Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: We Need Nicer Protests!

Default We Need Nicer Protests!

I don't like the way millennials protest. There's this inherent 'meanness' to protests nowadays. People try to get across the point of anger, and anger doesn't fix things unless the emotion is paired with solutions. Smashing things, looting, and setting stuff on fire doesn't help anything! It just adds to the problem and paints the protesters as violent and wrong.
    I think we should go back to the hippie protests. In the face of fear and uncertainty, we should hold onto our kindness. We should hand out love beads, and dance in the streets, and have impromptu music festivals. Fighting anger with love works better than fighting anger with anger, you know?

I think part of the reason we don't emulate hippies is because those same hippies grew up to vote for Trump.

Millennials have had an angrier, darker, more violent childhood because of the world they live in. I know my family is very pacifist, but it's always seemed to me that 'legitimate' politics is simply a bunch of people following their centre-right agenda and being rotated in and out every now and then essentially regardless of what they say. Yes, it does seem like violence is the only solution.

I'm not behind it because (a) I don't believe it works and (b) because I don't think that people at large have the knowledge or sense of procedural fairness necessary to mete out violent justice fairly (i.e. people can't ever know that someone definitely deserves it), but I have to say the world I live in feels like one where using violence to get what you want is morally justifiable - because the system doesn't care and peaceful means of achieving change are all perverted and twisted to make change stop. Some people might feel the same way about it as I do and not have the practical objections that I do.

As ABs we should recognize what these "protests" are. They are a toddler's temper tantrum. Its the "I didn't get my way" response of a two-year-old: scream, yell, throw things. What makes it basically ironic is that the worst riots are destroying things in the areas that were most anti-Trump at the polls. I guess they don't want to go into the areas Trump won (those 2nd amendment types have guns and know how to use them).

I am a millennial and I am all in favor of people's right to assemble, but I rarely see it do any good. People either riot which dissolves the message of the protestors or they shout down opposing voices. With no communication I don't see how this sort of thing leads anywhere good.

The anger is video gaming it how you win .
    Violence on TV also we were not exposed to that as much.
    Plus not all pro test's are real some are paid .
    I read the wiki leaks stuff you should read them it would open your mind whats going on.
    I grew up in 60's the worst we did where I was is a fist fight.
    We were more happy it seemed one income was all that was needed.
    Now takes two and wallstreet gets the rest nice .
    The fix is in.
    Funny when obama got in we did not pro test.
    The party of tolerance my foot more violence on that party than any other party I've seen the truth is coming out we're seeing just what the Democratic party is

I've always been a supporter of peaceful protest, and my belief is that most of the millenials involved in the recent demonstrations are exercising their democratic rights. Unfortunately, protests can sometimes get overtaken by a small minority of people who have their own agendas to be agitators and to incite violence. I don't believe these actions represent the majority of the demonstrators by any means. Unfortunately, violence and anarchy make better headlines rather than reporting on a protest that was peaceful and respectful.

There's no doubt that Trump is a divisive, polarizing figure, more so than any other previous leader, and people are expressing their anger. It's interesting to compare it to the George W. Bush presidency when he was elected. Bush also won the college electoral vote while Gore won the popular vote, and progressives were opposed to his policies and questioned his competency. There were numerous demonstrations throughout Bush's term, just as there will be for Trump.

As a Canadian, I helped organize several anti- Bush protests when he visited our country. Overall the protests were lively, spirited and respectful, incorporating drums, music, jugglers, and even a picnic. Some parents even brought their children. The evening protest, however, turned sour when a small group of self-proclaimed anarchists pulled away from the general protest and went off on a snake march which turned to violence and vandalism. As organizers of the march, we cooperated fully with the police, asking their assistance to shut them down. Unfortunately the media ignored the thousands of peaceful protesters and reported instead on the few dozen who were engaged in disrupting the march. It just seems to be too common an occurrence these days, so I've limited my time on attending these events.

I've always been a sucker for youth and I can understand why younger people, particularly the ones who may be new to exercising their democratic right to vote, would feel disenfranchised by the system. Voter turnout was pathetic with only half the electorate showing up to vote. The fact that Clinton won the popular vote means that Trump represents less than 25 percent of the voting population.

