Oh crap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

LittleJess

Banned
This isn't going to be good, every power cable in my room has become very soft, is this by any way a fire hazard?

Same thing happened to my computer due to this extreme heat in my room, i noticed it first with my xbox controllers cable being a bit softer than usual, than to my surprise every fucking cable in my room is as soft as a pancake, and not hard like they usually are, this is weird...

I've even had plates warp in here before. ok, so literally every plastic item in my room, including my cables, have softened.

hmm

If the insulation isn't busted and the metal isn't actually melting, you're fine. You might want to get a fan though (just a portable one, I know you can't get a full AC unit). Just point it at the computer.

I always worry about the smell of plastics leaching into the air in the heat... make sure you ventilate your room!

Maxx said:
Given the afro-engineered nature of your living space, are you running everything via extension cord from the main house? If so, check the current rating of the extension cord(s) you're using vs. the sum of the loads you have on that extension. Extension cords all look more or less the same, but the guage, and thus current capacity of the actual conductors inside can vary quite a bit. Cheap ones might have only 18 guage, more expensive heavy duty cords 14 or 12 guage. There should be a tag on the cord specifying both current capacity and wire guage.

Where I live, running a room AC unit off an extension cord would be a building code violation, over and above being a bad idea. I actually do it in one of the bedrooms, but its a short length of heavy duty, so I'm not worried about it as a hazard.

No, I'm Not but ironically that would be funny, well I looked at other cords, seems like every cord, even USB cords have seem to soften.

The wiring was done by a professional, literally, wiring in the room is fine, :p, It must be due to this heat in this room, I have had plastic plates warp as well

Better listen to Maxx...(...unless it's like 130° F in your room...)

Maxx said:
Entirely possible. Just wanted to be sure you weren't headed for an electrical fire. Nothing I can do about your living arrangements.

xD, yeah well one day I'll get out of here, I'm making it sound like a bloody prison xD.

Hopefully I get the silver lining (a job) but being a aspie, that makes life a bit harder.

There's a similar risk with multiple consoles hooked to the same TV. In the front it seems fine, but the back is just a huge cluster of wires. Depending on your setup, you might need switchers and circuit breakers. To reduce the risk, don't have more than one system on at a time, have everything off when you're not using it, crack open a window or use a fan to prevent overheating, and keep open outlets covered with hard plastic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back