Thread: Arrival- Best Sci-Fi Movie of 2016

Thumbs up Arrival- Best Sci-Fi Movie of 2016

Has anyone seen Arrival yet? It just came out in the theatres last Friday.

I saw it yesterday and I must say it is definitely the best Sci-Fi film of 2016, and probably one of the best ones ever made.

It's a thoughtful, intelligent movie which packs an emotional wallop at the end. The premise is about alien ships appearing over twelve different regions of the world as our leaders attempt to discover why they are here. It's not an action movie like Independence day. You could find perhaps some comparisons to First Contact, Interstellar, with a touch of Close Encounters, but the film is uniquely its own entity.

The story concerns a linguist and a scientist (Amy Adams and Jeremy Renner) who are recruited by the military to find a way to communicate with the aliens. There's a lot of buzz about Adams being nominated for an Academy Award for her performance and I think it's much deserved. In the role of the linguist, she is also a mother who lost her daughter to an incurable cancer.

It poses some interesting and fundamental questions with a major revelation at the end of the movie, Nuff said.

Highly intelligent and emotional. After a summer of some great blockbusters such as Captain America, Star Trek Beyond, Doctor Strange, in addition to some big disappointments like Independence Day, Batman v.Superman, Suicide Squad (DC just can't catch up to Marvel no matter how hard they try), this movie stands in a class by itself.

As far as science fiction films go, it is definitely the best I've seen in a very, very long time.

Starrunner's Verdict 9 out of 10
    Last edited by Starrunner; 16-Nov-2016 at 16:07.

Sounds like it could have a lot in common with one of my all-time favorites, The Day the Earth Stood Still.

I think it's been getting very good reviews. If memory serves, the Washington Post was very positive.

I've heard a lot of good reviews about Arrival and it certainly sounds really good. I just might check it out in the theaters sometime. If not, I'll at least get it once it comes out on Netflix.

I saw a trailer for this a while back and thought it looked good, nice to hear it had potential as well.

Amy Adams is lovely and Jeremy Renner seems to wind up in some good movies.

well, i hope it's good.

i watched Independence Day 2 the other day, after watching the first film of course, and it was a bit of a let-down. my gripes about it would be the same as everbody else's intelligent gripes.
    and it's no coincidence that the other day i found myself looking at my stack of sci-fi films at hand, on the table, and thinking of how they're all character driven films. i also noted that i have Neill Bloomkamp's three major films in that stack. Contact is there. and Roseanne (although that's less sci-fi, more burnt-apple-pie).

oh, and Interstellar....seriously? luckily, i only paid a quid for it, from the charity shop. i'll be taking it back.