Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Computer trouble please help

Default Computer trouble please help

I was on my computer yesterday when I got an alert saying that I had some viruses. I looked at my security settings and it turns out that the free trial of a sercurity program that vista comes with was over so I said forget it and ran out and got McAfee Security for it and it works great but there's a problem. Everytime I come on here the home page looks like this.

http://i351.photobucket.com/albums/q442/Sandman8271991/screen1.jpg

When I click on that yellow bar I get this.

http://i351.photobucket.com/albums/q442/Sandman8271991/ANG09.jpg

That is a biult in prompt to get that product but I shouldn't need to get that because I have McAfee.

What should I do?

I would ditch McAfee (I dont like it) and get a free version or anti-virus.

Download AntiVir Personal 9.0.0.386 - FileHippo.com.
    Download Avast! Home Edition 4.8.1335 - FileHippo.com
    Download AVG Free Edition 8.5.283 - FileHippo.com

The three listed above are 100% free and I have never had any problem with them.

I am positive that if you ditch McAfee and install one of the tree above that will fix you problem. As for the prompt to buy ANG. DONT. It is a rogue anti-spyware application. Ever heard Antivirus 2010 or Total Virus. Same thing. They can hijack you internet browser. Try and make you believe that you have virus on you pc and delete vital system files.

Thats just my advice though

Hmmm, you may have a browser hi-jacker. Some anti-virus programs cannot detect this.

You should download Malwarebytes' Anti-malware program-
    Malwarebytes Anti-Malware - Free software downloads and reviews - CNET Download.com

This should get your browser back on the right track. Lemme know!

Personally.. I don't think it's a virus at all.

It looks like you've turned the security settings in your browser so high that it's even disabled style sheets except for the sites it considers to be 'highly trusted'. Anyway, turns out adisc doesn't look like it's one of them. Before spending all kinds of time trying out which antivirus software does and doesn't work for you, go into your internet settings and lower your security settings a notch or two. You might also want to check and see if adisc.org is blocked on any of the lists it has.

No viruses I've ever seen strip a page of the CSS. That would be a lame ass virus. Most of them usually end up using your computer to send out more viruses to spread malware. The biggest questions in determining if you have a virus are: 1. Has my computer slowed down a ton in the past few weeks? 2. Do I get strange popups even when I'm not on the internet or a site that I know doesn't have popups?

If you answer negatory to both of these, you're probably clean. Either way, I suggest you get AVG. You can get a free version that does all the virus scanning of any major anti virus. It's what I use on my computers and I'm (knock on wood) virus free.

Peace

I back the AVG idea, been using it for three years now and never had a problem. Also that ANG one is clearly a fake, a well respected and established, not to mention MS certified anti virus company would not make the mistake of putting a capital I in the name header for the product they are trying to sell. "Professional LIcense"???? dont think so

Woops, I totally take back what I said.

Indeed, you are infested with malware. Don't buy that product no matter what you do- it is a scam, it's how they make their money. They'll install a fake virus cleaner on your computer that will just ignore their own virus and probably plant more.

Seriously, as soon as you can get AVG and do a full system can and work on getting rid of this. It can only get worse unless you do something

angelabauer

This is for sure malware. Note it claims to be from "ANG" an obvious spoof of AVG.

For weeks another spoof scam offering a similar "service" from "msantivirus.com) has been attacking computers not protected by a hard-wired firewall.

AVG is considered very good free protection. Norton is not free and is also considered very good protection.

Think of using antivirus (AVG or Norton) as if they were a disposable diaper. Then using a hard-wire firewall would be like covering your disposable with separate waterproof pants.

One of the easiest and least expensive hard-wire firewall is to buy a router, such as Linksys, installing that between your modem and computer.

Quote Originally Posted by angelabauer View Post
    This is for sure malware. Note it claims to be from "ANG" an obvious spoof of AVG.

For weeks another spoof scam offering a similar "service" from "msantivirus.com) has been attacking computers not protected by a hard-wired firewall.

AVG is considered very good free protection. Norton is not free and is also considered very good protection.

Think of using antivirus (AVG or Norton) as if they were a disposable diaper. Then using a hard-wire firewall would be like covering your disposable with separate waterproof pants.

One of the easiest and least expensive hard-wire firewall is to buy a router, such as Linksys, installing that between your modem and computer.
    It sounds like you are advocating use of NAT to avoid malware.

This is an incomplete solution.

To the OP: Spybot Search & Destroy coupled with Ad-Aware should take you a really long way in getting rid of malware, and HijackThis will let you take a log file of running processes and submit it to the site, where you can see if everything looks normal or not.

Coupled with something like AVG and regular virus/malware scanning, you can go a long way to preventing this from happening again in the future.

Thanks for your advice guys I played with my security settings and was able to uninstal that program that was causing the problem.

It may not be as much as a bad page load or your ISP is having some technical issues. But since you are not running mac I would think to agree with the other users on it being a virus of sort, maybe try using some Microsoft anti-virus software and getting Firefox?

EDIT

Sorry my fault.. just read the last post and to see it's all better.. but anyhow try out Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome or Apple Safari..