Not open for further replies.

JayPup

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Diaperfur
  3. Incontinent
  4. Carer
Hey everyone, so I just finished my last final of the semester and I felt a bit like writing.

All of the numbers are reflected off the U.S. dollar at current buying power rates. The numbers are not adjusted for future inflation, enjoy!

So today I just wanted to talk a bit about the long-term financial burden placed on incontinent individuals and the financial ramifications that come with purchasing adult diapers.

I started out by doing a bit of research and pricing out different types of diapers. I found five major groupings when it came to diapers.

The first grouping in pricing came from the cheapest of the cheap, both build and quality. I am talking about store brands. CVS, Walgreens, Riteaid, Walmart and other private labels generally sell their bags at pricing points where the cost of each unit ends up around 40¢.
Using this cost per unit I conservatively estimated an average number of changes per day at four. This means that someone using four store brand diapers is spending around:

$1.60 Every Day
$11.20 Every Week
$44.80 Every Month
$537.60 Every Year
$2,688.00 Every Five Years
$5,376.00 Every Ten Years

Please keep in mind that is a very conservative estimate on my part on the number of changes per day. As someone who had utilized store brands during times where better quality products are unavailable I would realistically predict a minimum of six changes a day, but the hell with the logistical aspect.

Now, $537.60 a year seems like a fairly manageable amount of money. After all, that is less than $45 a month, but over that year someone could have purchased a reasonably priced television or laptop. They could have even made a car payment or two, or pay off some debt.

The next major pricing group I discovered were for mass-produced brands such as Tena, or Depend. I count these products to have an average cost per unit of 65¢ This is not accounting for promotions or sales. However, the number does come from comparing multiple brands and products. I still am going to stick with a conservative estimate of around four changes daily. And therefore we can now do some simple number crunching.

$2.60 Every Day
$18.20 Every Week
$72.80 Every Month
$873.60 Every Year
$4,368.00 Every Five Years
$8,736.00 Every Ten Years

A pretty significant change for not even much better quality, or less frequent changes. Not to mention that both of the two pricing points already mentioned are notorious for leaking and overall poor craftsmanship. By switching from a store brand to a name brand we already went up around 62% in price. The long-term financial applications are enormous!

Imagine what it would feel like to receive an extra $873.60 at the end of each year. For many that would be the equivalent of an extra paycheck. The average American could pay a full months mortgage or three car payments with those savings. So now we are really starting to see the economic effects incontinence has on the average individual.

The next major pricing point of 85¢ per unit was found to be better brands, lower end products. For instance, in this pricing point, I found brands such as Tranquility, and many private label brands produced from more premium brands such as Abena, or Molicare. My favorite product in the pricing point is actually on my favorite diapers. The Molicare Super Air Active.
I again used an average of four changes a day, but depending on what is available that number could realistically be anywhere from three to five changes a day. Another thing I considered was the different products that insurance companies often disperse. I again went through and found the average cost by comparing brands and capacity.Doing so I was able to determine the following costs of incontinence.

$3.40 Every Day
$18.20 Every Week
$72.80 Every Month
$1,142.40 Every Year
$5,712.00 Every Five Years
$11,424 Every Ten Years

Again the financial burden is enormous when you are looking at the long-term effects. Imagine putting an extra $1,142.40 into a retirement acount. Assuming you are thirty years old and have nothing save up for retirement the $1,142.40 after thirty-five years at a rate of 6% growth per year you will have over $127,000 over thirty-five years sitting in your retirement account.

The costs of incontinence and diaper usage are really starting to paint a clear picture, but let us go ahead and continue to see what the financial implications would be with better quality brands!

Next, I began finding some more well know brands such as Abena, Molicare, even a few AB specific brands at $1.00 per unit

For these premium brands, I used three changes a day. I feel that number is quite accurate, and over a long timespan, I reel the average would be pretty close to three.

$3.00 Every Day
$21.00 Every Week
$84.00 Every Month
$1,008.00 Every Year
$5,040.00 Every Five Years
$10,080 Every Ten Years

Again we see that the implications are quite large. As with the previous pricing point. Over the course of ten years, you could have purchased a great used car. I purchased a year old Ford Focus with less than 30k miles on it for just at ten thousand dollars this year myself.

