Thread: Why Not Both?

Default Why Not Both?

I don't understand why you can't support LGBT rights and be religious. I see things on the web like "God hates f*gs" or "Bible thumper" depending on who's portrayed as the bad guy.

I've had experiences where I stated my support for gay marriage and was told that I wasn't a real Christian. Other times, I've felt alienated in LGBT rights discussions about people not supporting it because they're dumb and believe in an 'imaginary magic man'.

I know people won't agree on everything, but bashing the other person's lifestyle is just ridiculous!

Thing is you should be able to, even if you have issues with the LGBT lifestyle, I.E. it is not something you are into, you should still be able to be there for friends and/or relatives that are part of those lifestyles.

For myself, I am against Churches being forced to perform the ceremony but am all for gay couples to have all the legal rights and such of being married and if I had a gay friend that was getting married and invited me? I'd be there if I was able to make it to support that friend.

The issue is more people only see issues like this in black and white, and we have idiots like the WBC (the god hates f*gs dingbats) showing what they think and brining the rest of us down where as some of the LGBTs out there seem to think "oh, you are a Christian? then you are a bigot". Karma is still a thing and if you treat others like shit, don't be surprised when it comes back to bite you in the ass.

Pretty much all of my religious friends have zero problems with gays. A good amount of Christians don't base their life around bashing and saying "repent! god is vengeful!" and view god and jesus as loving and not bitter and vengeful. I couldn't ever view god to be hateful in this manner over what he created. Only the extremely religious would tell you otherwise.

Someone once implied to me online that you are not a real Muslim if you don't believe in honor killings and if you believe in homosexuality and don't do terrorism. And this came from someone who hates Muslims.

Some people are black and white about religions and there are people who do go too far with it I wonder why it's not even a disorder. I would rather judge someone after knowing them and finding out what they believe in than prejudge based on their religion.

Quote Originally Posted by Sprinkles View Post
    I don't understand why you can't support LGBT rights and be religious. I see things on the web like "God hates f*gs" or "Bible thumper" depending on who's portrayed as the bad guy.

I've had experiences where I stated my support for gay marriage and was told that I wasn't a real Christian. Other times, I've felt alienated in LGBT rights discussions about people not supporting it because they're dumb and believe in an 'imaginary magic man'.

I know people won't agree on everything, but bashing the other person's lifestyle is just ridiculous!
    First of all, I think it's important to differentiate the beliefs of the legitimate churches and the evangelist so-called churches, such as the Westboro Baptist Church and their ilk. The WBC has spouted its hatred at the funerals of gay people and military soldiers with their protests including the 'God hates Fags' signs. The truth is that no god would support or condone that kind of vicious behaviour, and the church itself likely consists of few people beyond the family members of its founder, Fred Phelps.

I'm a gay person and an athiest myself, and I have a number of friends who are practicing Catholics. Their religion has never been a problem for me, and my being gay has never been an issue with them. They have always been supportive of me, and they were also very supportive of the laws in Canada when same sex marriages became legal. My own feelimg is that people who discriminate against gays don't want to appear as bigots or openly profess their hatred, so they use religion as an excuse to legitimize their bigotry.

Default Why Not Both?

I don't see it so much as a religious thing as I see it I generational thing. I myself am A religious leader and I have no problems theologically or otherwise with LGBT people. Many of those in my church do, but by and large it's people who are older than 50. And as it turns out the Christian population in the US at least is skewed older with a median age well over 50 and in my tribe The median age is 65! So if the majority of people who represent an organization or old I would expect the Organization to reflect older values. And for gods sake, homosexual relationships were essentially illegal up until the 70s and 80s. If acceptance of homosexuality is not a generational dynamic I don't know what is! I mean I don't think older people are bad, a lot of the change has been due to a better understanding and scientific research and anecdotal experience with friends and family. All things not formerly readily available to us. It's been a generational shift sort of like the inclusion of women in the workforce. We still have work to do in that regard but today it's totally normal for women to have essentially the same jobs of the men. I think The same will be true for gay and lesbian relationships relatively soon. I'm not saying everything is perfect now but we have moved forward in positive ways since for example the 1920s.

Don't get me wrong there are certainly religious bigots and fundamentalists who are insufferable and cause a lot of pain, but it is entirely possible and happens all the time that people are both religious and generous/inclusive. My hope is that within a generation it will be a non-issue in church because frankly The powerbrokers who are old will die off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think the media has given us a very slanted view as to who we are as a people. They divide us unto camps, give us names and expect us to act according to how they define us. As for me, I'm a bi, Methodist Minister of Music. I lived my life in college as exclusively gay. I refuse to let anyone or any church, define who I am or how I chose to believe. Christians cover the same spectrum as the general population. They range from very liberal to very conservative, with most living somewhere in the middle.

Thank you everyone for pointing out that most people are normal (not extremist) with their religion and being supportive. It just makes me feel bad when I see narrow-minded views. I'm so glad that you guys on here are understanding of others!

MarchinBunny

Well, I do think it's possible to be both, and I would say generally a lot of people are.
    However, to me when it really comes right down to it, those people who are against such things are not wrong about the fact their book does actually say pretty terrible things and sees being lgbt as sinful.

Those who accept both are actually not following their religion to a T. Which in my opinion is a great thing, because it means they are capable of thinking for themselves on the matter rather than following a book blindly. However at the same time it does kinda make me wonder how on one hand they can ignore a very real part of their religion, but still follow it anyway.

Doesn't really matter to me though. I think it's fine to believe what ever is is you or anyone wishes to believe and i'm pretty grateful to those are are accepting regardless of those beliefs.