Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20

Thread: Tiny Homes

  1. #1

    Default Tiny Homes

    Has anyone ever looked into these before? Very small, but fully functional (and cute!) houses, e.g. those sold here: https://www.tumbleweedhouses.com/ Lots of other places too.

    I've also seen an encouragingly large number of DIY blogs and vlogs, even from people starting out as complete newbs (like myself). I'm intrigued by the idea of designing and building one of my own.

    For someone like me, the concept is intriguing. A huge mortgage and being effectively tied to a specific area has never appealed to me. And, confession: I despise cleaning... so the less there is to clean, the better off I'll be. ^^;; I notice that I don't technically need a lot of space to live. My apartment right now is about 1000 square feet, and for the most part I live in the computer room (a space of about 99 square feet), the bathroom (~35) and the kitchen (~132 sq ft and poorly laid out). The livingroom basically just holds furniture and is almost never used except when guests are over; the bedroom is literally just a room for the bed to go in (and to store my clothes). There is also a spare room which is right now full of boxes and junk from when I moved in.

    Which is to say, the ~1000 square feet of space I have is being used very inefficiently, and is probably much more than I need. And I'm paying for it in rent. ;.; I also deeply regretted the amount of furniture I own when I had to move out of my last place on short notice. What a pain... >.<

    I know a couple of friends who might be able to help teach me the requisite skills to design and build my own, even though the idea is rather intimidating. I feel like with something that small, though, the details would really matter, and I'd want them done my way. Plus, I think it would be kind of special to really know the place in which you dwell inside and out, every nook and cranny. It would make it feel more mine.

    It's a thought for avoiding a lot of mortgage debt down the line and maintaining some flexibility to relocate without having to pack up, sell the house, buy a new house, get used to the new place, etc. Has anyone here ever tried or considered anything like this?

  2. #2

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by Sapphyre View Post
    Has anyone ever looked into these before? [...] Has anyone here ever tried or considered anything like this?
    Oh, yes!

    And one thing to mention about cleaning... you'll want to always clean as you go... yes, the small space makes it less to clean; it also makes it very quick and easy, to clutter and foul your living space...

    I started designs on one that would be on a motor-home frame... about 10-years ago...

    Health, finances and other things, have prevented me from realizing the actual build...

    However, I've gone from a 2-demensional drawing done with MS-Paint... to converting it into a google/tremble- SketchUp, 3-dimensional model... Which especially after placing scaled-props like dishes and a 2-D person (scaled to me)... you can do a walk-through and almost feel the space and movement... build or, download ready made components... to speed up results and, make it so that revamps/adjustments - aren't destructive to the whole arrangement...

    I'm not of the physical health or, of the finances to travel around yet, to even be able to decide that I want say, sunrise to come in from a certain point... I could also do extended stays with friends - without, imposing on their living quarters...

    My intentions were to have a more mobile (wouldn't need permits or oversize-load pilot vehicles), sized house - that is removable from the vehicle, so it couldn't be classified as a recreational vehicle and, could be left stationary when desired too...

    And, all of the benefits that you mentioned too...

    Yes, I'm all for it...
    -Marka

  3. #3

    Default

    I don't really think this craze will last long. Depending on where you live local zoning laws will determine where you
    can put one. Also ultillity hookups can be real strict. Also square footage requirements can come into play versus
    travel trailers or other RV's which are mobile and can't be lived in fulltime.

  4. #4

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by Marka View Post
    Oh, yes!

    And one thing to mention about cleaning... you'll want to always clean as you go... yes, the small space makes it less to clean; it also makes it very quick and easy, to clutter and foul your living space...

    I started designs on one that would be on a motor-home frame... about 10-years ago...

    Health, finances and other things, have prevented me from realizing the actual build...

    However, I've gone from a 2-demensional drawing done with MS-Paint... to converting it into a google/tremble- SketchUp, 3-dimensional model... Which especially after placing scaled-props like dishes and a 2-D person (scaled to me)... you can do a walk-through and almost feel the space and movement... build or, download ready made components... to speed up results and, make it so that revamps/adjustments - aren't destructive to the whole arrangement...

    I'm not of the physical health or, of the finances to travel around yet, to even be able to decide that I want say, sunrise to come in from a certain point... I could also do extended stays with friends - without, imposing on their living quarters...