Lastly, I considered premium ABDL specific diapers, and while the prices vary from retailer to retailer, along with the numerous products on the market I averaged everything out to only $1.33 per unit and three changes a day. For this, I considered brands that we in the ABDL community often rave about. brands such as the Abena M4, as well as printed brands such as Snuggies. . . oppos I mean Tykables, as well as ABU.
For this final grouping we get the numbers:

$3.99 Every Day
$27.93 Every Week
$111.72 Every Month
$1,340.60 Every Year
$6,302.90 Every Five Years
$13,406.40 Every Ten Years

The true long-term costs of incontinence are astronomical. I simply cannot fathom how someone could financially afford diapers without outside assistance such as insurance, or diaper banks.

The primary reason I went through this research and took the time to write this all out is simple. As a community, we have the first-hand experience in diapers. Many of the ABDL community is in some form incontinent, and for those of us like myself who are not, we still have experience. I hope that by showing the sickening numbers I can help convince others to do a simple task.

If you went through this post, and feel like I helped you understand the burden then I ask you to please consider buying diapers and finding a local diaper bank to donate to. For those of us who have no medical reason to wear diapers, we see this as a comfort blanket or sexual attraction. This is while many others despise their condition. Let us use our knowledge and power of our community to show others that we care. The link to National Diaper Bank registry is below. Just click on your state and see if any banks in your area accept adult diapers!

Thank you all for reading, and I hope you enjoyed and learned a bit about the true cost of incontinence.

http://nationaldiaperbanknetwork.org/what-is-diaper-need/state-information/

Hmm, I'm not sure what to make of this. I mean, the charity is certainly a good cause, though I've recently donated my spare cash to environmental protection and some news agencies that do investigative journalism so I don't have anything to spare at the moment.

The economics aren't surprising, but I'd call what you're doing here unfairly condensing things over time, and the argument presented in this style bothers me. You've simply multiplied out the daily cost, but the same value could be applied to going to the movies once every couple weeks for 10 years, going out to dinner once a week, or anything else. You didn't even compound the interest. But none of this makes the long-term costs astronomical. It's cheaper than car ownership by a great deal, cheaper than the cost of having breakfast every day if you have two eggs, some toast, and a piece of fruit, and cheaper than the vast majority of pleasure activities by a mile (let's not even get into alcohol or tobacco here). The fact that anything done constantly over 10 years adds up to a number that appears high is a deceptive argumentative technique. I might as well say that a person making $30,000 a year for 10 years will have $300,000 and then the cost seems pretty minor indeed.

A better comparison is percentage of overall income. My annual expense on diapers represents less than 0.5% of my total income. Depending on the amount one indulges and one's overall salary, I think it would be difficult for diapers to ever be more than 3% of a person's total income, which is still not that high, although I'd probably consider 3% of total income on diapers to be too high for a pleasure activity.

Smoking and drinking is more expensive and quite unhealty. Special adult diapers made in China may contain poisonous ingredients as colors or odoor controllers.

Interesting thread, do those figures include predicted inflation?

For me ABDL Diapers like quality beer is money well spent.

The way I look at it is you can't take the money with you to the grave so why not spend it on something you enjoy!?

ArchieRoni said:
The fact that anything done constantly over 10 years adds up to a number that appears high is a deceptive argumentative technique. I might as well say that a person making $30,000 a year for 10 years will have $300,000 and then the cost seems pretty minor indeed.
Yep. The entire time I was reading it, all I could think of was all of the discretionary stuff I (and other people) spend my money on. 1.2k/year is way less than eating out frequently, buying Starbucks, or going drinking with friends on the weekends. And let's not even talk about higher education or having kids.

And if the argument is that some people have some fixed expenses that other people don't have, I don't really get it. Almost everyone has some kind of unique expense that adds up to a lot if you amortize it out over multiple years. That's why it's good to make a budget to see where your money is going and then decide from there what's reasonable. If diapers are an unavoidable fixed expense, then sacrifices need to be made elsewhere. I know that sounds kind of harsh, but it's just like anyone else who has bills to pay.

Unfortunately they do not. This is simply because over the last five years our "predicted" rate has been hogwash. Therefore I did not account for the unpredictable nature of inflation.

- - - Updated - - -

The reason I made this thread was not to discourage others from using diapers, but to show real numbers of the cost that some people face.

For many individuals the costs are crippling. Again I am not trying to discourage anyone from enjoying or partaking in the ABDL lifestyle. I am reminding everyone that not everyone is fortunate, and that something as basic a nessecity as diapers can often be such a financial burden.

