Not open for further replies.

CinnaSwirls

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Diaperfur
  4. Little
I don't know if anyone else has this problem, but a lot of times when I put a diaper on, the first side I tape up seems to connect differently then the second. The first side will be tighter then the second side, even though the second side has the tapes close to the front of the diaper. And then, when I make the tapes look even, the tightness sometimes will not be equal on both sides.

I stand when I put a diaper on. If I lay down could I possibly get a more equilateral feel more often?

A common problem but with practice you will learn to place tapes on the same spots left and right in relation to markings or padding for an even fit. Of course many cultures believe summitry is bad or unlucky and I have learned to embrace it in my later years. My truck has one door on the left and three on the right!

I'd recommend finding markings of the diaper to help you nail the tape positions every time. Once the top ones are even, it's relativity easy to make adjustments elsewhere and get the diaper to shift into a more natural position.

irnub said:
Once the top ones are even, it's relativity easy to make adjustments elsewhere and get the diaper to shift into a more natural position.

Huh. I always taped a top and then a bottom tape before moving on to the other side. I'll try it this way.

Left, right, left, right. Little finger across the seems of your trousers.

I don't see laying down as being a good idea to getting a better fit. When you put so much weight on the diaper and can't easily shift it an inch to one side etc to adjust it, it just looks like you're going to need a measure of luck to get a good fit. AND if you are leaning forward to apply the tapes (almost required, to see what you're doing) you are flexing your stomach muscles and that's going to change your fit as you are taping, and is going to then UNfit when you lay back down or stand up. Laying on a surface you sink into (like a bed) seems to make matters worse. So I just don't understand how anyone diapers themselves laying on a bed.

But you say you stand so that's that. I have to keep in mind to put the first tape on a LITTLE loose, because then I pull in the other side for the 2nd tape, so that will snug up the other side a little. If I try to get the first one snug initially, I either end up too tight around the waist, the 2nd tape is farther out than the first, or I have to move the first.

Also a plug for "pretaping" - I like to apply all four tapes to my diaper BEFORE pulling it on, like a pullup. Once you figure out where the tapes go, you will get a perfect fit, every time. You can pretape several to save time later (like when running late for school/work), and tapes that have been stuck down for a few hours are MUCH less likely to pop than tapes you just stuck down. (and zero risk of lotion or powder contamination) So I think it's just an all-around good idea. (you'll also get perfect symmetry)

I have the same issue, but recognise it alters if you are right handed or left handed. Assuming you have the ability to lift your backside off the nappy, then lying on it when fastening is better. You can lift, reposition and check before taping. Also, if your legs are bent when fastening, you will find the nappy fits tighter when you relax and your legs straighten.

CinnaSwirls said:
I don't know if anyone else has this problem, but a lot of times when I put a diaper on, the first side I tape up seems to connect differently then the second. The first side will be tighter then the second side, even though the second side has the tapes close to the front of the diaper. And then, when I make the tapes look even, the tightness sometimes will not be equal on both sides.

I stand when I put a diaper on. If I lay down could I possibly get a more equilateral feel more often?

When you do your first tape I pull it tight and then release it some slack slightly before coming down, that'll allow me to get the opposite side tape to about the same position and tight as well.

I start out laying down. I attach the top tapes first.
then, I sit up. Pull everything up snug, and then, with legs close together, I attach the lower ones.
at a slight downward angle.

Everyone is going to have a their own way of doing things. It really just boils down to experience and experimentation. Pay attention to where the tapes are landing on your diaper and try to make an adjustment on the next one. Eventually you will get the feel for what works for you, your body shape, the product you're using, and your comfort. Experiment with the taping order and placement and you will soon find what works for you.

My way to get a perfect fit is doing it sitting on the bed.
Easy to adjust the rise back/front before taping.

Lay the diaper with about a third of the front of the diaper hanging from the edge of the bed.
Sit down on it, pull up the front, try out the fit (wiggle about)
Stretch out the front wing with left hand to the right, and stretch out the right back lower tape with right hand and tape in place.
Repeat for the other side (switch hands)
With only the lower tapes in place, stand up, adjust for comfortability, and run a finger along the edges to make sure the leakguards are in place.
Sit down again and do the upper tapes in the same way as the lower ones, suck in the tummy to get a tight fit.

This way works great for me, and I have done it so many times I could almost do it sleeping :D

As to symmetry, I get it almost every time, but practise makes perfect.

Laying down works best for me. I pull the front to center, then pull the top tapes and without peeling them yet, wiggle untill i can pull them an even distance to the center. . once I'm centered I peel and stick the tops, then I move to the lowers and do the same thing.

My diaper changes take a long time because after more than a year of 24/7 I'm still trying to figure it out.

My tape order is bottom tapes first, and I always make sure the tapes fall the same way relative to certain points on my hipbone.

I've had this happen with a few packages of Goodnites. Quite irritating because they have elastic so you can't just redo it. Having it migrate off-center can be a problem.

i have always been a bottom left, bottom right, top left, top right kinda guy, but then again i always change standing up..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back