Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Not religious is bad?

MarchinBunny

Default Not religious is bad?

Ok, this is something that has bothered me for quite some time. It's how a lot of religious people behave and it bugs me. There is this sort of double standard when it comes to belief and lack of belief.

Those who believe can come around and talk about it and be seen as "good." They can mention their religion in almost any scenario and they will be praised for it by majority of people. They are allowed to toss their views around as if they have confirmed that it's the truth.

But now let's talk about those who have a lack of belief in such things. Just by mentioning our views on the matter, we often can be automatically seen as "bad". I could mention my views on the matter in a topic, and get scorned for it. Sharing my views would be considered unhelpful, while those who are religious can share theirs and be seen as helpful.

A religious person can point out to someone random who had someone recently pass away, that they are probably in heaven. They can even do so without even considering if the person they are saying it too, may not be religious. They see this as absolutely normal. Yet, if someone who wasn't religious pointed out there likely isn't a heaven, they are going to be hated and attacked for it. So non religious have to often hold their tongues or be hated while the religious just yap nonchalantly.

How come they can get so offended when an atheist mentions their views, but when a religious person mentions their views, and an atheist is offended ... all hell breaks loose as if that person just some how insulted every single person in the room and killed a puppy?

I can say, how I don't like people pointing out their religious views on a certain topic, and I would be a bad person for doing so. But if the opposite happens, where the religious is telling an atheist to keep their views to themselves ... the atheist is often still the bad person in that situation too.

Bah ... I am ranting on too much I suppose but it really does bug me. It's just absolutely absurd.

Most of the religious people I'm uncomfortable with aren't "GOOD" people. I have a few EXTREMELY religious people I've known over the years and on the contrary they are quite comfortable to be around.

These people would never ascribe to the vanity of thinking they were "good" just because of a profession to religion.

As for people getting offended. Get over it. People ascribing the dead to being in a better place or saying "bless you" when you sneeze is cultural more than trying to press a religious on you.

And yes, I am an atheist.

MarchinBunny

Quote Originally Posted by willnotwill View Post
    Most of the religious people I'm uncomfortable with aren't "GOOD" people. I have a few EXTREMELY religious people I've known over the years and on the contrary they are quite comfortable to be around.
    Think you entirely misunderstood a very large portion of the post.

This wasn't really about good or bad people. The words good and bad I was using was describing how something is seen, not how the people are seen. Like I am talking about how atheist itself is viewed, not the people themselves, but the actual view point.

Why do you think people are extremely unlikely to vote for a presidential candidate whom is an atheist for example? They could be a really really good person, yet the majority of America for example has put atheists at the very bottom for whom they would vote for.

As for people getting offended. Get over it. People ascribing the dead to being in a better place or saying "bless you" when you sneeze is cultural more than trying to press a religious on you.
    Again .. you missed the point. Please try and reread what I wrote. This wasn't about religions trying to press anything onto me... it was about the double standard that exists.

Edit: Also your "get over it" attitude isn't needed, just so you know. Also, it's not a very good argument either. It's the type of thing people say when they typically don't have one.

And yes, I am an atheist.
    Cool. and?

Quote Originally Posted by brabbit1987 View Post
    Ok, this is something that has bothered me for quite some time. It's how a lot of religious people behave and it bugs me. There is this sort of double standard when it comes to belief and lack of belief.

Those who believe can come around and talk about it and be seen as "good." They can mention their religion in almost any scenario and they will be praised for it by majority of people. They are allowed to toss their views around as if they have confirmed that it's the truth.

But now let's talk about those who have a lack of belief in such things. Just by mentioning our views on the matter, we often can be automatically seen as "bad". I could mention my views on the matter in a topic, and get scorned for it. Sharing my views would be considered unhelpful, while those who are religious can share theirs and be seen as helpful.

A religious person can point out to someone random who had someone recently pass away, that they are probably in heaven. They can even do so without even considering if the person they are saying it too, may not be religious. They see this as absolutely normal. Yet, if someone who wasn't religious pointed out there likely isn't a heaven, they are going to be hated and attacked for it. So non religious have to often hold their tongues or be hated while the religious just yap nonchalantly.

How come they can get so offended when an atheist mentions their views, but when a religious person mentions their views, and an atheist is offended ... all hell breaks loose as if that person just some how insulted every single person in the room and killed a puppy?

I can say, how I don't like people pointing out their religious views on a certain topic, and I would be a bad person for doing so. But if the opposite happens, where the religious is telling an atheist to keep their views to themselves ... the atheist is often still the bad person in that situation too.