I pay almost $200 a month to Comcast for my combined cable/phone/Internet bill. That's more than it would cost to wear ABU space diapers 24/7. Diapers are not a huge expensive and nowhere near "financially crippling". Your calculations are way off too but I'm not going to waste any time trying to fix this mess.

It makes sense. But you need to balance the cost out against the returns, whether by necessity or happiness.
An incontinent person needs their diapers to maintain a good quality of life. This of course doesn't make your figures wrong at all, and I understand your point about the cost involved, but it's either pay the cost or live like a housebound hermit.
It may not be on the same scale as vital medications, like insulin for diabetics or puffer spray for asthmatics, but they are still a vital quality of life item.

As for us recreational users, it's really no different to justify because of enjoyment or relaxation factor. A lot of people would argue that they "need" their daily $4 cup of coffee on the way to work, when they could just as easily have a cup of instant when they got there.

Tobacco and alcohol have already been mentioned, so no need for me to say more than personally, I like a drink, even if I don't NEED one, and figure the financial cost is negligible compared to the enjoyment factor.

The same as diapers.

Yes, I don't NEED diapers, but I like them. They make me happy. So I don't find it so much a burden, rather an investment in happiness.

Sometimes you have to look at the end result and what your investment is achieving, instead of the overall financial burden. If you can afford them, and they make you a happier and more relaxed person, it's a minimal expense. At least compared to drugs or therapy.

Hell, I plunked down $13.600.00 for my piano, and that was a one day expenditure. Diapers seem cheap by comparison. At the same time, my wife and I continuously give to a number of charities. The one I'm most committed to is St. Jude's Children's Hospital. The point is that it's all a matter of balance. Yes, diapers are expensive, but shit happens, and there needs to be something there to catch it! Uh....I mean.....it's okay to do something that makes you happy and it's okay to spread the happiness by helping others. In the end, it does balance out.

Wombat said:
An incontinent person needs their diapers to maintain a good quality of life. ...it's either pay the cost or live like a housebound hermit.

Great point for those of us who are IC. And, for everyone else who's diapered because they like them, I would say the ends justify the means. There are far worse things you could be spending money on than maintaining a quality of life, staying less stressed out and being happy.

You could use that logic on anything.
How much would you save if you stopped buying name brand food, and only bought generic?
How much money would you save if you only drank water?
How much money would you save if you lost 20LBS and only ate enough to maintain that weight?
How much would you save if you unscrewed half the lightbulbs in your house?
How much would you save if you gave up hot water?
How much money in gas would you save if you always drove 10mph under the speed limit?

Money has no value unless used to improve life.

Facts such as in the OPs post are interesting but like a lot of statistics, are somewhat meaningless without context.

As someone pointed out, there is a difference between a person who is IC and needs diapers and someone that just wants diapers.

There's also the effect this expense has on the person's finances. Diaper costs are a drop in the bucket for the CEO of Facebook and yet the cost is astronomical for people with no income.

Again, repeating what someone else said, what is the difference between spending money or diapers or on my model train hobby?

The bottom line is that I read the post and found it and the other posts interesting but will not spend any more time on it.

rusalka said:
Special adult diapers made in China may contain poisonous ingredients as colors or odoor controllers.

This is an interesting claim. I was under the impression that in order to import adult diapers (into the US at least) that the product had to pass an evaluation by the government. They are classified as a medical product and should not contain anything "poisonous". Do you have a source? You'd be surprised how many adult diapers are made in China these days.

I'd say the environmental impact of the manufacturing and disposal of adult diapers is a bit concerning... but hey, we're already planning to colonize Mars... amiright? :wallbash:

I know from a friend, that Chinese tourists take back European diapers, when they visit friends in Europe, for their child´s safety. That must have a reason, that has not been widely publicized. To see lots of Chinese diapers a wholesale price, look at alibaba or aliexpress. Even the giant pacifiers stem from China.

dogboy said:
Hell, I plunked down $13.600.00 for my piano, and that was a one day expenditure. Diapers seem cheap by comparison. At the same time, my wife and I continuously give to a number of charities. The one I'm most committed to is St. Jude's Children's Hospital. The point is that it's all a matter of balance. Yes, diapers are expensive, but shit happens, and there needs to be something there to catch it! Uh....I mean.....it's okay to do something that makes you happy and it's okay to spread the happiness by helping others. In the end, it does balance out.

I agree. It's a matter of balance. That, and it is much, much, much less harmful than spending much more money on alcohol, or many other things we spend our money on.

