Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is arrogance contageous?

Default Is arrogance contageous?

Is it possible to develop arrogance simply by being surrounded by arrogant people? Something I've been wondering lately.

Well, possibly.

I mean if you know a lot of arrogant people, you may feel compelled to act arrogantly too.
    Just like when people boast about their abilities, people often get competitive, or feel obliged to boast about some of their abilities too.

secretdl26

I guess it can be. When I'm with a group of my friends who are usually more arrogant, aggressive, or overly confident I kind of take on that attitude a little bit.

It's the same for the opposite; if I am hanging with friends who are more chill and relaxed I'll be more relaxed.

Quote Originally Posted by Huggies1998 View Post
    Is it possible to develop arrogance simply by being surrounded by arrogant people? Something I've been wondering lately.
    Yes, and computer/programming nerds are some of the worst offenders next to art students.

I know this having been on both sides. It is important since half the job of both of those is coming across as being better than your peers even if it isn't true!

Quote Originally Posted by frillyfoxy View Post
    Yes, and computer/programming nerds are some of the worst offenders next to art students.
    I'm a computer nerd! I'm not arroga... well, maybe a little bit sometimes, but aren't we all?

I think arrogance can be contagious like the people above me have said.

Quote Originally Posted by Wegs View Post
    I'm a computer nerd! I'm not arroga... well, maybe a little bit sometimes, but aren't we all?

I think arrogance can be contagious like the people above me have said.
    People in general can be arrogant, but working around computers I have never met as many arrogant people anywhere else. Keep in mind It stands out more because while arrogant, they don't know that much. I don't know many arrogant older programmers, but you meet tons of really arrogant guys in support that seem to feel like it is an affront to god that there staff of mac users doesn't know how to run sudo nano on a system file and then to pipe it to grep for searching.

run sudo nano on a system file and then to pipe it to grep for searching.
    I didn't understand a word you said :P

Yeah, I have found some of the most arrogant people to be working at dell.
    The wireless system on my new computer wasn't working. I tried using it right next to the signal origin, still nothing. I called Dell Support, and got a woman who assured me I was too far away from the signal origin for it to work (:S), and when I mentioned I had tried using it next to my computer, she said she got the job for a reason, and told me to get a new wireless device. She then hung up.

Quote Originally Posted by Huggies1998 View Post

I know this having been on both sides. It is important since half the job of both of those is coming across as being better than your peers even if it isn't true!
    Yes. Look at academia. When something like this becomes a group norm, then this is adopted by group members as their norm.

I believe it's possible for any behaviour to be adopted by an individual if everybody around them are doing it. I think it's more a matter of human psychology than anything else.

Although personally, I respond to what I perceive as arrogance and arrogant people with contempt and derision. But contempt is in itself a kind of arrogance, so that would make me arrogant, which would mean that ssssszzzzzzzzzzrrrrrrrrpppp *brain melts*

Quote Originally Posted by h3g3l View Post
    Yes. Look at academia. When something like this becomes a group norm, then this is adopted by group members as their norm.
    Having worked at a college yes, you will never meet so many people who think they know how to do your job even if they have no idea how to do it. Something about getting a PHD makes you insane.