Secondly, it was Bernie Sanders who won the hearts and minds of the young people in the Democrat party and they fervently supported him, only to be betrayed by their own party leadership creating favourable conditions for a Clinton victory. I believe part of the reason for the demonstrations is that youth from both parties are feeling alienated from the electoral system after pouring their hearts and souls into this election.

So where do they go from here?

My hope is this: that millennials will continue to engage in peaceful protest with energy,, passion and creativity, while utilizing all of today's technology and social media. Most importantly, I hope they will continue to inform themselves and getting others who share their views to vote. I hope their disillusionment by this experience does not prevent them from staying involved in the political process and increasing the voter turnout. That means participating in the political process. The first step could be to work towards building a political party that actually respects its membership.
    Last edited by Starrunner; 14-Nov-2016 at 16:39.

Politics went totally out of control. There's a lot of garbage coming from both sides... and it confuses people. I know what I believe, but sometimes I don't know who to believe. Conspiracy theories, accusations, corruption, etc.... In general, I do think that the democrat party is, mostly anyway, "better".... but it does have some serious problems.

Quote Originally Posted by howiebabe View Post
    As ABs we should recognize what these "protests" are. They are a toddler's temper tantrum. Its the "I didn't get my way" response of a two-year-old: scream, yell, throw things. What makes it basically ironic is that the worst riots are destroying things in the areas that were most anti-Trump at the polls. I guess they don't want to go into the areas Trump won (those 2nd amendment types have guns and know how to use them).
    Not sure it is just a "temper tantrum" I been watching, and I think what we are seeing is about half the nation go thought the stages of Grief and Loss.
    First is denial, as I watched CNN on election night they kept talking about where there could be more Clinton votes.
    Second Anger, all the protests going on
    Third: bargaining, the chaing.org particion asking the electroal collage to not vote Trump.
    I am wondering what form depression will take for those going though it. But finally I am sure that people will come to accept it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaliborio View Post
    I think part of the reason we don't emulate hippies is because those same hippies grew up to vote for Trump.

Millennials have had an angrier, darker, more violent childhood because of the world they live in. I know my family is very pacifist, but it's always seemed to me that 'legitimate' politics is simply a bunch of people following their centre-right agenda and being rotated in and out every now and then essentially regardless of what they say. Yes, it does seem like violence is the only solution.
    Really? I am an old hippie, the real deal. I was a charter member of UNDO, meaning, I was part of an organization that burned their draft cards. Yes, draft cards. Millennials have their own problems, but violence, for the most part, isn't one of them unless you are a minority. My generation was drafted to fight a stupid, pointless war in rice paddies where you never knew who the enemy was. In addition, I was out as gay which meant I could be put in jail or a mental institution at the whim of anyone in charge, including my parents. When they discovered I was gay, they sent me to a mental institution for what we used to call, "re-grooving". My name was published in a radical magazine called Evergreen, published with other names when the FBI list got '60s hacked, identifying us as people of interest.

My wife was a member of the SDS, Students for a Democratic Society which was another group being investigated by the F. B. I. We both demonstrated against the Vietnam War and we demonstrated for Civil Rights. My wife graduated from Kent state in 1970. If you don't know what happened there, May, 1970, you fail your civics test.

The theory was that when the system breaks down, the only thing one can do is civil disobedience. That said, I don't support the current demonstrations because what they're demanding has passed. Where were they months ago when it would have mattered? It makes more sense to wait and see what this administration does. If it is as dysfunctional as I think it will be, then hit the streets. The media only cares about making its sponsors happy, so demonstrating is news and it sells products here in Babylon (my new name for the United States).

I could tell at least 100 stories about what it was to live as a college student during the last half of the '60s. I wouldn't trade the experience for a million dollars because it made me who I am. We are inseparable, pain and growth.

It's the media that separates us into generations that are different, but we are all the same humans, sharing the same needs, desires and values. The technology that shapes us to some degree, has changed. The younger generations are more comfortable accessing information on their cell phones than my generation, but does that make us so very different?

We've gone through a very ugly year and it promises to get worse before it gets better. There will be demonstrations and unrest and then there will be the same apathy that sadly, defines most of us. We feel powerless and for the most part, we are. But when we hit the streets in numbers, we can't be completely ignored, because we vote, and we have purchasing power, something Babylon respects. Hang in there baby and stay vigilant. Power to the people!

I'm sure if Hillary would have won, Trump supporters would have just peacefully accepted it...right? They seem like such peaceful, caring, empathetic people.