Expectation vs Experience

Status
Not open for further replies.

StayneLion

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Diaperfur
After a bit of reading on the forums here I've learned quite a lot already. I have a question for those that came back to diapers later in life by choice.

You had made the decision to try diapers again, I'm sure you had a build up of what it would be like in your head.

Did it live up to the hype and excitement when you first tried them on? Was there something you expected to happen that didn't, and did it work out?

I can see that there is a significant amount of trial and error involved. If things fell kinda flat, what kept you trying?

If you could go back to that first-time, what would tell yourself to do (or not do)?

Thanks for any input :D I really look forward to reading replies :3

A lot of that depends on what your first "real diaper" is. If you get started with a junk thin store brand diaper, then sometimes you have to wait for a "good experience". But most people have an "OMG this is awesome why did I wait so long to do this?!" experience when they get their hands on good padding.

I can't recall reading anyone here reporting they were disappointed or let down in any way with their first experience with a "real diaper".

First experience was amazing. I didn't really have expectations, just felt a need/desire. I immediately felt happier, more confident, relaxed. It was like I'd been struggling with such negative feelings and suddenly they were gone and I felt positive and energised.

That's kinda what I'm hoping for ^^;; I know it won't just magically fix all my problems as soon as I tape up, but I am imagining just become so much more relaxed and not as... Tied up in knots internally... if that makes any kind of sense? If nothing else I'm hoping for a great way to relax and just destress.

I had to start wearing nappies when I became incontinent and very soon realised I enjoyed being in them. Very soon became unashamedly DL as a result and now couldn't be happier. I love the fact I am dependant on nappies and feel no shame at all about wearing them.

StayneLion said:
That's kinda what I'm hoping for ^^;; I know it won't just magically fix all my problems as soon as I tape up, but I am imagining just become so much more relaxed and not as... Tied up in knots internally... if that makes any kind of sense? If nothing else I'm hoping for a great way to relax and just destress.

It does make perfect sense. Let us know how you get on.

mrogers said:
It does make perfect sense. Let us know how you get on.

For sure :D The samples I ordered on the 31st shoooould hopefully be here by the 10th. Thankfully I won't have to worry about people snooping as my roommate won't go poking around. I expect I'll only wear to bed, and not around the apartment. I walk around in my underwear all the time and he's accustomed to that, buuuut I think the diapers would be too much to handle XD

My experience was much lower than my expectations. This was greatly in part to depends cheapening up their diapers, but also because as a kid I didn't use the really old 80's green depends for 24/7 full blown urge incontinence. Using their "improved" and lesser capable 2000's diapers for much more heavier use was destined to fail.

Had I know what I do now, I would have told myself to to go to a medical supply store (or online) and get only the best premium diapers I could find. Skip all the normal brands, and absolutely do not go with the in store brands.

Growing up in cloth diapers, my initial purchase from a Sears catalog was disappointing. Both from a functional and appearance perspective the pants and diapers were not at all as I remembered from my childhood. Not to be deterred, I eventually found plastic pants (Comco) and cloth diapers (homemade) that were/are very close to my memories.

Thank you for your input guys, I was seriously considering buying a small pack of something from the drugstore, just to tide me over but I guess I'll be patient and wait for the better ones to come in. Why waste my money on something inferior?

No worse experience than a poorly made diaper. If a diaper is not highly recommended on ADISC I would avoid it at all cost.

Unfortunately, there was no internet when I first needed diapers. It took some work to find diapers that met my needs, let alone expectations.

StayneLion said:
Thank you for your input guys, I was seriously considering buying a small pack of something from the drugstore, just to tide me over but I guess I'll be patient and wait for the better ones to come in. Why waste my money on something inferior?
To be honest, it's probably not a huge waste to spend 10 bucks on a pack of something cheap if for nothing other than to give you an appreciation of what the premium diapers are like. If also gives you some chance to practice taping and get a feel for how it should fit, probably better to do that with a few $.50 diapers than a few $2.00 diapers.

My first experience was with some depends fitted (this was like 10 years ago while they were still plastic with 3 tapes per side). I remember putting one on and feeling a little meh about it. It was great, but not really mindblowingly awesome or anything like I'd have thought after several years of fantasizing about it. Then I tried to wet it and found that I couldn't (combination of excitement and bladder not wanting to release while not using a toilet). I eventually just ended up pouring warm water down the front, which kind of lived up to the expectation.