Bah ... I am ranting on too much I suppose but it really does bug me. It's just absolutely absurd.
    I'm an athiest as well, with a number of friends who are atheist, Catholic and Muslim. I've also had to attend more funerals in my lifetime than anyone would care to. I'm not sure if there is a specific event that is raising this topic, but it just hasn't been my experience that people of particular denominations have forced their views on me nor do are they dismissive of my perspective. We agree to disagree. They believe in an afterlife and a heaven, while I believe we should find joy in life during our limited time here on earth. We've always found common ground with each other and respect each others differences.

Last edited by Starrunner; 27-Nov-2016 at 15:03.

MarchinBunny

Quote Originally Posted by Starrunner View Post
    I'm an athiest as well, with a number of friends who are atheist, Catholic and Muslim. I've also had to attend more funerals in my lifetime than anyone would care to. I'm not sure if there is a specific event that is raising this topic, but it just hasn't been my experience that people of particular denominations have forced their views on me nor do are they dismissive of my perspective. We agree to disagree. They believe in an afterlife and a heaven, while I believe we should find joy in life during our limited time here on earth. We've always find common ground with each other and respect each others differences.
    -.- I guess I should have made myself more clear, i'm not talking about just when it comes to funerals. I am talking in general. That was just an example I pointed out cause it's the most common.

Overall, atheists are generally looked down on. Yes, you can have friends who are religious and be comfortable around each other, I do as well. That isn't my point. I really wish I knew how to word this correctly. But my point is atheistic views are simply seen as something generally bad by a vast majority of people in the states.

Again, this isn't about people forcing their views on me ... this is about how people view things as a whole. Atheistic views are viewed as something not desirable.

There remains an underlying cultural approbation for having faith. For most of human history, religious faith was regarded as enlightened, what truly separated humans from the beasts and monsters. The more overt aspects of this have faded, especially with the rise of rationality and science, society still lauds strong conviction.

Yes, that is generally so. Religious belief of some kind is the majority by a wide margin and I think they're more comfortable with the various flavors than none at all. It's certainly not insurmountable but I see it as a pretty easy prejudice to have and there's not frequent reason to reevaluate it.

When we raise non-religious points, we're distinguishing ourselves from the norm and that lack of belief of some kind can be disquieting to those who put significant energy into being believers. It's not fair but I don't think we can reasonably expect equality or equivalence in this area at all times. You can push for it and then you're one of those "pushy atheists". I'd rather address it in smaller, less confrontational ways.

Over here in the UK, religion isn't really seen as relevant to most people. I guess it's a cultural thing.

But I remember hearing about a religious school in London... (I think even religious schools legally have to accept kids regardless of their parents' religion. It's rare for people of one religion to send their kids to another religion's school, but in London school places are in demand, and good results are important, so unusually, this school has a mix of religions.)

ANYWAY, apparently the kids are quite open and respectful about each others' religions. But they find it incredulous to believe that anyone could be so nihilistic as to have no religion at all. They ask what could possibly give meaning to existence; what would stop people from being evil and killing others if there are no gods to punish them. It's so silly. They should be required to teach philosophy, so kids would learn to think about these things in a rational manner.

I guess it's a bit like single-sex schools -- these kids are gonna have one hell of a shock when they get out into the real world!

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
    Yes, that is generally so. Religious belief of some kind is the majority by a wide margin and I think they're more comfortable with the various flavors than none at all. It's certainly not insurmountable but I see it as a pretty easy prejudice to have and there's not frequent reason to reevaluate it.

When we raise non-religious points, we're distinguishing ourselves from the norm and that lack of belief of some kind can be disquieting to those who put significant energy into being believers. It's not fair but I don't think we can reasonably expect equality or equivalence in this area at all times. You can push for it and then you're one of those "pushy atheists". I'd rather address it in smaller, less confrontational ways.
    Thank you Trevor.
    Better stated then what I could have done.

I see this as a continuation of the discussion from the; "What is your religion" thread.

I do see that if one brings up their point of view it will offend someone else, and some will dig in and fight for their beliefs.

So I think the way that I will answer is like I said in the other thread. This harkens back to a no win debate in a lit class and it is just best to agree to disagree like Starrunner said.

Quote Originally Posted by egor View Post
    Thank you Trevor.
    Better stated then what I could have done.

I see this as a continuation of the discussion from the; "What is your religion" thread.

I do see that if one brings up their point of view it will offend someone else, and some will dig in and fight for their beliefs.

So I think the way that I will answer is like I said in the other thread. This harkens back to a no win debate in a lit class and it is just best to agree to disagree like Starrunner said.
    There are times when it's appropriate and worthwhile to have those talks with people. I don't choose to do them in all instances. I focus mostly on those closer to me. I think it would be better if we focused on the things we can readily identify and have real evidence for but I can't expect even friends and loved ones to see it that way. We have to figure this stuff out for ourselves.