    My intentions were to have a more mobile (wouldn't need permits or oversize-load pilot vehicles), sized house - that is removable from the vehicle, so it couldn't be classified as a recreational vehicle and, could be left stationary when desired too...

    And, all of the benefits that you mentioned too...

    Yes, I'm all for it...
    -Marka
    Our thoughts run very similarly. ^_^ As far as being removable from the vehicle, one idea occurred to me...if down the road I'm rich enough and need the space, a page could be borrowed from the modular home playbook: one could have two roadworthy-size tiny house pieces which interlock side-by-side when placed on a stationary foundation. The house needs to be moved in more than one trip, but can still be done with no special permits, and this way it isn't quite so narrow inside. Could work maybe?

    For now, though, I'm thinking something more Tumbleweed-sized, if maybe just a bit longer. ^^; I have a rough outline in LibreOffice for now...

    Thank you for the encouragement!

    Oh, and as for cleaning... I tend to let the clutter build up to the point that it annoys me, then clean (most of) it all in one fell swoop. o.o; So, the theory is, if the clutter annoys me faster I'll clean more often, and since there's less of it, it won't seem so overwhelming.

  5. #5

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by Sapphyre View Post
    Has anyone here ever tried or considered anything like this?
    Having an interest in architecture and home design I have always found the idea of these as something that is unique, but can also be something that would take a lot of patience to get used to. Personally I dont think I would be able to do it; maybe not in one of the designs that falls in the small end of the scale, despite living in a smaller apartment already. Maybe if I had better organizational skills lol

    As has been said, from research I have done the big roadblock for a lot of these is municipal regulations. Just dealing with any council/government to get to even build can make costs go up. Where I live for example, they are really picky about zoning and placement of structures and you would be walking the line of it being classed as a livable structure or an accessory building. However, with the costs of homes these days it is a viable alternative to a 25 year mortgage, land taxes (Depending on where you live) Water usage bills, etc.

  6. #6

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by LstNwf View Post
    Having an interest in architecture and home design I have always found the idea of these as something that is unique, but can also be something that would take a lot of patience to get used to. Personally I dont think I would be able to do it; maybe not in one of the designs that falls in the small end of the scale, despite living in a smaller apartment already. Maybe if I had better organizational skills lol

    As has been said, from research I have done the big roadblock for a lot of these is municipal regulations. Just dealing with any council/government to get to even build can make costs go up. Where I live for example, they are really picky about zoning and placement of structures and you would be walking the line of it being classed as a livable structure or an accessory building. However, with the costs of homes these days it is a viable alternative to a 25 year mortgage, land taxes (Depending on where you live) Water usage bills, etc.
    I think that with our ever increasing population... municipalities, are going to need to make some adjustments... I think that the tiny-house venture is a more responsible and anti-consumerist notion... that we live more within the means that we need not, so much sold on near palatial excess - that does so often seem to turn into built-in storage for things we don't need or use anyway... In my estimation, tiny-living is antithetical to hoarding on many levels...

    Energy, pollution and real-estate and, economy, are all things to consider... the tiny-living should be given incentive, rather than discouragement...

    Considerations for safety and easement and some form of community decorum; are still necessary things to factor... RV's really aren't built to be continuous living dwellings and, are considered luxury vehicles also, all but the best of them, are really quite inefficient in-spite of their small area...

    Tiny homes should be equally suited in place of or near the larger counter-parts... without, looking like sheds and shacks or, subsequent shanty-towns...

    for now,
    -Marka

    - - - Updated - - -



    Quote Originally Posted by Sapphyre View Post
    Our thoughts run very similarly. ^_^ As far as being removable from the vehicle, one idea occurred to me...if down the road I'm rich enough and need the space, a page could be borrowed from the modular home playbook: one could have two roadworthy-size tiny house pieces which interlock side-by-side when placed on a stationary foundation. The house needs to be moved in more than one trip, but can still be done with no special permits, and this way it isn't quite so narrow inside. Could work maybe?

    For now, though, I'm thinking something more Tumbleweed-sized, if maybe just a bit longer. ^^; I have a rough outline in LibreOffice for now...

    Thank you for the encouragement!

