Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spring Wiping.

Default Spring Wiping.

Well It's the time of year that I wipe my hard drives clean with zeros, and call apon the gods of ATA secure erase.

That being said, my hard drives are wiped now, anyone else do the same or am I an odd one?

I don't see a point in wiping my harddrive clean unless I'm selling my rig. I don't want to re-download 200+GB of PC games.

Quote Originally Posted by SnowBlitz View Post
    I don't see a point in wiping my harddrive clean unless I'm selling my rig. I don't want to re-download 200+GB of PC games.
    I do it, just in case, you never know when someone will break in and steal your computer.

I don't get the point of that. I mean I guess you are preventing someone from getting older sensitive data that you no longer need, but if someone steals your drives they're going to get everything from the last time you did the wipe, and for most people the most recent stuff is going to be the most sensitive anyway.

Personally I just use full disk encryption on all my boxes (dm-crypt+luks for linux, GELI/GEOM on my bsd boxes). Someone steals my drives, they're at least not going to get any usable data off them.

Quote Originally Posted by BoundCoder View Post
    I don't get the point of that. I mean I guess you are preventing someone from getting older sensitive data that you no longer need, but if someone steals your drives they're going to get everything from the last time you did the wipe, and for most people the most recent stuff is going to be the most sensitive anyway.

Personally I just use full disk encryption on all my boxes (dm-crypt+luks for linux, GELI/GEOM on my bsd boxes). Someone steals my drives, they're at least not going to get any usable data off them.
    I use FDE as well, I wipe as a precaution, I generally wipe all drives once a year, usually when I do major maintenance on my computer, replace some ram or something.

Reason being is technology changes so fast, and I'm going to have this computer for a while, I don't want my computer stolen in 5 years (and people being able to some how recover the data due to the technology improving) with older drives I wipe them with zeros, grab a hammer and sand the platters.

Quote Originally Posted by Shybug View Post
    I do it, just in case, you never know when someone will break in and steal your computer.

Well, you got me there haha.

I've only wiped drives twice. Once when I caught a virus and wasn't 100% sure I'd gotten rid of it. It seemed (and was) quicker and easier to blow it up and start over than to keep poking around and wondering. I had current backups of all my user files, and disks for OS and all purchased programs so there was no downside to doing it.

The second time, I did it for my B-I-L who was giving his old computer to somebody.

Other than that, when I'm done with an old drive, I rely on physical destruction. Fun, satisfying, cathartic.

I have an external drive that needs to be reformatted because of errors... but I've been delaying that. I think I'll do it today.

AHHHH! It says it'll take over a day to move all the files to another drive!

Ten hours later... 20% backed up.
    Last edited by ShippoFox; 24-Dec-2016 at 04:13.

If the drive has errors.... It is not likely going to be worth reformatting it. For things like my photos I have a 3-2-1 backup procedure, 3 copies, 2 different medics and 1 is offsite. I have 2 hard drives; working and backup. I only plug in backup to copy files to it and then unplug it, my off site is Amazon cloud

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by diapernh View Post
    If the drive has errors.... It is not likely going to be worth reformatting it. For things like my photos I have a 3-2-1 backup procedure, 3 copies, 2 different medics and 1 is offsite. I have 2 hard drives; working and backup. I only plug in backup to copy files to it and then unplug it, my off site is Amazon cloud

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Well, it isn't non-functional. I've heard a reformat can sometimes, not always, "bypass" the errors. But if I'm wrong, then I'm wrong. I'm going to see what happens. If nothing else, I guess it's better than letting my data sit there until the drive stops working.

The problem drive has one current pending sector. The backup is finally done, so I'm going to try a reformat. Full, not quick.
    Last edited by ShippoFox; 24-Dec-2016 at 16:46.