Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Does biological gender matter?

Default Does biological gender matter?

Seriously, if someone creates & consistently maintains a female persona, does it matter if she is in rl a m> f transsexual (pre or post-op) or x-dressing guy or just a dude that wants to rp a girl, with nobody getting hurt?

Or is it creepy to believe someone to be a girl, when they are in rl, not?

This was debated long and hard before, but as I recall, @ TBDL; anyhow, we have many many new voices, including new girls, doubtless with opinions on the matter...

Both.

Obviously, people have the right to express how they feel, and if they feel so compelled to act the part of a girl, crossdress, whatever, etc, then they're free to do so.

However, I do think that if the other asks, "So, you're a guy, then?" or whatever the case is, that you should explain to them the situation. Even if it's 'technically' something, I think it's only fair to let the other person know if the situation arises.

I would think that people who think biological gender doesn't matter should consider simply not listing their gender. I know that thinking 'biological gender doesn't matter' isn't the same as 'gender doesn't matter', but I think it would reduce conflict.

...Yes.

Because a female doesn't have a penis. Personally, I would find it very uncomfortible if a "man" who has a vagina starts showering in my locker room.

inb4 shitstorm

Conflict arises as a difference of feeling on an issue, whether or not there is miscommunication. There will be cases where people simply have opposed feelings; where this involves gals being treated as gals (or not) the feelings of one side prevail, the other side subordinate. I vote that the gals prevail, whatever sort of gal the happen to be.

Quote Originally Posted by TeenDiaperLover View Post
    Both.

Obviously, people have the right to express how they feel, and if they feel so compelled to act the part of a girl, crossdress, whatever, etc, then they're free to do so.

However, I do think that if the other asks, "So, you're a guy, then?" or whatever the case is, that you should explain to them the situation. Even if it's 'technically' something, I think it's only fair to let the other person know if the situation arises.
    But why, exactly?

It comes down, I think, to - Is anyone actually being misled? If the gal is a gal in her own mind, and that mind is who you are dealing with, and she feels she is not misleading you with her posted words, is she not in the right?

On the other hand, many consistently affirm that they feel misled if a "she" turns out to have "he gear." I am looking for some sort of reasonable argument - from ethics or logic - as to which view should prevail.

In short: how does one's online identity correspond to one's rl identity from a 2nd party's point of view?

Quote Originally Posted by sparkmaster View Post
    ...Yes.

Because a female doesn't have a penis. Personally, I would find it very uncomfortible if a "man" who has a vagina starts showering in my locker room.

inb4 shitstorm
    Why though? Why does it make you uncomfortable? It really shouldn't.

Also the proper terminology would be biological sex. Sex is the male, female binary, gender is the spectrum of social expression typically bound to biological sex.

People can believe whatever they want, although a six foot bloke with stubble can't really expect to be totally accepted by others as a chick even if he stuffs himself into a miniskirt and boob tube.

From an intimate perspective, I wouldn't have a problem, since hell... if I was going to sleep with 'em anyway, I don't really give a damn what they have down there provided it doesn't have teeth. But then that's because I don't factor gender into my decisions regarding that sort of thing; for a heterosexual (or even homosexual if they're going to do a Mrs. Garrison) person, I can see this being a problem, however.

Quote Originally Posted by frillyfoxy View Post
    Why though? Why does it make you uncomfortable? It really shouldn't.

Also the proper terminology would be biological sex. Sex is the male, female binary, gender is the spectrum of social expression typically bound to biological sex.
    I phrased it as sex=reproductive organs.

It would make me uncomfortable for the same reasons we sex segregate now. a bathroom is a private place made very unprivate by the inclusion of other males (in my case). It would make it much less private if, for all practical purposes, a female could declare herself a man, walk in, and use the shitter next to me.

I say if you want to be a man, get a penis. Penis=Man, Vagina=Woman. End of story, as far as I'm concerned.

And yes, I fully approve of gender reassignment surgeries.

Quote Originally Posted by sparkmaster View Post
    I phrased it as sex=reproductive organs.

It would make me uncomfortable for the same reasons we sex segregate now. a bathroom is a private place made very unprivate by the inclusion of other males (in my case). It would make it much less private if, for all practical purposes, a female could declare herself a man, walk in, and use the shitter next to me.

I say if you want to be a man, get a penis. Penis=Man, Vagina=Woman. End of story, as far as I'm concerned.

And yes, I fully approve of gender reassignment surgeries.
    Except there is no good penoplasty. In fact if a f-m came up next to you in the toilet and wipped out their dodger I can almost guarantee if you caught site of it you would be made very uncomfortable by it.

Why does the site of a vagina make you uncomfortable? Is it the implied sexuality of it? How do you feel about the fact that homosexual men might be showering with you? How about people mid transition. How do you feel it a person that looks like a woman in a dress walks into the mens room?

But why, exactly?

It comes down, I think, to - Is anyone actually being misled? If the gal is a gal in her own mind, and that mind is who you are dealing with, and she feels she is not misleading you with her posted words, is she not in the right?

On the other hand, many consistently affirm that they feel misled if a "she" turns out to have "he gear." I am looking for some sort of reasonable argument - from ethics or logic - as to which view should prevail.

In short: how does one's online identity correspond to one's rl identity from a 2nd party's point of view?
    I'd feel as if I was misled. I'm not saying it has to be something that comes up right away. But perhaps you decide that you're good enough internet friends you want to meet up. How would you feel if that person that's claimed to be a girl for the past 2 years turns out to be a guy who feels like they should be a girl. You wouldn't be a little upset with that?

On top of that, there is the.. weird side. There are the freakazoid old men who claim to be 18 year old girls and seduce little boys into meeting them somewhere. Which, while may be irrelevant to people who actually have good intentions, it's still a risk. I couldn't stand knowing that I had been lied to, especially if it was a person who I thought I could trust.

I just think you should be honest. I'd be open to anyone if they said they're this or that or whatever. But I'd never be able to trust them if I ever found out they're not who they say they are.