    Oh, and as for cleaning... I tend to let the clutter build up to the point that it annoys me, then clean (most of) it all in one fell swoop. o.o; So, the theory is, if the clutter annoys me faster I'll clean more often, and since there's less of it, it won't seem so overwhelming.
    I think the biggest problem with the modular aspects... it's going to have to fall under some sort of code-regulation... Currently, in the states... Labor & Industries oversees the coding and compliance for safety standards (insurance?), including plumbing, electrical, HVAC... and, some degree of structural design minimums... for both RV's and Mobile/Modular homes. Department of transpiration, regulates the transporting aspects for going down the roads, including size limits and such...

    Then, we have local City, County and, Provincial codes too... I don't think anyone has fully figured out, how to reasonably manage this well and more succinctly... Mostly, I think people tend to just do it and see what happens...

    I know that locally here, the news had mentioned a family being evicted and/or mandated to remove their tiny-structure home...

    But, yes... modular may otherwise be the way to go... particularly if it was such that you could add or subtract and, even have endless layout and, detail options... In-fact, I had this idea for RV's at one time... if you think of cargo containers for airliners except, that the outside shell portion would be attached to each container so, that when you could lock and self-seal each piece until, you completed filling the void between the end-caps, to make the full floor-plan... each compartment would be comprised of a standard volume of space and incremental lengths yet, you could have single piece, double or triple length compartments, to accommodate sleeping quarters or, a galley for example... For the tiny-house modular, you might want removable weather panels, to weatherize exposed modular joining faces for example...

    I think the main thing overall, for all types and designs... where money/value is involved (especially where it might cost investors)... anything from safety, health, insurability to, reflections on real-estate/home-owner values and, general market values... I think is going to be where negotiations and accommodations for satisfactory appeasement are going to need to be won, from our governments...

    My best and, for now,
    -Marka

  7. #7

    Default

    Laws suck! I wanted to build a 600sqft house over garage and build 2000sqft house attached later when I could afford it but the local law is 1000sqft minimum.

  8. #8

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by Nam Repaid View Post
    Laws suck! I wanted to build a 600sqft house over garage and build 2000sqft house attached later when I could afford it but the local law is 1000sqft minimum.
    If I may...

    What do you even need "2000sqft" of house for?

  9. #9

    Default

    watched the tv series occasionally(I think it was at least 2), kind of scary picturing living in a place with less space then my padding would take up XD

  10. #10

    Default

    I've seen several shows on HGTV about small homes. They seem like a good alternative to living large when finances are a factor. There was an article on the Windows 10 financial section dealing with retirees selling their big homes and retiring to small homes. It wouldn't work for my wife an I as she spends most of her time in a wheel chair. It would be impossible for her to climb a ladder to the bedroom loft. I also like to be able to stretch out, and it seems like I'm always bumping into something in our house. But if you're young, it could be ideal.

    Most cities and towns have zoning laws, but those laws often have specific places which accommodate mobile homes, etc. I'm sure you could find a place to put one.

    In the first half of the 20th century, Sears sold house kits. People would order them from the Sears catalog. All the things needed to build a house would be delivered to the address and people would build their own house. I think they were called Craftsman houses or Craft houses, something like that. Now people buy those old houses and restore them. Building a small house should be doable if you have enough experience in building. There's also plumbing to consider and you might have to let a licensed electrician do the wiring. Showers can be a bit tricky as well, so there might be a lot to learn. There's also the sewer hookup or a septic system as well as hooking up to the electrical utility.

Similar Threads

  1. Tiny in school.
    By SadLittleKitten in forum Off-topic
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-May-2016, 12:53
  2. A Christmas Wish for Homes
    By Starrunner in forum Mature Topics
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 24-Dec-2015, 14:51
  3. Things made into unusual homes
    By Cherub in forum Off-topic
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 30-Aug-2013, 21:34
  4. group homes, diapers and epilepsy.
    By chrisx320 in forum Diaper Talk
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-Apr-2011, 15:50
  5. Whats Goin On Homes?
    By Jakey in forum Greetings / Introductions
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 30-Oct-2010, 15:37

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
ADISC.org - the Adult Baby / Diaper Lover / Incontinence Support Community.
ADISC.org is designed to be viewed in Firefox, with a resolution of at least 1280 x 1024.