You could do this type of analysis for anything. The end result is, who cares? Anything we do for fun (healthy or otherwise) has a financial impact. As long as your hobbies and even habits don't interfere with your ability to lead a normal life, hurt others, or put you in the poor house then frankly I'd say it's money well spent.

I love to smoke good premium hand made cigars. It's not about getting a nicotine fix like smoking cigarettes, but it obviously isn't healthy (much safer than cigarettes since you don't inhale and there are no chemical additives in cigars). Good cigars are expensive and smoking a few $10-$15 cigars per week surely adds up. But life is about finding the simple pleasures you truly enjoy. As long as I'm not maxing out my credit cards buying cigars and wrecking myself financially then who cares? I'm doing something that I really enjoy, find truly relaxing, and makes me happy. Trying new cigars, tasting the nuances in different tobacco blends, pairing good cigars with good Scotch, man that's living! I'm not a ABDL, but it's the same thing. You're spending some of your disposable income on something you really enjoy, for whatever reason (or variety of reasons), you're not hurting anyone, so who cares?

Substitute diapers or cigars with any other hobby. Most hobbies are expensive. That money adds to to be A LOT over a lifetime. But that's what you're supposed to do with money. It's why you work. To fund the things you enjoy in life.

I was just tossing numbers this morning, a Preschool a day while at work, it costs me right about $30/month to be nicely padded at work. Totally worth it. Cheap really. I could spend that much on fast food in a month reeeeealy easy.

My weekend, evenings, and of course overnight cost more, but it's all worth it to me.

Well the per year cost really isn't that bad. It kinda depends on what kind of job you have. For the most premium ab/dl specific diapers you have the cost per year listed as $1,340. Assuming the average person making minimum wage makes around 15-20k a year (American, basing this off of what my sisters income roughly) after taxes you're looking at about 2-5k less than that. I can see how that would be a lot of money. However if you're someone like say. . . my grandfather for example, when he worked he made upwards of I think $25-45/hour for what he did. (Some big computer technical job) The average income for him without my grandmother's county job, (I think anyway) Was around 80-115k a year ish, if not more. 1k a year for diapers with a wage like that isn't that bad tbh. For most young people it's probably a lot, but once you get older if you can get above the 50k/year mark 1k doesn't really seem like a lot, unless you're spending it all at once of course*

The argument for wondering how people could afford such costs is like asking how some people can afford to have a payment on a Lamborghini or Ferrari, or a 750K house by the beach. Some people just have money. Of course I don't. But some people do. I believe the average wage in america is somewhere around 40-50k, if you're not stupid with your money its doable. The key to saving money is to not have 4 car payments and a mortgage when you only make 30k a year.

OKDB said:
Hey everyone, so I just finished my last final of the semester and I felt a bit like writing.

All of the numbers are reflected off the U.S. dollar at current buying power rates. The numbers are not adjusted for future inflation, enjoy!

So today I just wanted to talk a bit about the long-term financial burden placed on incontinent individuals and the financial ramifications that come with purchasing adult diapers.

I started out by doing a bit of research and pricing out different types of diapers. I found five major groupings when it came to diapers.

The first grouping in pricing came from the cheapest of the cheap, both build and quality. I am talking about store brands. CVS, Walgreens, Riteaid, Walmart and other private labels generally sell their bags at pricing points where the cost of each unit ends up around 40¢.
Using this cost per unit I conservatively estimated an average number of changes per day at four. This means that someone using four store brand diapers is spending around:

$1.60 Every Day
$11.20 Every Week
$44.80 Every Month
$537.60 Every Year
$2,688.00 Every Five Years
$5,376.00 Every Ten Years

Please keep in mind that is a very conservative estimate on my part on the number of changes per day. As someone who had utilized store brands during times where better quality products are unavailable I would realistically predict a minimum of six changes a day, but the hell with the logistical aspect.

Now, $537.60 a year seems like a fairly manageable amount of money. After all, that is less than $45 a month, but over that year someone could have purchased a reasonably priced television or laptop. They could have even made a car payment or two, or pay off some debt.

The next major pricing group I discovered were for mass-produced brands such as Tena, or Depend. I count these products to have an average cost per unit of 65¢ This is not accounting for promotions or sales. However, the number does come from comparing multiple brands and products. I still am going to stick with a conservative estimate of around four changes daily. And therefore we can now do some simple number crunching.

