities in the U. S. hire thousands and thousands of people. Some are professors, but many more are all the people who run the university, from maintenance and security, to administration which is the area my daughter is employed in. As for salaries, she makes $100,000. a year. Of course she has her doctorate as do most of the employees. But it's a big operation.

Many universities in the U. S. have between 20,000 and 30,000 students, so you can imagine how many employees it takes to make that all happen.

Like I said, this is in the U. S. So what will the uni be like that they are proposing to build and how many will it employ?

Quote Originally Posted by dogboy View Post
    I guess I'm confusing what a "uni" is in Australia as compared to the U. S.. My daughter is a department head/director at a university and has been for several years. The universities in the U. S. hire thousands and thousands of people. Some are professors, but many more are all the people who run the university, from maintenance and security, to administration which is the area my daughter is employed in. As for salaries, she makes $100,000. a year. Of course she has her doctorate as do most of the employees. But it's a big operation.

Many universities in the U. S. have between 20,000 and 30,000 students, so you can imagine how many employees it takes to make that all happen.

Like I said, this is in the U. S. So what will the uni be like that they are proposing to build and how many will it employ?
    Sorry, I mean just an average high school / college. in aus, most high schools have 1000+ people with 100 staff.

Quote Originally Posted by Binary View Post
    Sorry, I mean just an average high school / college. in aus, most high schools have 1000+ people with 100 staff.
    Ah...I get it now. I'm always amazed at how much I don't know, especially with other cultures. Yeah, if that's the case, you're losing reasonably good paying jobs. I'm afraid it's the world we're living in. The U. S. has lost a lot of its manufacturing jobs. Labor is cheaper in other countries and in car factories, a lot of human labor has been replaced by robotics. What hits me is the short sighted of big business. Sooner or later, there won't be enough of working people left to buy the crap the factories are making. Then what happens?

Governments are starting to consider giving every citizen a certain amount of money, sort of like a welfare check. In this theory, everyone would receive from the government, $15,000 a year to have a bare minimum to live on. Anything they made on their own they could keep and still get the minimum of $15,000. I suppose the government would tax big businesses to make up the income.

Quote Originally Posted by dogboy View Post
    Ah...I get it now. I'm always amazed at how much I don't know, especially with other cultures. Yeah, if that's the case, you're losing reasonably good paying jobs. I'm afraid it's the world we're living in. The U. S. has lost a lot of its manufacturing jobs. Labor is cheaper in other countries and in car factories, a lot of human labor has been replaced by robotics. What hits me is the short sighted of big business. Sooner or later, there won't be enough of working people left to buy the crap the factories are making. Then what happens?

Governments are starting to consider giving every citizen a certain amount of money, sort of like a welfare check. In this theory, everyone would receive from the government, $15,000 a year to have a bare minimum to live on. Anything they made on their own they could keep and still get the minimum of $15,000. I suppose the government would tax big businesses to make up the income.
    Don't forget that eventually every major company will replace people with robots, (obviously some jobs won't be, like programmers, and stuff)

Quote Originally Posted by Binary View Post
    Don't forget that eventually every major company will replace people with robots, (obviously some jobs won't be, like programmers, and stuff)
    Yeah, the big jobs are for programmers and engineers who design the robots. There are good jobs out there but they take a sharp mind, and and expensive education. I don't envy young adults who are trying to enter the job market. It was a lot easier for my generation as there were so many more jobs available and they didn't demand a Masters of Doctorate degree.

Jobs demand an advanced degree because, with grade inflation, we have "dumbed" down the Bachelors degree and the advances in technology require more time to understand the growing body of information. Don't even get me started as to the level of education demonstrated by a high school diploma.

As I was writing this, I started to wonder why none of the P.C. crowd has protested calling the 4 year college degree by a completely masculine word. Maybe I missed the demonstrations.