Thread: Cold weather pants wetting

Default Cold weather pants wetting

The cold weather has arrived where I live and I'm having my usual problem of pants wetting when I come inside from the cold. When I'm outside I tense up in the cold but as soon as I get back into the warmth I relax and sometimes wet my pants almost automatically. If I've gone any distance I have a pullup on but for short trips I sometimes don't. And I've had it happen in public places as well. I've heard that cold weather increases urine production and wonder if anybody else has the problem of increased bladder urgency in the winter?

I have the same symptoms too. It's cold and snowing then I can't make it to the washroom.
    The body needs to be hydrated for to stay warm.

Quote Originally Posted by mikesecret View Post
    The cold weather has arrived where I live and I'm having my usual problem of pants wetting when I come inside from the cold. When I'm outside I tense up in the cold but as soon as I get back into the warmth I relax and sometimes wet my pants almost automatically. If I've gone any distance I have a pullup on but for short trips I sometimes don't. And I've had it happen in public places as well. I've heard that cold weather increases urine production and wonder if anybody else has the problem of increased bladder urgency in the winter?
    Growing up in Minnesota mother stressed the importance of using the bathroom before going out to play in the winter. As I recall the concern was cold increasing the need as well as the difficulty in removing boots, mittens, snow pants, etc. when desperate for the bathroom. Much like you describe, I vividly recall the day when after rushing home I stood motionless inside the backdoor as the warmth flowed down my legs inside my snow pants. MOM!!!

that would have been beyond awesome to have had a diaper on some of those days years ago out on the hill when I had to stop my sledding and run back to the house, or nip off around the bend to water a tree.

MarchinBunny

Cold weather for sure does this to me as well, but I don't typically wet my pants lol. But it does tend to make me feel the need to go more than I typically would. On average I go about 1 - 2 times per day, three times usually at most unless I'm drinking a lot of caffeine then maybe four times.

While I am out in the cold weather, I may typically need to go about four times without any caffeine at all and more if I'm also drinking caffiene.

I'm outside the majority of the time for my job. I have to watch how much fluid I'm taking in so I don't have to constantly be making my way to the restroom.

"Why do people urinate more in the cold? This phenomenon is known as cold diuresis, diuresis being the production of more dilute urine. The idea is that when it's cold, your body tries to conserve heat by constricting the blood vessels in the skin. That means that less heat is lost to the environment. However, if you constrict the blood vessels to the skin, it means that relatively more blood accumulates in the interior of the body and that tends to raise blood pressure.
    In response to raised blood pressure, the body wants to try to get rid of a little bit of the water in the blood to bring the blood volume, and thus the blood pressure, back down to where it should be."

http://www.thenakedscientists.com/ar...n-cold-weather

Normally, I find drinking warm water makes me want to go to the washroom more often than I would if I drank cold water.