View Poll Results: Bidet: do you have/use it?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I have it and it's very useful!

2 11.11%
  • Yes, I have it but I don't use it.

0 0%
  • No, I don't have it.

16 88.89%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bidet: do you have/use it?

Default Bidet: do you have/use it?

YAY, here we go with my first poll!!

This is something I've already written about on the old forum, but now I'd like to make a little survey.

Many times I've read - both here and on other fora - of how unpleasant it can be to deal with the cleanup when changing from a messy diaper, and how people avoid doing #2 in their diaper because of that. In fact I recognize that having to use wipes for that task can require a lot of time and often doesn't guarantee a perfect result, while having to shower everytime you change can be too much of a hassle.

The picture below depicts what I think to be the best possible answer to the problem:

A bidet. For further clarity, see also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bidet

Anyone remembers the scene in "Crocodile Dundee " when he arrives in a big hotel in New York and takes a while to figure out what the bidet is there for?

In fact, during my journeys around the world, I've seen that in many countries the bidet is absent even from the toilets of the most luxurious hotels' rooms (and I guess it's not very popular also in homes). Here in Italy it's a very common item, unlike in countries like France, Germany, Russia, Thailandia (to list some of the ones I remember having visited myself). And I can tell you it's VERY useful if you use diapers for their intended purposes, but I won't go into further detail to avoid this becoming too graphic and possibly disturbing... if you want I'm sure you can figure out the details by yourself...

So basically what I'd like to know is if you have it at home, if you find it useful (without being too descriptive, we don't want someone closing this topic for having become too... stinky!) and, if you like to, please also explain if it's something widespread where you live or not.

They just spray water at your bum, right? I've never even seen one, but if I did I doubt I'd use it... it sounds kinda uncomfortable!

Besides, I don't think it'd make me feel that clean, even if it does work. I'd much rather just have a shower! I don't think it's that much hassle and I always feel clean afterwards, no matter how dirty I've gotten!

Bidets are pretty great.
    I don't have one though, but I can see how they'd be handy for cleaning up after using a diaper.

And thanks to this thread I know how to spell the word! When I read the read title I was thinking "Bi Det".

Quote Originally Posted by Jack26 View Post
    They just spray water at your bum, right? I've never even seen one, but if I did I doubt I'd use it... it sounds kinda uncomfortable!
    Not exactly. It's more like a miniaturized bathtub you sit on. Of course you'll want to first have a quick rinse with running water leaving the drain open, and when you're done with this you fill up the bidet and proceed to thoroughly wash your diaper area with soap, bath foam or whatever else. It's like having a small bath only in the area you actually need it - anytime you need it, with the same effectivity of a shower minus the hassle of all the mess running down your legs and clogging the shower drain that usually has a protection grid. In fact I also use it before getting in the shower if my diaper isn't only wet.

This way it takes only 5 minutes to change from a filthy to a clean diaper with the most hygienic procedure you can do in such a short time - works perfectly also if you're not shaven down there!

Good also for avoiding the use of toilet paper when... ehm... you're not using diapers, and 100 times more quick and effective than toilet paper.

(OMG this seems the text of an adv!! I should apply as a sales manager for some bidets factory!! ).

I'd make a monument at the guy who invented it!

Tigger

They aren't common at all here, I don't rvrn think I've ever seen one anywhere before

I don't have one, and not likely to get one in the near future as I rent.

However, I'm quite certain a good number of my friends have one in their homes.

EmeraldsAndLime

Quote Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
    They aren't common at all here, I don't rvrn think I've ever seen one anywhere before
    Neither, I haven't seen one here before, at all. Only one or two at a business where they sell bathroom and toilet stuff.

I think they aren't very popular here as they use too much water than necessary. Our toilets have a half-flush/full-flush feature to save water, let alone a feature that uses even more of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lukie View Post
    Our toilets have a half-flush/full-flush feature to save water, let alone a feature that uses even more of it.
    HALT!

I'd never want to have explained myself the wrong way.... you're not supposed to do your business IN them... I mean, they're not a surrogate of the toilet... the typical bathroom configuration can be something like this:

...one next to the other.

(unless you use ONLY diapers, in which case the piece on the right is absolutely useless )

For how concerns the "half flushing" feature, it's quite common also here exp. in public places. And, after all, IMHO it's better using water than paper derived from trees...

Low flush toilets are the devil....but back on topic, bidets aren't very common over here, but I do know someone who has one...unfortunately it's been broken since I've known here, so I've never actually used one. I'll keep that on my list of lifetime goals.

EmeraldsAndLime

Quote Originally Posted by quattrus View Post
    HALT!

I'd never want to have explained myself the wrong way.... you're not supposed to do your business IN them... I mean, they're not a surrogate of the toilet... the typical bathroom configuration can be something like this:
    I know that! I just realised I worded what I said wrong. Give me a break, I just woke up when I wrote that. >_<

What I meant to say was that governments here a becoming stringent on saving water, I don't think much good would come from having something that uses more water than is required.

But on that grammar error though, don't the Japanese have toilets/bidet's that are 2-in-1. You think they would considering their living spaces aren't exactly large.