Mattress Protectors

Status
Not open for further replies.

goten

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
Has anyone found a good brand of mattress protector that I could buy online, like at Amazon or similar?

I don't want a cloth-cover "breathable" one that you don't even know is there. I would like a queen-sized vinyl or plastic version that gives off a bit of sound. Preferably one that is zippered so I don't have to keep putting it back on like my top bed sheet all the time.

I've bought both kinds. A $20 vinyl one and a $60 clothlike one. Every time I put them on my mattress, within a matter of days they crack, split and tear down the middle.

Like any good mattress, my bed is not a solid chunk of wood, and it sinks down quite a bit when you lay on it, which is what makes it comfy. It also has a pillow top to it. It seems this creates a tension that causes these pathetically cheap and thin mattress covers to split whenever any pressure is applied.

I'm not sure the brand name, but walmart has a waterproof cloth mattress protector that works really good. It's in the isle with their pillows (make sure it isn't the allergen protector). It is fully zippered, and is a treated, tight knit, cloth protector that is treated to make it completely waterproof. I've had mine for a couple of years with no problems. It replaced the same one that I had for many years prior, but I only replaced it because of the visible stains.

personally, i wouldn't buy such things online (without having first done a test purchase) because you can never sure of the type and/or quality of material being used and you can spend a fair bit of money on some (although, i should imagine that the Gary brand protectors are made from the same materials as their pants).

when i was a kid, my dad got industrial waste bags from work for our mattresses.
i currently use a very cheap PVC mattress protector, bought locally, but that's only for blood, pus and vomit, really.

I got mine at Target, I can't remember the brand, but it sounds like exactly the kind you are looking for.

I got a pillow talk non-breathable PVC mattress protector - however I am Australian and pillow talk is an Australian brand so depending on where you live that may be difficult for you.

Unfortunately it was quite cheap (A$12.95) and even though it's the correct size for the specified size of my mattress, my mattress is a little bigger than its specified size, meaning all my sheets are a little too small for it, including this one - the PVC sheet is ripped along the upper left corner seam. However, that doesn't compromise its usefulness as a mattress protector, and the rip doesn't seem to be getting worse, so ultimately that may be what you are looking for.

For travel, a heavier PVC (vinyl) shower curtain will work ... if it's heavier material. Some of the more durable shower curtains are -- AND they are large enough to cover the bed under a sheet and / or a pad.

Aside from that...a specialty item would be a hospital grade rubber sheet or fitted bed cover. I had purchased several of these in the past from a now defunct company...but they really work and they
last. The colors are ugly (black or red-orange) and these are very noisy covers and the rubber rumples and snaps with each movement...but it does stretch some under body weight and they are
highly durable. Butyl rubber is most resistant to body oils or applied lotions, so consider that if you can find Butyl (it's a synthetic rubber).

Thats my input and hope it helps you.

Last edited:
I hope to buy hospital grade red rubber mattress cover from rubberfun.nl
Perhaps that is of interest to someone.

goten: For years I've used a plastic mattress cover although it's fitted at the corners and doesn't zip up. I buy them at a local department store and they're quite inexpensive - around $20 - and durable. Any plastic mattress cover will dry out and crack over time so I replace mine about every 8 to 10 months. Washing it down with a soft sponge, water and mild soap helps preserves it. I don't use abrasive cleaners or harsh chemicals. Probably any large department store or medical supply store will likely have its own preferred supplier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back