Then a few months later I had a chance to get some more depends fitted followed by molicare super plus a few days later. The molicare pretty much felt like everything I'd hoped it would be the first time around, and by that time I'd had enough practice with the depends that I could actually enjoy the premium stuff. Then it was a similar experience going from molicare to a thicker premium, and then again trying my first ABU diaper.

Ohhhh okay yeah that is actually a very good idea then ^^ thank you, I've kinda scoped out a few but decided against it at the last moment.

But now that you put it that way, what a great idea. I was kinda thinking about how I've never taped up before and it'll be a bit harrowing my first time. I hate to waste my first few premium ones, so yeah using cheaper ones to begin with sounds like a good idea.

Thank you!

StayneLion said:
After a bit of reading on the forums here I've learned quite a lot already. I have a question for those that came back to diapers later in life by choice.

You had made the decision to try diapers again, I'm sure you had a build up of what it would be like in your head.

Did it live up to the hype and excitement when you first tried them on? Was there something you expected to happen that didn't, and did it work out?

I can see that there is a significant amount of trial and error involved. If things fell kinda flat, what kept you trying?

If you could go back to that first-time, what would tell yourself to do (or not do)?

Thanks for any input :D I really look forward to reading replies :3

Hi, I started by improvising my own diapers with a towel and trash bag, it worked pretty well. Then I wanted to try a real diaper so my first real diaper was back in 200?. I bought a pack of Depend Fitted briefs. They did hold ONE wetting but that was all. Any more than that they would leak. My previous home made towel diaper worked way better.

I then start ordering from xpmedical and other online stores. Their diapers where better.

I'll save you some of my pain. My current go to diaper is Northshore Supreme (plastic backed.) I use one Northshore supreme with one northshore booster and Babykins terry lined plastic pants over that and then a plain with onsie to cover it all up. With loose fitting pants I wear that from the time I get up to the time I get home from work and never had any problems so far. Good luck.

My first time was awesome, though i expected it to be just a little bit more awesome. I expected the diaper to feel fluffier on the inside. I had hyped it for about 3 years though, so my expectations were sky high. I'll have the chance to wear in a couple weeks (first time in 6 months), and i'm getting a bit of that excitement that i had the first time now:)

I remember starting out slowly. My parents had moved because they went bankrupt. I had a psychotic break and eventually came back to reality. That first summer, my mom who worked, didn't want me home alone all day so she got a pool membership where I was supposed to spend part of the day. I realized when I came home that I could wet my bathing suit and then rinse it out in the shower and no one would be the wiser.

Later I moved on to underwear wetting, and it always was a high for me. Every experience was exciting even though I suppose underwear wetting was a simple gesture compared to buying and using diapers. I did feel guilty afterward and wondered why I had these feelings, but they always returned, strong enough that I could never resist the urge. I was around 13 at the time.

dogboy said:
I remember starting out slowly. My parents had moved because they went bankrupt. I had a psychotic break and eventually came back to reality. That first summer, my mom who worked, didn't want me home alone all day so she got a pool membership where I was supposed to spend part of the day. I realized when I came home that I could wet my bathing suit and then rinse it out in the shower and no one would be the wiser.

Later I moved on to underwear wetting, and it always was a high for me. Every experience was exciting even though I suppose underwear wetting was a simple gesture compared to buying and using diapers. I did feel guilty afterward and wondered why I had these feelings, but they always returned, strong enough that I could never resist the urge. I was around 13 at the time.

I had started with wetting my underwear as well, and I also felt super weird afterwards. Reading some of the articles here has been a real eye opener. I never realized the binge purge cycle was a thing, and the feelings of guilt and shame are very powerful indeed. I'm definitely going to take this next stage slowly, as I'm already feeling a downswing coming on ^^;;

Also very glad samples are a thing to try out without investing too much up front.

Last edited:
I started with Depends fitted maximum protection and Tena. They were meh. I found a pack of Attends at a thrift store and was impressed with those. Then I finally went to a medical store and got some Tranquility ATNs which I've been using for about 5yrs. Yesterday I went to the ABU Warehouse for the first time and came home with half a case of pure bliss. I am over the moon with my new abdl diapers.

I would say my first experience went above and beyond my expectations. I was nervous at first, but then excited.

I didn't come by choice. But, I have found dry24/7 disposables as a diaper "liner" under a cloth pull-up with plastic pants prevent leaks and with Nullo deodarant pills work well in keeping smelly accidents private. Also use Desitin (zinc oxide) to prevent rashes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back