$2.60 Every Day
$18.20 Every Week
$72.80 Every Month
$873.60 Every Year
$4,368.00 Every Five Years
$8,736.00 Every Ten Years

A pretty significant change for not even much better quality, or less frequent changes. Not to mention that both of the two pricing points already mentioned are notorious for leaking and overall poor craftsmanship. By switching from a store brand to a name brand we already went up around 62% in price. The long-term financial applications are enormous!

Imagine what it would feel like to receive an extra $873.60 at the end of each year. For many that would be the equivalent of an extra paycheck. The average American could pay a full months mortgage or three car payments with those savings. So now we are really starting to see the economic effects incontinence has on the average individual.

The next major pricing point of 85¢ per unit was found to be better brands, lower end products. For instance, in this pricing point, I found brands such as Tranquility, and many private label brands produced from more premium brands such as Abena, or Molicare. My favorite product in the pricing point is actually on my favorite diapers. The Molicare Super Air Active.
I again used an average of four changes a day, but depending on what is available that number could realistically be anywhere from three to five changes a day. Another thing I considered was the different products that insurance companies often disperse. I again went through and found the average cost by comparing brands and capacity.Doing so I was able to determine the following costs of incontinence.

$3.40 Every Day
$18.20 Every Week
$72.80 Every Month
$1,142.40 Every Year
$5,712.00 Every Five Years
$11,424 Every Ten Years

Again the financial burden is enormous when you are looking at the long-term effects. Imagine putting an extra $1,142.40 into a retirement acount. Assuming you are thirty years old and have nothing save up for retirement the $1,142.40 after thirty-five years at a rate of 6% growth per year you will have over $127,000 over thirty-five years sitting in your retirement account.

The costs of incontinence and diaper usage are really starting to paint a clear picture, but let us go ahead and continue to see what the financial implications would be with better quality brands!

Next, I began finding some more well know brands such as Abena, Molicare, even a few AB specific brands at $1.00 per unit

For these premium brands, I used three changes a day. I feel that number is quite accurate, and over a long timespan, I reel the average would be pretty close to three.

$3.00 Every Day
$21.00 Every Week
$84.00 Every Month
$1,008.00 Every Year
$5,040.00 Every Five Years
$10,080 Every Ten Years

Again we see that the implications are quite large. As with the previous pricing point. Over the course of ten years, you could have purchased a great used car. I purchased a year old Ford Focus with less than 30k miles on it for just at ten thousand dollars this year myself.

Lastly, I considered premium ABDL specific diapers, and while the prices vary from retailer to retailer, along with the numerous products on the market I averaged everything out to only $1.33 per unit and three changes a day. For this, I considered brands that we in the ABDL community often rave about. brands such as the Abena M4, as well as printed brands such as Snuggies. . . oppos I mean Tykables, as well as ABU.
For this final grouping we get the numbers:

$3.99 Every Day
$27.93 Every Week
$111.72 Every Month
$1,340.60 Every Year
$6,302.90 Every Five Years
$13,406.40 Every Ten Years

The true long-term costs of incontinence are astronomical. I simply cannot fathom how someone could financially afford diapers without outside assistance such as insurance, or diaper banks.

The primary reason I went through this research and took the time to write this all out is simple. As a community, we have the first-hand experience in diapers. Many of the ABDL community is in some form incontinent, and for those of us like myself who are not, we still have experience. I hope that by showing the sickening numbers I can help convince others to do a simple task.

If you went through this post, and feel like I helped you understand the burden then I ask you to please consider buying diapers and finding a local diaper bank to donate to. For those of us who have no medical reason to wear diapers, we see this as a comfort blanket or sexual attraction. This is while many others despise their condition. Let us use our knowledge and power of our community to show others that we care. The link to National Diaper Bank registry is below. Just click on your state and see if any banks in your area accept adult diapers!

Thank you all for reading, and I hope you enjoyed and learned a bit about the true cost of incontinence.

http://nationaldiaperbanknetwork.org/what-is-diaper-need/state-information/

I'm not sure of how much I spend but I wear abena m4's everyday, it's quite a cost and because I'm also bowel incontinent i need more wipes barrier cream and other stuff.I can use from 4-6 diapers a day and my bm's are really frequent and happen frequently in the night too. My parents still support me financially cause I'm still in college and have other expenses too, lucky to have a gotten a scholarship but still I can say by experience total costs spent on my incontinence is quite a lot. The insurance only gets cheap diapers which really don't work well with the severity of my incontinence so that doesn't help at all. While I'm doing okay myself I agree there are people who are incontinent and can't afford diapers. Support for these people can help better their quality of life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back