Thread: High School sports

Default High School sports

So looking back on high school, now technically a sophomore in college (spent one year at university, one year at our local community college), the thing I really miss most, sadly, about high school was high school sports. Don't get me wrong, I was a good student, I never failed or got C's in classes (except for Spanish), and ended up with a pretty decent GPA. I was always brought up playing sports, I played 3 sports all 3 years in high school, so basically a sport for every season. I played baseball, soccer, and hockey, and I mixed up hockey and skiing quite a bit. I lettered in soccer for 3 years, and the others for 2 years. My favorite high school moment, from my 4 years, was definitely beating our up-valley rival for the first time in 20 years (either home or away). Sadly, we had a low attendance for the game, since it was a Saturday day game, but that was the best memory I will definitely remember since high school. I have a picture of the day after we beat them, when we got the first page of the local paper. It was such a huge moment, beating a team no one else had beaten the last 20 years. In 2012, Battle Mountain went 20-0 and won the 4A State Championships in Colorado, which is pretty impressive, so they have been a lot better than us. Any moments from high school sports you guys have?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	995089_10152482617870415_665269317739288842_n.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	95.4 KB 
ID:	27934

Having to spar every day with an all-state wrestler when I was an 82lb sophomore. Lowest weight class, 95. He cut down from 110 or so. Not eating for 3 months didn't make him charitable. Not much fun getting your brains beat in day in and day out. I was a hairless 13, he was an 18 year old senior with a beard. I stuck with it, things got better. Better still in college. Much better at other sports in my 40's and 50's.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxx View Post
    Having to spar every day with an all-state wrestler when I was an 82lb sophomore. Lowest weight class, 95. He cut down from 110 or so. Not eating for 3 months didn't make him charitable. Not much fun getting your brains beat in day in and day out. I was a hairless 13, he was an 18 year old senior with a beard. I stuck with it, things got better. Better still in college. Much better at other sports in my 40's and 50's.
    Kinda wish I would have played in college... Only sport I really did than like besides hanging out with friends and playing soccer and stuff was playing intramural flag football.

Quote Originally Posted by goodnitesco96 View Post
    Kinda wish I would have played in college... Only sport I really did than like besides hanging out with friends and playing soccer and stuff was playing intramural flag football.
    Went out for cross-country in college to get in shape for wrestling season. One of the highlights: We (the cross-country team) beat the football team in flag football during homecoming week. To be fair, this was Div. III stuff, not Big 10. No scholarships. Every team was a walk on situation. I could've tried out for football if I wanted.

Edit: My parents believed, as I do, that sports are a necessary outlet for energetic kids. Burns off a lot of aggression that could be misspent elsewhere. One of my favorite quotes ever is from Junior's middle school wrestling coach. "Enjoy this while you can boys, in ten years you go to jail for it"